What were your opinions on Sonia and Martin (EE)

KissesDontLieKissesDontLie Posts: 450
Forum Member
Just interested in the forum's opinion on Sonia and Martin, and the storylines which centered around them (the whole lesbian fiasco, Martin being stabbed etc) :)

Comments

• ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,219
    Forum Member
    The Martin and Sarah plot was really good, I wished they had continued it. I didn't mind Sonia, but turning her into a bisexual and having a very repetivie plot where her and Pauline would argue got really tiresome and by the end I was glad to see them leave.

I wouldn't be against a return for Martin and Rebecca, they could even recast them and I wouldn't mind.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching EE when they left. I really enjoyed their stories in the end. Their whole history together was really interesting. I thought the stalker storyline was a bit of a let down but when they found 'Chloe' i.e. Rebecca I thought it was brilliant. I really used to love Martin at that point because he became a right good little Dad. I haven't watched it since but I know Sonia returned at one point so I guess they since split up off screen and Martin got Rebecca.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Sonia but Martin was a bit boring. I never took to them as a couple but I enjoyed Sonia's feuding with Pauline.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Martin would never have looked twice at sonia, just like jamie would never have looked twice at sonia.
  • LucyyculLucyycul Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin would never have looked twice at sonia, just like jamie would never have looked twice at sonia.

Very true Jamie and Sonia never ran true
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see Sonia return... with her child..
  • NickJordanNickJordan Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I loathed them. They were so unbelievable together and even worse apart
  • RixionRixion Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked that crazy girl trying to ruin everything but the rest was dire.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They became very tiresome towards the end and the whole Sonia/Naomi lesbian storyline was dire. It was nice that they got a happy ending though reuniting after their divorce and leaving with Rebecca happily. It was such a shame when Sonia returned for 1 episode they had her mention they'd split up as Martin had had an affair. It was unnecessary as it didn't even lead to Sonia returning full time she was only back for one episode they could easily have explained his absence.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NickJordan wrote: »

Agreed.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,219
    Forum Member
    They became very tiresome towards the end and the whole Sonia/Naomi lesbian storyline was dire. It was nice that they got a happy ending though reuniting after their divorce and leaving with Rebecca happily. It was such a shame when Sonia returned for 1 episode they had her mention they'd split up as Martin had had an affair. It was unnecessary as it didn't even lead to Sonia returning full time she was only back for one episode they could easily have explained his absence.

They had her previosuly say she had married problems just so she'd jump in Phil Mitchells bed, it was very bizarre.
  • KissesDontLieKissesDontLie Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    They had her previosuly say she had married problems just so she'd jump in Phil Mitchells bed, it was very bizarre.

I found it a bit hilarious :D
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I ever liked them together and this is coming from someone who liked them as individual characters.

Sonia Jackson, for example was one of the rare few teenagers who had a good head on her shoulders. She was ambitious, strong willed and had an opinion. Where there was a Zoe Slater, there was a Sonia Jackson. She also stood up to bullys like Phil Mitchell, and for that, she'll always score brownie points for me.

It was the point where EE paired her up with Martin that the character drastically lost it's appeal. For one, she was totally mismatched with Martin. Even if I could forget that he got her pregnant at 15, treated her like dirt and then killed the true love of her life (Jamie), I really did think, as a pair they had zero chemistry. Actually, Sonia had zero chemistry with the Fowlers, full stop. Her hostile relationship with her mother-in-law, Pauline didn't make great TV. Pauline was also a character who was suffering at the time.

I also found during this time, Sonia became a stuck up snob. While Sonia always wanted more out of life and didn't want to settle for having a stall at the market (nothing wrong with that), she developed this superiority complex, which only intensified when she met Niaomi. I loathed how she treated her husband, looked down on him for selling fruit, yet it was good enough for her when she married him. :rolleyes: Her affair with Niaomi was also tedious. I never had anything good to say about the "getting Chloe/Rebecca back" plot either. It had plot holes from start to finish.

The best of Sonia and Martin was when Sarah the stalker came into thier lives. That's it really.

Sonia for me was always at her peak with Jamie and she had good chemistry with the Mitchells and Brannings. It was when she became a Fowler she went down hill.
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonia was a terrible character played by a terrible actress.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I liked them although turning Sonia into a bisexual was silly. The plot with that mad woman (sarah was it?) was good.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see Martin back but not Sonia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Hate them and their wee brat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I hated Sonia, I liked Martin though
  • SupercalifragilSupercalifragil Posts: 1,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like either and found she was an unbelievably bad actress: over dramatic, exagerated, her crying scenes made me cringe.

I have not missed them!
  • funcat650funcat650 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucyycul wrote: »
    Very true Jamie and Sonia never ran true
    NickJordan wrote: »
    I didn't like either and found she was an unbelievably bad actress: over dramatic, exagerated, her crying scenes made me cringe.

I have not missed them!

All these:).
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bored me to tears tbh.

Today's young cast get a lot of stick around here, but i think the likes of Lola and Lauren are infinantly more watchable than the likes of Sonia.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't mind Martin, but Sonia bored me to tears. And her week-long lesbianism was laughable :rolleyes:

Martin was actually a decent character and probably would have fared better if he wasn't paired up with the dreadful Sonia. I quite liked his, albeit brief, relationship with Carly Wicks. But his marriage to Sonia was just relentless misery.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they were OK,I liked the earlier storylines with them it got a bit silly at the end though.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agreee. And Martin was a bit of a plank too.
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind them, at times even enjoyed them. Especially with the stalker.

But in the end, I hated how easily everyone pointed their finger at Sonia for having killed Pauline when she didn't, the feuding got repetitive, the lies to get Rebecca back were hideous and so was the lesbian part. They should have either done that properly, by making Sonia stay with Naomi, or at least be curious about other women when they spilt, made her discover she ws bisexual for all I care, as it would have helped to give her more possible storylines etc. The reaction of Jim and Dot would have been priceless, especially if Sonia would decide to date a guy after they finally accepted the thought of her and a girl.

I did not like Martin in his bully/crook period, but Sonia's desricption of how it felt like, seeing him, knowing he killed Jamie was marvellous!! And the parts where Sonia's need to explore what life had to offer, get a good job, make something of herself and Martins desire to keep the family stall right outside their fornt door clashed and led to misunderstandings, were good too. It seems to me any couple where one if far more educated than the other will come across such a thing once or twice at least.

When Sonia got back, I did not like her anymore.

I would not mind a return, but please, no more recasts, I have had enough of those for the next decade!! They can use another actress for the kid, that would not be too odd, I would not even know which one she was in a line up, to be fair, but that is normal with soapkids, unless you see a lot of them, like old Ben, or Tiffany.

For this return, they would need to be a family. I would hate for them to come back divorced or something, they are not MAx and Tanya or Ian and Jane. After the affair, Sonia may give Martin a second chance. I do not like that idea, would not advice many people to do it, but a lot has happened, she hasn't been a saint either (did she not cheat when she went lesbian?) and if it true love, well, go for it. But that should have happened ages before they set foot on the Square again. I don't want to see that part, I want them back in the shape of a union, like when they left.

Sonia may decide to move in with Dot, what with her being a nurse and Dot may be in need of some help. MArtin and Rebecca would come with her, Martin can get a local job, or even work the fruit and veg stall again and make friends with some neighbors. Martin would need friends, as he does not have much family left, where Sonia would fit right in with all BRannings and Jacksons. Maritns new best pal could even be from that family, that does not matter.

How old would he be now anyway?