Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still no date? :(
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Was someone holding it wrong?

i believe someone came in with an android device thus triggering the explosion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i believe someone came in with an android device thus triggering the explosion.

ha ha ha ha ha :D
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how it starts off as an explosion and seems to end up suggesting it was just some sparks.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2492189/iPad-Air-EXPLODES-leading-mobile-phone-shop-evacuation.html

Explosion is certainly just a headline. But looking at the pic, that blackened iPad almost certainly gave out enough toxic fumes to warrant an evacuation.

I also wonder if all that copious glue they are famous for using makes it quite a useful candle.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like an Air. The bezel looks too big.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pumazooma wrote: »
    Doesn't look like an Air. The bezel looks too big.
    The Daily Mail was wrong: it was an iPad 4, not an iPad Air.
    http://mashable.com/2013/11/10/apple-ipad-explosion-not-an-ipad-air-says-vodafone/
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The retina minis are now available to order on the Apple website.

16/32GB Wi-Fi only are showing as despatched in "1-3 business days"; all others (64/128GB Wi-Fi and all cellular) in "5-10 business days".

I've just placed an order for the 32GB cellular Space Grey and its estimated delivery is 26/11-3/12. But the local Stormfront should know later today when they're getting them in, so I might end up cancelling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I haven't read all of the comments on this topic.:o I was going to purchase the ipad air but not sure anymore. Lots of good reports on other tablets like the nexus etc. Can anyone sway my judgement one way or the other?
    New to DS so hello to all.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    The retina minis are now available to order on the Apple website.

16/32GB Wi-Fi only are showing as despatched in "1-3 business days"; all others (64/128GB Wi-Fi and all cellular) in "5-10 business days".

I've just placed an order for the 32GB cellular Space Grey and its estimated delivery is 26/11-3/12. But the local Stormfront should know later today when they're getting them in, so I might end up cancelling.

Thank you. :)
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought my Air today. My First iPad. Been sticking all my data and downloading apps to it all evening, in amongst playing with Garageband of course.

Was going to wait until next Friday to see if there's a discount, but then thought if everyone does that the queues at Regent St. might be ridiculous. Time will tell if that was the right idea, but in the meantime I've got it for another week :)
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Bought my Air today. My First iPad. Been sticking all my data and downloading apps to it all evening, in amongst playing with Garageband of course.

Was going to wait until next Friday to see if there's a discount, but then thought if everyone does that the queues at Regent St. might be ridiculous. Time will tell if that was the right idea, but in the meantime I've got it for another week :)

Go easy on the apps. You will end up with a lot of clutter and most you will rarely if ever use. :-)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    fixerman wrote: »
    Go easy on the apps. You will end up with a lot of clutter and most you will rarely if ever use. :-)

I'd say go wild - download what you want and see what you like. It's easy enough to remove the ones that you don't like.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are the speakers/sound on this air? I read a few reviews that said it seemed to vibrate when on full. Not sure how true this is of course.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are the speakers/sound on this air? I read a few reviews that said it seemed to vibrate when on full. Not sure how true this is of course.

In all the reviews I've read it says the speakers are better than the previous iPads.

The speakers in my mini retina are certainly very good.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    In all the reviews I've read it says the speakers are better than the previous iPads.

The speakers in my mini retina are certainly very good.

Thanks for reply :)
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    I asked Apple about buying AppleCare+ for iPad if I buy the iPad from another online retailer than Apple and was told I can do this and Apple will verify the purchase date from the serial number.

How is this done because if I buy from Currys/John Lewis/Very have they not bought the iPad's from Apple within the past few weeks and so the 30 day purchase date will be up? I don't see how the serial number helps them with the purchase date.

Also if I didn't have AppleCare and something went wrong with the iPad in the first year could I take it to an Apple store for a fix/replacement if the iPad was bought from another retailer?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the retailer tells Apple when they have sold stock on to actual customers? Bulk stock purchase by a retailer is not the same as purchase by the actual end customer.

Also, Apple know when you have registered the serial number of the iPad (as it's with Apple that you register it), and will know when it was first activated.

I wouldn't worry about it.

As for if something went wrong in the first year... Yes, you could still take it to an Apple Retail Store, because you would have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    I asked Apple about buying AppleCare+ for iPad if I buy the iPad from another online retailer than Apple and was told I can do this and Apple will verify the purchase date from the serial number.

How is this done because if I buy from Currys/John Lewis/Very have they not bought the iPad's from Apple within the past few weeks and so the 30 day purchase date will be up? I don't see how the serial number helps them with the purchase date.
    Apple's systems will know the activation date. e.g. first time it switches on and connects to the internet.
    Also if I didn't have AppleCare and something went wrong with the iPad in the first year could I take it to an Apple store for a fix/replacement if the iPad was bought from another retailer?
    Yes.
    Forum Member
    Sorry for the belated thank you but I forgot I asked the question here so thank you for the replies. I entered the serial number for the iPad on the Apple site and they asked for my purchase date and are now offering me the option to purchase AppleCare for the iPad which is currently unopened until Christmas.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I think I will get a iPad mini for Xmas as it seems large enough for my uses .
    Forum Member
    If Apple remove an app from the store will it also be removed from the devices of people that have already downloaded it?