Jodie Foster "Comes Out"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
Forum Member
Was she ever really in? I thought it was pretty well known...

Do you think she was right to address it? I suppose visibility is important for gay rights but I don't think it's an issue so she shouldn't really feel the need to say anything.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jan/14/jodie-foster-gay-golden-globes?intcmp=122

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As she said, it used to be about letting the people in your life know, now you'd arrange a press conference! She was subtle about it, but it's nice that she felt able to acknowledge her ex.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you actually read the article and/or watch her speech? She didn't 'come out' since she's been out forever, she made a wry joke about what the public/media seem to expect of celebs nowadays when it comes to their private lives -

"But now, apparently I'm told, that every celebrity is expected to honour the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primetime reality show. You guys might be surprised, but I am not Honey Boo Boo child."
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Jodie Foster is a legend and has her head incredibly well placed on her shoulders for someone who's been in the public eye since she was little. She made some good points, albeit a bit cryptically.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Did you actually read the article and/or watch her speech? She didn't 'come out' since she's been out forever, she made a wry joke about what the public/media seem to expect of celebs nowadays when it comes to their private lives -

"But now, apparently I'm told, that every celebrity is expected to honour the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a primetime reality show. You guys might be surprised, but I am not Honey Boo Boo child."

Totally agree, that's how i read/heard it. Jodie doesnt need to "come out".....
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I think Jodie Foster is a legend and has her head incredibly well placed on her shoulders for someone who's been in the public eye since she was little. She made some good points, albeit a bit cryptically.

Me too, i think she's a great role model :)
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is fantastic - but I do question her character as she is good friends with the abominable Mel Gibson. How anyone can support that douche is beyond me:mad::(
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is fantastic - but I do question her character as she is good friends with the abominable Mel Gibson. How anyone can support that douche is beyond me:mad::(

I used to be a fan but not any more (of him, not Jodie) because of the things he has done. I have zero respect for him.

However, I believe they have been friends for a long, long time and, despite his behaviour, she has stuck by him. She might not like it; she might have lambasted him in private for it. But she's a true friend, publicly standing by him irrespective of what he has done to others.

So I admire her for that AND other reasons. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a fan but not any more (of him, not Jodie) because of the things her has done. I have zero respect for him.

However, I believe they have been friends for a long, long time and, despite his behaviour, she has stuck by him. She might not like it; she might have lambasted him in private for it. But she's a true friend, publicly standing by him irrespective of what he has done to others.

So I admire her for that AND other reasons. :)

Fair enough.

But personally I could not and would not associate myself with someone who possesses such disgusting views. Loyalty is one thing but there are certain things that cannot be defended IMHO.

Still, we're all different.
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough.

But personally I could not and would not associate myself with someone who possesses such disgusting views. Loyalty is one thing but there are certain things that cannot be defended IMHO.

Still, we're all different.

Absolutely. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently he stuck by her when she was blacklisted by Hollywood film industry (after a crazed fan shot Reagan for her.)

He helped her get acting work again, and he also helped her get her first directing role.

That's what I read anyway, and it seems believable considering how she's sticking by him now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The thing with Jodie is, she lives her life out of the spotlight and doesn't involve herself in the Hollywood drama. I'm not defending Mel (although I do think his boozing has a lot to do with his problems) but Jodie knows him and has been friends with him for a long time, and the Mel she knows is obviously different to the Mel we've seen over the last few years. I think she's just a very loyal person, a rarity in that fickle world, standing by her friends through thick and thin, and I admire her for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jodie has reached the age that she no longer cares a shit if the whole world knows about her sexuality....shes unlikely to be offered a part playing `the wife` anymore,but she can afford not to be bothered about it anymore
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jodie Fosters sexuality isn't a secret..she just chose not to make a sing and dance about it because rightly in my opinion.. She doesn't feel a need to.
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing with Jodie is, she lives her life out of the spotlight and doesn't involve herself in the Hollywood drama. I'm not defending Mel (although I do think his boozing has a lot to do with his problems) but Jodie knows him and has been friends with him for a long time, and the Mel she knows is obviously different to the Mel we've seen over the last few years. I think she's just a very loyal person, a rarity in that fickle world, standing by her friends through thick and thin, and I admire her for that.

Hear, hear!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that like couples who get married again, even though they're still married & never divorced or split?

This reminds me of the time when Dale Winton came out, as if we didn't know he was gay years before he did.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is indeed a testament to her loyalty that she remains friends with him but I cannot admire her for it I'm afraid. Drunk or not, Gibson is a disgusting racist and to associate herself with him is, IMHO, unforgivable. (I feel very strongly about it as you can tell)....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is indeed a testament to her loyalty that she remains friends with him but I cannot admire her for it I'm afraid. Drunk or not, Gibson is a disgusting racist and to associate herself with him is, IMHO, unforgivable. (I feel very strongly about it as you can tell)....

Fair enough, Pru. :)
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I love Jodie but I thought she'd "come out" years ago. I know her sexuality was always an "open secret" but I thought she had actually come out officially, too. Well, either way if she wanted to do this then good for her.
  • Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really:eek:...what a surprise:D
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's a good clip on youtube on the view with whoopi goldberg telling joan rivers she won't slag off mel gibson in public (again they're friends). you can kind of see both points of view.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a powerful speech
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen the speech and I don't understand why it's been dubbed her "coming out speech". The tongue n cheek coming out gag was a very small part of what was just a really brilliant monologue.
    When she spoke about her mum with dimentia I cried... :o
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe one day she'll actually say the words 'I'm gay' instead of all this ducking and diving. She's handled this issue bizarrely for years and it's rather rich that she claimed she 'came out years ago'...she did no such thing! To close friends maybe not to the public. She's been vague and ultra guarded about it for decades. Even this supposed coming out speech was a 'read between the lines' riddle. Still, at least it's (sort of) all out in the open officially at long last. Your turn next, Mr Clooney.
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe one day she'll actually say the words 'I'm gay' instead of all this ducking and diving. She's handled this issue bizarrely for years and it's rather rich that she claimed she 'came out years ago'...she did no such thing! To close friends maybe not to the public. She's been vague and ultra guarded about it for decades. Even this supposed coming out speech was a 'read between the lines' riddle. Still, at least it's (sort of) all out in the open officially at long last. Your turn next, Mr Clooney.

That was her point. She came out years ago to the people who matter. She doesn't agree with living her private life publicly, hence the 'not a coming out speech' line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She did come out years ago in a magazine.

Her brother even wrote an authorised biography of her 10 maybe 15 years ago that talked about her first girlfriend.

I think the speech is probably more that she's never done it with fireworks.
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Maybe one day she'll actually say the words 'I'm gay'

Why should she have to? Who are you to suggest she do this?