Antiques Roadshow

angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry, but I know longer have the rewind live TV on my telly (RIP Ferguson DVR) but what was the value of the Polynesian club. Was it £30/£35 or £35,000????

I was busy on another DS thread.......

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but I know longer have the rewind live TV on my telly (RIP Ferguson DVR) but what was the value of the Polynesian club. Was it £30/£35 or £35,000????

I was busy on another DS thread.......

Yes it was..... 30-35 grand. :D
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's why Fiona Bruce was effusing about it!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have given it house room, it would be straight down the auction house if it were in my possession. Funny lot us humans with our likes and dislikes.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have given it house room, it would be straight down the auction house if it were in my possession. Funny lot us humans with our likes and dislikes.

Depends, it will probably gain value better than most bank accounts so I would be inclined to put it somewhere safe if I did not need the money urgently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi, does anyone know the name of the expert that gave the valuation? I can't find it anywhere...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveAlt wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know the name of the expert that gave the valuation? I can't find it anywhere...

His name is Ronnie Archer-Morgan. Just watching the clip now and it's still worth 30-35 thousand! :)
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's with all the Sunglasses tonight ?

It's like a Roy Orbison Impersonator's Convention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's with all the Sunglasses tonight ?

It's like a Roy Orbison Impersonator's Convention.

Must have been the only sunny day on record this year.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much of the "Fiona Bruce fashion show" makes this impossible for me to watch live, so I record it and fast forward through her several unnecessary contributions.

That's ten minutes of my life I get back each week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fiona was wearing a particularly loud dress thing tonight.... maybe that's why the people needed the sunglasses? ;)
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show went off the rails some years back and is now plunging down the embankment.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    This show went off the rails some years back and is now plunging down the embankment.

Nah, the format is timeless , interesting people with interesting antiques, the here-today-gone-tomorrow presenter isn't that important.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, the format is timeless , interesting people with interesting antiques, the here-today-gone-tomorrow presenter isn't that important.

The one big change is that the episodes have moved permanently outdoors, whereas it always used to be filmed indoors (in town halls and the likes).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The one big change is that the episodes have moved permanently outdoors, whereas it always used to be filmed indoors (in town halls and the likes).

They still do many indoors, depends on the venue.

It is perhaps easier to find a suitable outdoor area than an indoor site big enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »

There have been minor changes as there have always been but it is still as interesting as ever. Of course it can't possibly compete intellectually with Ex Factor, I'm a Celebrity..., Big Brother but I know which I would rather watch.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    They still do many indoors, depends on the venue.

It is perhaps easier to find a suitable outdoor area than an indoor site big enough.

I've seen the occasional indoor one in the last couple of years, but it seems the majority these days are outdoors (even though they use marquee like structures to protect the objects from the rain).
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can’t say I care who presents Antiques Roadshow either just so long as they keep on showing it. It’s always been the people and the objects they bring in who are the stars of the show.

We’ve recently started playing along using the red button valuation game and can recommend it. Plenty of cheers when we score correctly but there's always lots of groaning too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Can’t say I care who presents Antiques Roadshow either just so long as they keep on showing it. It’s always been the people and the objects they bring in who are the stars of the show.

We’ve recently started playing along using the red button valuation game and can recommend it. Plenty of cheers when we score correctly but there's always lots of groaning too.

It's common knowledge in the trade, that many of the valuations aren't anywhere near realistic.

It'll depend on the auction house, where it is, on what day, what other items are up and how many people attend who might be really interested. In the end it may be no different to selling stuff on eBay.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's common knowledge in the trade, that many of the valuations aren't anywhere near realistic.

It'll depend on the auction house, where it is, on what day, what other items are up and how many people attend who might be really interested. In the end it may be no different to selling stuff on eBay.

Not all items valued on Antiques Roadshow are high value but I can't believe anyone wouldn't want to discover a piece of Fabergé or a lost masterpiece lying around either.

Antiques Roadshow values the item they don't put items into auction. That's for the owner to decide and to put a reserve on the item if they do decide to take that route.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all items valued on Antiques Roadshow are high value but I can't believe anyone wouldn't want to discover a piece of Fabergé or a lost masterpiece lying around either.

Antiques Roadshow values the item they don't put items into auction. That's for the owner to decide and to put a reserve on the item if they do decide to take that route.

Hang on!

Who said anyone wouldn't want to know they had something of high value of which they were unaware?

Who said they put them into auction?

Certainly not me, so please get your facts right.

They give values as to what they think you'd have to pay for a similar item in a good antiques store and/or an estimate as to what they might fetch at auction and for what it should be insured.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whenever they have gone back to something that has been valued on the programme previously and subsequently sold then the valuations have been quite good. I think they try to value on the low side and say that it could go for more if there was someone who particularly wanted it.
  • Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's why Fiona Bruce was effusing about it!!

That bloody woman has me effusing every time its on screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Whenever they have gone back to something that has been valued on the programme previously and subsequently sold then the valuations have been quite good. I think they try to value on the low side and say that it could go for more if there was someone who particularly wanted it.

Yes, exactly, it's "selective television" it's "that sort of business."

Out of the thousands of items they value, there will be plenty where they've got it right.

I'd suggest there's probably an equal number or more, of where they've got it wrong.