Why do no horror films scare me?

belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seriously I have yet to watch a horror film that has actually scared me. You get hyped with all those Paranormal Activity etc and they fall flat.

They either go for 1 of 2 things:

1.The cheap scare using a camera trick or some bad CGI demon or ghost.

2. The gore angle. I dunno whether im just de-sensitised to gore but it really doesent bother me nor is in any way scary.

I actually find myself laughing at them most times due to how ridiculous they are.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Because you are sensible and know you are only watching a movie? I would also go for the desensitised bit. I feel the same way. Most horror movies are boring these days because they rely on gore to shock. It doesn't because it's not real. They either need a decent plot or comedy.

The only bit that makes me jump in movies is the must have scene where a cat jumps out or similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh im the opposite :D Im dead scared afterwards..needs all the lights on..Ooooh lol, i feel like im in the film myself and just think of not getting killed :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't surprise me that you're de-sensitized to horror if you're from Belfast lol.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horror films often work for some people and not others, because of the buttons they push. For example, The Exorcist works quite well for me because I was brought up with the Catholic mythology the film uses. The Descent doesn't work for me, does seem to work for people who are claustrophobic.So maybe you've not yet found a film which pushes your buttons. (It's unlikely that you have no buttons to push.)

Context also makes a difference. Watching in daytime in a lit room is less scary than at night with the lights off. Watching with friends who joke or otherwise distract, doesn't help. Fast-forwarding when you get bored will prevent the film developing suspense.

And of course, Sturgeon's Law applies. 90% of horror movies are crap.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Horror films often work for some people and not others, because of the buttons they push. For example, The Exorcist works quite well for me because I was brought up with the Catholic mythology the film uses. The Descent doesn't work for me, does seem to work for people who are claustrophobic.So maybe you've not yet found a film which pushes your buttons. (It's unlikely that you have no buttons to push.)

Context also makes a difference. Watching in daytime in a lit room is less scary than at night with the lights off. Watching with friends who joke or otherwise distract, doesn't help. Fast-forwarding when you get bored will prevent the film developing suspense.

I agree..all horror films are best watched in the dark :)
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same and have yet to watch one that has got under my skin. Gore films bore me as you know it's fake and real life is way more gross.
    I'd love to see a film that scared me but it still hasn't happened. I'm scared of life though:o
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    II ThInK The scares can be found in the non hollywood horrors these days IMO theres a slew of good ones out there that are decent

I think to be even remotely a little bit scared i have to watch in the right settings

Alone
    At night
    On my own
    In the complete dark
    Surround sound

It helps greatly if your Seeing the movie for the 1st time in these conditions too IMO

Without these there not scary one bit
    and some work some dont

Still watching a halloween movie under those conditions i was a little freaked going to the toliet lol
    Forum Member
    in daytime in a lit room is less scary than at night with the lights off. Watching with friends who joke or otherwise distract, doesn't help. Fast-forwarding when you get bored will prevent the film developing suspense.
    I hardly ever watch a film in daylight. If i'm at home I close my curtains and get my reclinable chair out and the external amp cranked up to relax and watch my movies. I just wouldn't be comfortable watching any movie in the broad daylight with the sun shinging on the screen.
    True.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get scared unless I watch them alone in the night time, in my bedroom with my door shut. I remember years ago I told my mum I was going to bed to watch the exorcist and was totally engrossed in it when my mum barged into my room with her hair all out to scare me haha I shit myself

I only get scared by supernatural horror films, slashers never scare me no matter when I watch them. But films like The Changeling freak me out late at night in the dark!!!
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Modern horrors are rubbish.They rely on effects and young teenagers acting badly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Scream movies were actually quite funny, i thought i was watching a spoof for a second. They wernt scary at all.
    The only one that did was the texas chainsaw massacre..I think it was one of the new ones.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Just think though the orginal opening to scream is/was terrfying at its time but the endless parodys and pisstakes and sequals ruined that effect IMO

Scream 1s opening is really disturbing and very well done
    Its the only thing in the scream franchise that i would call truely horrorifying/scary
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I've never yet seen a film that even slightly scares me, including The Exorcist and anything else you can name.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Because they're not scary. Simplest answer is often the best one :confused:
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belfastkid wrote: »
    Seriously I have yet to watch a horror film that has actually scared me. You get hyped with all those Paranormal Activity etc and they fall flat.

2. The gore angle. I dunno whether im just de-sensitised to gore but it really doesent bother me nor is in any way scary.

I actually find myself laughing at them most times due to how ridiculous they are.

I agree mostly. The gore thing makes me howl with laughter. I remember back when The Evil Dead was released on video, it was labelled a 'video nasty'. To me, it was one of the most hilarious films Ive seen, which as it eventually turned out was the tongue-in-cheek intention of the director.

But there are horrors that I do find scary, the best ones are those that leave a lot to the imagination, most of which rely on tension built up by very fine direction. Many of these feature hardly any gore at all, it is the threat that is the scary thing. But even these affect me less as I get older.
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Because you are sensible and know you are only watching a movie? I would also go for the desensitised bit. I feel the same way. Most horror movies are boring these days because they rely on gore to shock. It doesn't because it's not real. They either need a decent plot or comedy.

The only bit that makes me jump in movies is the must have scene where a cat jumps out or similar.

That's exactly it. I can easily watch things like saw etc because I know they are just films and the the gore isn't real. Gory films don't bother me. It's more the unexpected jumps that come out of nowhere that get me.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most modern (USA) horror films are pure drivel. I think it's partly down to the look of modern horror films. They look waaaay too glossy! At the other end of the scale is the "Lets film everything through a blue filter" craze. My eyes don't seem able to adjust. And yes, I can TELL your filming day for night!!!! Obviously there are more important things I guess, crap script, characters etc. I much prefer the "look" of older horror films. Even if they aren't very good they usually involve me visually if that makes sense?
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try The Mothman Prophecies on your own in a dark room. I not been spooked since childhood but this one got to me a bit. The more eerie films seem to make adults feel unnerved rather than gore and obvious scares. The original The Ring creeped me out a bit as well, the language and cutture difference added to the feel of it.
    Forum Member
    If ''Stud like u'' is reading i bet he gets scared in his 100 year house..with creaking doors and creaking floorboards..Watch out for any dodgy mirrors hanging up, they might be evil :D:D:D
  • Nik01Nik01 Posts: 9,947
    Forum Member
    They don't scare me either, I think I've seen so many I've just become immune lol. I always end up feeling sorry for the killer/monster

Seen a few that has disturbed me though. Oh and ban CGI from horror, its not needed.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    belfastkid wrote: »

I guess you do not let your imagination or subconscious fears get the better of you.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the same with horror movies. Scared to death? No!! Nearly die laughing? YES!!!
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch The News, it will terrify you. :(
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    But isn't this fairly common statement a teensy bit teen/ego bullsh*t sometimes?

To 'mates': Horror films don't scare me cos' I'm like....really HARD, y'know! ;)

Jesting aside, I feel quite sorry for those who've never experienced a good horror film doing its job. They're missing out big time.
    Forum Member
    I think last horror film that has me a little scrared/squeamish was Dream Warriors. Was that the one with the pencil through the ear?