My Fair Lady remake.

2»

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, patronising much? Who are you to make any kind of judgemental assumption about anyone taste in films, or anyone else's opinion? Just because I'm young (and you have no idea what age I even am unless you've stalked my profile) doesn't mean I have a particular taste in movies. The only one looking childish here is you.

If you can't handle rebuttals in arguments without resorting to childish assumptions, generalisations and blatant inaccuracies, not to mention rudeness, then maybe you should try not getting yourself into such discussions in the first place.

I think I'll go and watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, much more intellectually stimulating than banging my head on a brick wall in here...

Thanks for mentioning the name of the super-intelligent film you're going to watch. I'm in awe of you now :rolleyes:
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Thanks for mentioning the name of the super-intelligent film you're going to watch. I'm in awe of you now :rolleyes:

Just an example of the kind of film I like and regularly watch, which you seem to think young people are incapable of liking. Here's a fact for you: people of all ages have different tastes in film (and in everything), so it's simply incorrect to make the kind of sweeping, rude generalisations you've been making the whole way through this thread.

Anyway, back to My Fair Lady. As I've said, I think it should be remade with a lead actress who can sing, not someone who was dubbed, as for me that ruins the original - Marni Nixon has a wonderful voice, but it's pretty obvious that it's not Audrey Hepburn singing, so the film is, in my mind, not perfect, in fact nowhere near it, and it's a shame a talented singer/actress didn't get the role.

So it's high time amends were made, and the score brought to life again - no reason not to use cinematographic advances to update it for a new audience. Rather that than the score simply lying dormant apart from regional theatre productions...
  • Stan MarinoStan Marino Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Because there will be whole generations who have never seen the original and will not be familiar with it. So it makes sense from the studios point of view, and will potentially make a lot of money.

And please don't bother saying they should watch the original instead...the truth is most of todays generation (who the remake will be primarily aimed at) will not be likely to rush out in droves to watch a 50 year old musical.

Fact is, it's going to be made, it's going to be different, most likely it will not be as good as the original, but the fundamental point is a remake can potentially find a whole new audience and be profitable.

And if you are not in favour of it, then simply don't watch it. The original is still there, still unchanged and untouched by any new version that may come along.

Or they could, you know, make some new films?
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or they could, you know, make some new films?

? Errr...they do...all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's called an opinion Ted, you seem to be full of them so you should know.

But you are not stating an opinion, you have clearly stated it should not be remade, and you are practically demanding that people should go and watch the original. You have not said that it is your opinion or what you think, you are stating it as fact. That, my friend, is NOT an opinion, it is a statement of fact.

Frankly you have come across as arrogant and worse still, when challenged on your views you have the resorted to sarcastic remarks and ridicule of other posters.

The only thing that is clear from your later posts is that you know you have lost the argument, and have resorted to childish name-calling to deflect your embarassment.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They remade it in 1990 and called it Pretty Woman
    That must be due for a remake now too ... :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you are not stating an opinion, you have clearly stated it should not be remade, and you are practically demanding that people should go and watch the original. You have not said that it is your opinion or what you think, you are stating it as fact. That, my friend, is NOT an opinion, it is a statement of fact.

Frankly you have come across as arrogant and worse still, when challenged on your views you have the resorted to sarcastic remarks and ridicule of other posters.

The only thing that is clear from your later posts is that you know you have lost the argument, and have resorted to childish name-calling to deflect your embarassment.

Stating that as fact are you?

Seems that we all do that.

And i'd love to know how someone who has never met me knows that i'm embarassed - i couldn't be less embarassed - why should i be. You and the other poster mean nothing to me.

And saying "It should not be remade" is my opinion - it's not a demand. My opinion is that it shouldn't be remade. Must i state "IMO" after everything i say?

This isn't that difficult to understand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stating that as fact are you?

Seems that we all do that.

And i'd love to know how someone who has never met me knows that i'm embarassed - i couldn't be less embarassed - why should i be. You and the other poster mean nothing to me.

And saying "It should not be remade" is my opinion - it's not a demand. My opinion is that it shouldn't be remade. Must i state "IMO" after everything i say?

This isn't that difficult to understand.

Certainly am.

I notice you make no mention of how you have childishly ridiculed other posters, obviously you brush that aside because it does you no favours.

It's a very, very common tactic for some people who have a problem when their views are challenged, instead of simply responding and countering the other posters argument, they feel it nescessary to ridicule and insult other posters.

You really should go back and take a look at some of your responses, and take a good hard look at yourself my friend...anyone can air their views on here within certain parameters, but equally anyone else can challenge those views of they want to, also within certain parameters.That is what I and other posters have done, you did not like it and seemed ill-equipped to deal with people disagreeing with you and responded with childish comments.

