Monitor for desktop pc

DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At the moment I have a 19" monitor with the screen resolution set to 1280 x 900 which is perfect.

I want to get a 22 " monitor and it says in the product info that the screen resolution is 1920 x 1080

My screen resolution settings only go up to 1600 x 900 so does that mean I cant have a bigger screen.

Thanks for any help?

Comments

• DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1920x1080 is the native resolution of the 22inch monitor, but unless it's some really obscure make/model, you should
    be perfectly free to use the lower 1600x900 resolution you're used to. Although some might recommend you use the
    full HD native resolution the monitor was designed to be used with. 1920x1080 is officially classed as "full HD".
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    1920 x 1080 is Full HD which presumably is the monitor's max resolution. Just set the monitor to a lower resolution although Windows should do it automatically when you install it. You don't say which operating system you have but assuming it's W7, have a look at this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Getting-the-best-display-on-your-monitor

Edit: Just like buses, no answers then 2 come along at the same time!
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it does not. A modern Graphics Card in a PC will certainly do 1920 x 1080 usually at 60 Hz for an LCD monitor. It would have to be a very old PC Graphics Card not to do that resolution at all.

A Plug and Play monitor, the modern ones anyway, will tell the Graphic Card the resolutions they are happy with. Older monitors may require an *.INF file that essentially does the same thing.

Probably all you have to do is plug it in (Plug and Pray...) and go to the Display Properties in the Control Panel and check, if not then set it to 1920 x 1080 60 Hz. It should now be listed in there.

There is actually no point in using the lower resolution, the new monitor is larger for the extra pixels.

I'm sure you will like the extra room it will give you.

You can use the monitor at some lower resolution you used before but it won't be as crisp as the native resolution.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very little difference in price between 22" and 24", buy a 24".
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your current monitor is what is limiting your resolution to 1280 x 900. The computer should be able to do better than that. If you replace the monitor with a new 22", then that will allow 1920 x 1080, as both the PC and the monitor will support it.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, as others have said, don't have any worries about buying a 1920x1080 monitor.

When you connect it to the computer it should recognize the resolution of the monitor and offer that to you in the settings.
    In fact it will probably just set the resolution correctly without you having to do anything, depending on the operating system.

You should always run LCD/LED monitors at their native resolution. The only exception to this would be if you were playing a video game that only worked properly at a lower resolution. You would then sacrifice some sharpness of detail.
  • DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated.

My operating system is XP