Swollen arm after blood test

x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had blood taken this morning at the hospital and the nurse couldn't get any out of my left arm so tried on my right. I normally have blood taken from my left arm with no problems... She managed to get some from my right arm which is absolutely fine.

My left arm however, is really sore and a bit swollen, it aches when I try lift it up. I've had many blood tests and never had this before :confused: the swelling/aching came up pretty much straight away and I asked the nurse and she said it's normal, but it's not for me! I'm now worrying she's done something wrong...surely this shouldn't happen literally as soon as she pulls out the needle?

Anyone had this before? I need my arm back I've got loadsa uni work to do :o

Comments

• 4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like she's bruised/broken the vein in her mission to get the blood out - phlebotomists are ruthless!

Not much you can do sadly, maybe try an ice pack to numb it and bring down the swelling?

If your a bit paranoid (complete sympathies, I have a tendancy to imagine the worst) you could try circling the swollen area with a pen, if it gets bigger between now and say 9pm give NHS direct a call.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,131
    Forum Member
    I had a swollen arm after a blood test last year - normally I have no problem. It was really painful, I could barely bend my arm to drive home. After a day or two an enormous bruise erupted, it looked horrendous:(. It was so big it was still there two weeks later when I went for another blood test! The phlebotomist said it was because not enough pressure was applied afterwards so the blood just kept oozing inside my arm. It wasn't pleasant but it sorted itself out. Something similar may have happened to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes when you take blood if the needle goes through the vein it causes the area to blow up or swell. Simply putting pressure on it immediately can make it go down again. You will find that it will settle down over the course of today but you might be left with a bit of a bruise and discomfort for a day or two.
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies guys :)

The swelling has gone down a bit now but there's a small lump where the needle went in. I'll see how it goes over the next few days, probably worrying over nothing as usual :o probably won't help that I work in a bar lugging crates and huge bottles and stuff around lol :)
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put an ice pack on it, and please look after yourself. She sounds a rubbish nurse !
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had blood taken this morning at the hospital and the nurse couldn't get any out of my left arm so tried on my right. I normally have blood taken from my left arm with no problems... She managed to get some from my right arm which is absolutely fine.

My left arm however, is really sore and a bit swollen, it aches when I try lift it up. I've had many blood tests and never had this before :confused: the swelling/aching came up pretty much straight away and I asked the nurse and she said it's normal, but it's not for me! I'm now worrying she's done something wrong...surely this shouldn't happen literally as soon as she pulls out the needle?

Anyone had this before? I need my arm back I've got loadsa uni work to do :o

It does happen , the vessels blow and the area gets swollen ,.The best thing for any bruising like that is arnica cream .I had the most horrendous bruising from attempts to get a line in on a shut down body ,( long story )My friend brought arnica cream and I swear by it now for all swelling and bruising .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Put an ice pack on it, and please look after yourself. She sounds a rubbish nurse !

A little unfair , you dont know the circunstances, these things happen .
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little unfair , you dont know the circunstances, these things happen .

Especially with people who, shall we say, are quite well covered, and it's hard to find the vein. Skinny blokes are the best, you couldn't miss with a blindfold on!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Especially with people who, shall we say, are quite well covered, and it's hard to find the vein. Skinny blokes are the best, you couldn't miss with a blindfold on!
    Try getting a line in on a prem baby !!! LOL
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,131
    Forum Member
    I'm not particularly well covered, and the nurse didn't have any trouble finding a vein - the issue in my case was the lack of pressure applied afterwards. It was done at the GP surgery and the nurse didn't stress the importance of applying pressure - in the phlebotomy clinic they have a notice up about it, and they also tape dental rolls over the site aftewards rather than just a plaster.

The phlebotomist also told me it is important not to do heavy work (like lugging crates!) in the few hours after a blood test as that can also causing oozing & bruising.
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    By well covered I presume you mean fat. :rolleyes: My vein is visible on the arm and no nurses/phlebotomists have ever had any trouble taking blood from it before, just this one.
    Lippincote wrote: »
    The phlebotomist also told me it is important not to do heavy work (like lugging crates!) in the few hours after a blood test as that can also causing oozing & bruising.
    See I weren't told this. I'm a student I can't afford not to work.

It's okay now anyway, worrying over nothing :D
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gad it's alright now.