If that's how you deal with those disagreeing with your views, then perhaps discussion boards are not for you.

Now...that's a fact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly am.

I notice you make no mention of how you have childishly ridiculed other posters, obviously you brush that aside because it does you no favours.

It's a very, very common tactic for some people who have a problem when their views are challenged, instead of simply responding and countering the other posters argument, they feel it nescessary to ridicule and insult other posters.

You really should go back and take a look at some of your responses, and take a good hard look at yourself my friend...anyone can air their views on here within certain parameters, but equally anyone else can challenge those views of they want to, also within certain parameters.That is what I and other posters have done, you did not like it and seemed ill-equipped to deal with people disagreeing with you and responded with childish comments.

If that's how you deal with those disagreeing with your views, then perhaps discussion boards are not for you.

Now...that's a fact.

Yes Ted, i'll do just that.
    I'll go have a long hard think about myself. I'm so grateful for your insight. FFS!!!

Jeez! Some people really do have an inflated opinion of themselves.

EDIT: I ain't your friend either. I'd choose someone less pompous
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Ted, i'll do just that.
    I'll go have a long hard think about myself. I'm so grateful for your insight. FFS!!!

Jeez! Some people really do have an inflated opinion of themselves.

EDIT: I ain't your friend either. I'd choose someone less pompous

We can glean two insights from these comments...

Firstly that you still appear to be completely oblivious to and refuse to acknowlege the ridicule you have indulged in to other posters. You seem completely blind to your own arrogance and offensive comments.

Second, that you continue to post 'angry', constantly insulting and attacking those who disagree with you.

Even though I am being very honest and straight with you, my comments are not offensive, I am not ridiculing you, I am not attacking you, I am not being sarcastic (Well, maybe occasionally), I am simply giving you some home truths.

Like I said, having your views challenged and people disagreeing with you is part and parcel of a discussion board.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a very angry film thread! :eek:

Personally, and this is only MY opinion, I hated the original. I don't care if it won an oscar or is considered a classic, I didn't like it. I'm not a fan of Audrey Hepburn so I'd like to see another actress in the lead role to see if it changes my opinion.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Personally, and this is only MY opinion, I hated the original. I don't care if it won an oscar or is considered a classic, I didn't like it. I'm not a fan of Audrey Hepburn so I'd like to see another actress in the lead role to see if it changes my opinion.

I don't think Hepburn is a terrible actress, but for me she wasn't right for the part and I'd love to see someone who can actually sing doing it justice. I love the musical, so I'd love to see a decent film version of it!
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The argument for a remake falls down when people say the original film is "dated" and that a new audience doesn't want to see such a dated film.

The source material is dated so what do you do?
    Ignore the time in which it was written and set?

I agree with people saying the earlier Pygmalion film was better (Wendy Hillier) and that could be remade as a period piece and audiences will understand that they are watching a historical/period piece.

But how do you translate a musical for a modern audience if that same audience can't watch a version that was made when the times depicted were in living memory?
    There is a mass of social commentry, the whole film is social commentry. But of the times it was written.

How will a modern audience who people say don't want to watch a "dated" film, relate to a modern version that still includes the whole idea of only being able to work in a shop if your accent is correct?
    And that once the accent and manners are learnt "what am I fit for".
    And then they sing a song about it.
    In 21C Britain?

It's the fact that it is a musical is where it will fall down. The audience that can accept it being a period piece wouldn't/won't have a problem with the original anyway.
    So what audience will the film be aiming for?
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Julie Andrews diddled out of the role?

They transfered over most of the actors from the stage production over to the film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The argument for a remake falls down when people say the original film is "dated" and that a new audience doesn't want to see such a dated film.

The source material is dated so what do you do?
    Ignore the time in which it was written and set?

I agree with people saying the earlier Pygmalion film was better (Wendy Hillier) and that could be remade as a period piece and audiences will understand that they are watching a historical/period piece.

But how do you translate a musical for a modern audience if that same audience can't watch a version that was made when the times depicted were in living memory?
    There is a mass of social commentry, the whole film is social commentry. But of the times it was written.

How will a modern audience who people say don't want to watch a "dated" film, relate to a modern version that still includes the whole idea of only being able to work in a shop if your accent is correct?
    And that once the accent and manners are learnt "what am I fit for".
    And then they sing a song about it.
    In 21C Britain?

It's the fact that it is a musical is where it will fall down. The audience that can accept it being a period piece wouldn't/won't have a problem with the original anyway.
    So what audience will the film be aiming for?

