Evenings start getting lighter from tomorrow night...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,520
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I dread this time when it starts getting lighter at nights, I love cold dark nights :( But 21st December marks the winter solstice... :) Today is supposed to have the least daylight hours of the year.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Only if the light can penetrate the fog. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just noticed this myself this morning - hurrrah! I have some bulbs coming out too so I feel like Spring isn't so far off now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dread this time when it starts getting lighter at nights, I love cold dark nights :( But 21st December marks the winter solstice... :) Today is supposed to have the least daylight hours of the year.

I don't like light nights, I love dark cold nights too. :)
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree wholeheatedly. I hate and detest the lengthening evenings - however it's going to be a week or two before it really becomes apparent, and it'll still be getting dark at a civilised hour for the next two or three months. I recognise that not everyone shares this view!

But actually, the evenings have been getting lighter for about a week now. We had a thread on DS last year which drew my attention to something I'd never noticed before. Although today is actually the shortest day, the earliest sunset is actually on or around Dec 14th, and the latest sunrise is not today, but around Jan 2nd. I'm sure our experts will give us the explanation for why this is so.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote:
    I agree wholeheatedly. I hate and detest the lengthening evenings - however it's going to be a week or two before it really becomes apparent, and it'll still be getting dark at a civilised hour for the next two or three months. I recognise that not everyone shares this view!

But actually, the evenings have been getting lighter for about a week now. We had a thread on DS last year which drew my attention to something I'd never noticed before. Although today is actually the shortest day, the earliest sunset is actually on or around Dec 14th, and the latest sunrise is not today, but around Jan 2nd. I'm sure our experts will give us the explanation for why this is so.

Yes. I've never noticed the evenings getting lighter from Dec 14th, but I always did notice the slightly darker mornings even after Dec 21st.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if the light can penetrate the fog. :D

What fog? It's been dazzling sun and frost here since Saturday.

G
  • Homer's ButtHomer's Butt Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote:
    What fog? It's been dazzling sun and frost here since Saturday.

G

Maybe the fog that caused all of this? - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6198737.stm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunrise and sunset times for different locations can be found at www.weather.co.uk (enter the location you want to check, then when it comes up click on 'climate statistics')

For my location (Norwich) sunset today is 1542 whilst it was 1540 for Dec 10th to 16th. Sunrise today is 0804, then getting later - 0806 on Dec 26th to Jan 4th before starting to get earlier again.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the fog that caused all of this? - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6198737.stm

Caused at Heathrow.

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the dark evenings, it's nice to go home and snuggle up in the warm with the curtains closed.

I can't stand the dark mornings though, it feels like I'm gettng up in the middle of the night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one am dreading the light evenings again. I hate the,, it makes me feel like the day just won't end :mad:

The dark evenings are really relaxing though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    dammit - this is the only time I get to sleep past 8am! when its dark out and I convince the kid shes up too early and needs to go back to bed lol
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the light evenings and long days of light! I like the coming of January and the feeling that Spring is just around the corner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The days lengthen by a cock's stride each day after today.
    ?
    No, I don't know either, but it is something my grandfather used to say

Fog & frost here today. I notice that the spider's webs outside are frozen. Very pretty but bad luck for the spiders.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the dark evenings. Thankfully it takes a few weeks before we actually notice much difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, cant wait! Its Burning of the Clocks tonight!! :D

http://www.burningtheclocks.co.uk/ - I love it :)
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Milky Joe wrote:
    Yep, cant wait! Its Burning of the Clocks tonight!! :D

http://www.burningtheclocks.co.uk/ - I love it :)

It all goes on in Brighton doesn't it? :D
  • ricky77ricky77 Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nooo...the longer evenings is good! ;):)

I *love* summer, hate winter. For me, you can't beat the warm sun on your back, packed beer gardens, and that smell of freshly cut grass that seems to be everywhere!

Perhaps because I was born in the summer, who knows!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    It all goes on in Brighton doesn't it? :D
    Hell yes. Any excuse for some crazy "new-age" festival/pissup ;)
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind the darker evenings - I can't stand the height of Summer when its sunny until about 10pm.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ricky77 wrote:
    Nooo...the longer evenings is good! ;):)

I *love* summer, hate winter. For me, you can't beat the warm sun on your back, packed beer gardens, and that smell of freshly cut grass that seems to be everywhere!

Perhaps because I was born in the summer, who knows!
    Everyone seems so much more cheerful in the spring and summer and all the plants are out and windows open and tourists around. Love it.
  • MicrobialMicrobial Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Forgive me if I'm being pedantic or just plain thick, but according to the table on this page and this page and many others, the shortest day is actually on 22nd this year.
  • boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My calenndar as the 22nd as the shortest day too! It varies from year to year, I think the 22nd is pretty much as late as it gets though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the leap year cycle - this year it will still fall on Dec 21st in some parts of the world though. :p

Next year the exact moment of the winter solstice will fall a little further into Dec 22nd, then all back to the 21st in 2008 because of the extra day in February.
  • AubreyStevensAubreyStevens Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like lighter evenings.

I made a carboard thingy to put on my bedroom window so that the sun in the morning doesn't shine thru the curtains and wake me up early.