Anne Widdecombe versus

square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
Forum Member
3 programmes, starting tomorrow on ITV1 with Prostitution then the Benefits Culture and then Truants.

Should be good viewing, I enjoyed her Tonight special versus The Hoodies. :D

Comments

• moonglowmoonglow Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This woman is brilliant. She's a tough, no nonsense lady and shame she's not in charge of this country. Where the vast majority of our politicians, mostly of whom are men, are scared to introduce tough laws or zero tolerance etc, it takes a woman like Ann Widdecombe to show them how to do it. Good on her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if the police were out there taking the prostitutes - and the men using them - into custody, Ann Widdecombe wouldn't need to be out there doing their job.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be interesting. Ann Widdecombe has always got plenty to say for herself!
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,038
    Forum Member
    moonglow wrote: »
    This woman is brilliant. She's a tough, no nonsense lady and shame she's not in charge of this country. Where the vast majority of our politicians, mostly of whom are men, are scared to introduce tough laws or zero tolerance etc, it takes a woman like Ann Widdecombe to show them how to do it. Good on her!

It's all very well being 'tough' on crime, but she's also got Draconian views on anything slightly different.

Gay people, cyclists. Anything's a target for the bitter old cow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prostitutes are perfectly reasonable target IMHO. They shouldn't be there and those using them are just fuelling their addictions - and with it the demand for drugs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonParadise,

You sound a very bitter disrespectful person by making an extremely personal attack on Anne Widdecombe by calling her what you did. Its down to people like you that this country is in a mess, afraid to do anything - ie: cowards.

This thread was about prostitutes and crime - not gay people and cyclists! You obviously can't understand the basic thread. Maybe its just strong women in general you don't like? Thank god she's where she is and you aren't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann Widdecome used to remind me of my history teacher - same diminutive stature, same snappy tone of voice. But I can no longer say that now she's hit the peroxide!
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GH Online wrote: »
    Prostitutes are perfectly reasonable target IMHO. They shouldn't be there and those using them are just fuelling their addictions - and with it the demand for drugs.

The problem with prostitution is that it is out on the streets, blighting those areas, not safe in licensed brothels. Better to regulate than criminalise in my view (as with drugs).

You have the supply and demand thing backwards. If there was no demand for prostitutes, they could not work for cash to "fuel their addictions". Then maybe they'd be mugging or worse instead to buy drugs. At least prostitution is a legal and consensual way of earning cash, mugging and dealing isn't.

Anne Widdicombe is good entertainment value, but some of her views are very extreme and her solutions over-simplistic.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's face it, you need somebody with a bit of backbone in charge, which is what we haven't got at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,846
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Let's face it, you need somebody with a bit of backbone in charge, which is what we haven't got at the moment.
    Ain't that the truth. Rav for PM! :D

Seriously though - I'm looking forward to watching this. :):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very well being 'tough' on crime, but she's also got Draconian views on anything slightly different.

Gay people, cyclists. Anything's a target for the bitter old cow.

i LOVE anne! shes great...

this country needs an "innocence revolution" she picks out on the filth and grime on the streets and shows it for what it is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    You have the supply and demand thing backwards. If there was no demand for prostitutes, they could not work for cash to "fuel their addictions". Then maybe they'd be mugging or worse instead to buy drugs. At least prostitution is a legal and consensual way of earning cash, mugging and dealing isn't.
    ANY "mugging or worse" to fund a drugs habit should be dealt with most severely. My concern is not for the addicts but those innocent sods who have had to endure their homes being pillaged and valuables taken by those desperate for their next fix.
  • Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GH Online wrote: »
    Perhaps if the police were out there taking the prostitutes - and the men using them - into custody, Ann Widdecombe wouldn't need to be out there doing their job.

From the wording of your post, I got this image of Ann in a peephole bra and suspenders, standing under a lamp-post.
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Ally Ross last week:

Anne widdecombe versus Prostitution

Pools panel verdict: Away win.

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I will watch this. I like Ann, I don't know if I'd ever vote for her - but I think she has integrity.

Didn't she do an agony aunt show - that was a bit painful from memory, but versus the hoodies she was good.

Give her the teatime slot ITV. Ann sings Copa Cobana :p lovely stuff ! She's so hot now she's a blondina (joke people, joke :eek: ) PS wouldn't it be good if she investigated this from the inside, it would be like when Tyne Daly went undercover in Cagney and Lacey :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part 4

Anne Widdecombe vs The hairdresser
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member
    It could be ok i suppose.. i might watch it if i remember
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonParadise,

You sound a very bitter disrespectful person by making an extremely personal attack on Anne Widdecombe by calling her what you did. Its down to people like you that this country is in a mess, afraid to do anything - ie: cowards.

This thread was about prostitutes and crime - not gay people and cyclists! You obviously can't understand the basic thread. Maybe its just strong women in general you don't like? Thank god she's where she is and you aren't.

To be honest, it seems to be more of a love-in for big Anne and her unique brand of vigilante justice.:D

There's always some right-wing sanctimonious prat kicking about ready to set the world to rights, but when you actually give them power they do the same as anyone else, bugger all.
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonParadise,

TBH the thread is about a TV programme presented by AW, therefore any discussion of said presenter is to be expected. On that basis I suggest it is you who does not understnd the thread. By the very nature of discussion there will be people who have opinions that differ from yours and you have accept this. If you can't then I suggest you do not frequent these boards (particularly showbiz) because they're full of threads were people enjoy exchanging views and opinions. As for AW it perfectly acceptable to have issues with this lady as some of her opinions and ideas are draconian in nature and certainly do not deal with certain aspects of society and it's structures with much sympathy or respect.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely! Anne and Mo Molam was another formidable woman; they had more courage and balls between them that our male Prime Ministers put together. They'd make Britain great again. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diddygirl,

You obviously didn't read my message properly. I was criticising someone on here for making a personal attack on Anne Widdecombe. I find calling her a "bitter old cow" deeply disrespectful and ignorant. If you don't like somebody for their views thats fair enough, but to make a personal attack like the person did on here shows their ignorance. Funny though, but its always the "lefties" who come out with these ignorant and disprespectful views. Thank god theyre in the minority!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as a loath the woman and disagree with her on most issues I'll still be watching. The draconian old bat is at least good for entertainments sake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how's its mostly men on here who have it in for Anne Widdecombe. Somebody else calling her a Draconian Old Bat. Men don't seem to like strong women. Must be their insecurities! The men who insult Anne Widdecombe are the same men who would insult any strong woman.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am male (very much so) and admire her for her strength of character, a few more like her in Government and we might bring this whimpish country back on its feet and be great once more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how's its mostly men on here who have it in for Anne Widdecombe. Somebody else calling her a Draconian Old Bat. Men don't seem to like strong women. Must be their insecurities! The men who insult Anne Widdecombe are the same men who would insult any strong woman.

So just because I don't like her I have a complex about strong women? Wrong! I admire strong women. I respect the fact Widdecombe has principles, but I disagree with her on all of them and would say the exact same about any man like her.