Basically there are two ways to do a remake of such a movie.

Either you keep the original setting and keep it as a period piece, which can sometimes work (the recent Les Mis being a good example), but the danger is that the makers can sometimes aim for a carbon copy of the original, which will inevitably look inferior.

But setting it in a modern day setting, which would be my preference, means the story needs to be adapted and changed, obviously. As you say, the social commentary aspect is important, but of a writer can find a way to make the story relevant in the modern age, it can work.

If there are some aspects of the story that simply won't translate to present day, then again that's where the adaptation and writing comes into play.

I always believe that a good, compelling, classic story can stand both the test of time and can also be impervious to an update, if done correctly.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem with remakes/reboots is when they eventually make their way to TV and the inevitable disappointment when you realised it's the remake they are showing...

My Fair Lady has a nice concept but it's the execution of that concept that worked for it. The songs, the performances.

Any remake would have to ensure they got charming leads.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because there will be whole generations who have never seen the original and will not be familiar with it. So it makes sense from the studios point of view, and will potentially make a lot of money.

And please don't bother saying they should watch the original instead...the truth is most of todays generation (who the remake will be primarily aimed at) will not be likely to rush out in droves to watch a 50 year old musical.

Fact is, it's going to be made, it's going to be different, most likely it will not be as good as the original, but the fundamental point is a remake can potentially find a whole new audience and be profitable.

And if you are not in favour of it, then simply don't watch it. The original is still there, still unchanged and untouched by any new version that may come along.

Nicely put. However, the way I see it, a game/novel/stage adaptation or remake is one person's interpretation. A remake is never meant to be a direct or updated copy of an earlier film. I find comparing two or more interpretations of the same premise interesting, anyway.

Especially if we look from a social perspective. The use of a language in dialogue, pop culture references, humour, fashion, weaponry, transport, social issues and film techniques. Some stories are timeless enough to fit in any time period, so it's interesting to see which translates well and which doesn't. I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Crossfire (1947). The novel revolves around homophobia and the film replaced this social issue with another social issue, due to the censorship board of its time, so I would love to see how it may work today if the original social issue was left intact. Same for other films that were editorially restricted by the censorship board. Would it be an improvement when given more freedom? Or will we discover that it's the restriction that accidentally made the film better than it would have been without?

It's funny - and occasionally irritating - when some complain about a forthcoming remake while not realising the version they loved is also a remake. One example: I have seen some condemning Solaris (George Clooney) for being a remake of Andrei Tarkovsky's 1972 film without realising that Tarkovsky's film is also a remake. The Great Gatsby is another example. The majority still believes the Robert Redford & Mia Farrow version was the original. It isn't. It's the third remake (and a terrible one). In total, there are five film adaptations of The Great Gatsby with another on the way.

There are loads of classic, old or popular films that are remakes as well. An Affair to Remember (Cary Grant) is a remake. So are Move Over, Darling (Doris Day, James Garner), The Children's Hour (Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine), The Money Pit (Tom Hanks), Scarface (Al Pacino), Scent of a Woman (Al Pacino), Insomnia (Al Pacino), The Long Night (Henry Fonda), Holiday (Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn), No Way Out (Kevin Costner), Orphans of the Storm (Lillian and Dorothy Gish), Last Man Standing (Bruce Willis), Ransom (Mel Gibson), Fatal Attraction (Glenn Close, Michael Douglas), The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars (Clint Eastwood), House of Wax (Vincent Price), The Lost Patrol (Victor McLaglen, Boris Karloff), etc.

Technically, My Fair Lady is a remake of Pygmalion (Leslie Howard and Wendy Hiller). So it stands to reason that My Fair Lady would be remade some day. And why not?

Incidentally, remakes were hell a lot more common between 1910s and 1930s. Often within months of each other. There is one that was released in 1923, remade in 1924, again in 1927 and again in 1932. We should be grateful that we'll never see those days again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You make a very good point about certain stories being timeless, some can be strong enough that it still translates well across different time periods and generations. A good idea is always a good idea.

I will say that I prefer remakes to contain the essence of the story but that it should bring something new to it as well. Same as music, never see the point in a note-for-note copy of a song...take a few chances, mix it up...above all put your own stamp on it.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will say that I prefer remakes to contain the essence of the story but that it should bring something new to it as well. Same as music, never see the point in a note-for-note copy of a song...take a few chances, mix it up...above all put your own stamp on it.

That's my opinion as well. It's pretty much why I'm looking forward to seeing Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy. I think his interpretation will be a pleasant surprise.