Screen Protectors

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
Forum Member
What is the best way to apply screen protectors to your mobile phone....I always end up with lads of air bubbles that just won't shift!

Comments

• scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I use zagg invisible shield for my desire s.
  • xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    take the first plastic sheet off and put the screen protector on the phone. then take the top sheet of slowly by opening it a bit and then use a credit card to push it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8CrRUcAmM
    Forum Member
    The screen protectors shown in that video are crap.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    all screen protectors are crap.

they're much softer than the screen, they will scratch, for the entire time you have the phone it will appear to have scratches on it.
    Forum Member
    Never had any problems with zagg's. The ones shown in that video are often given away when you buy a case of eBay.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the Invisible Shield protectors is the texture, it's really unpleasant - there's a slightly, almost tacky quality to it (tacky as in sticky, not cheap/nasty, though the one invokes the other...).

For my past couple of handsets, I tend to have opted for Clarivue.
    They're reasonably scratch-resistant, feel exactly the same as the screen without a protector on and not hugely expensive.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

they're much softer than the screen, they will scratch, for the entire time you have the phone it will appear to have scratches on it.

I'd rather have a scratched screen protector than a scratched phone any day .
    Forum Member
    len112 wrote: »
    I'd rather have a scratched screen protector than a scratched phone any day .

I think you miss my point.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Every time I look at my scratched screen protector or my scuffed phone case it makes me happy.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't have a problem with mine.

I spent £8 on mine and it's got a lifetime warranty.

It lasted 4 months before it got a scratch in it (very small one) but they replaced it with no problem.

The cheap ones are crap and scratch easily and cannot put them on without bubbles etc.

Also a decent screen protector stops smudging on your screen.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always invested in a good screen protector in recent years. You get what you pay for.
    Forum Member
    I don't however have a screen protector on my nexus 7 as its so called got a better scratch resistant screen.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Every time I look at my scratched screen protector or my scuffed phone case it makes me happy.

Why????
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Because all those scratches and scuffs are not on my phone
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sgp (Spiegen) crystal clear ones are brilliant. If applied correctly, actually very hard to tell you have one on the screen. Never believe this Gorilla Glass nonsense - your screen can get scratched very easily in your pocket.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screen protector in my experience just destroy the experience of that high resolution screen!
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont like screen protectors. I have tried several and they all spoil the experience of using a nice touch screen. Your finger doesnt glide as smoothly over the screen with a protector.

Most phones have Gorilla Glass which makes them scratch resistant (not scratch proof) and I have never had a problem.

The only things that should scratch decent glass is more glass... ie sand
    Forum Member
    On YouTube you'll see videos of people going at their screens with knifes and screw drivers.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is better to scratch the protector than the screen though, at least you can replace the protector with a new one.
    A scratch on your screen will remain there forever.
    gomezz wrote: »
    Because all those scratches and scuffs are not on my phone
    Exactly.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont like screen protectors. I have tried several and they all spoil the experience of using a nice touch screen. Your finger doesnt glide as smoothly over the screen with a protector.

Most phones have Gorilla Glass which makes them scratch resistant (not scratch proof) and I have never had a problem.

The only things that should scratch decent glass is more glass... ie sand

+1

Hated every single screen protector I've tried, be it on a phone or a tablet. They never (ever) feel right.

For some reason i did keep the protector on the Advent Vega, and glad I did - dropped it a few months back, and it was cracked. its now held together by the screen protector.

There must be differing levels of gorilla glass though - the screen on my N8 looks new, the phone is over 2 years old. Same with my Nokia 808. The same cannot be said of my iPhone 4S, which is slightly losing its "oooh, shiny" look.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't see the point in screen protectors or cases. The manufactures go out of their way to provide a great user experience and then you cover it in cheap plastic.

I usually laugh when I read posts by iPhone owners when they mention build quality. Everyone I know with an iPhone has it in a cheap plastic case so any build quality is totally hidden and can't improve user experience.

Its the same with the screen. I want that low friction glide feeling you only get from glass.

My phone is 2years old and has never had a case or screen protector. I don't give it any special care, its in my pocket with coins and keys. There are lots of scratches of the case but none on the screen.

As I'm not interested in resale value, I don't care about the appearance of the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't used a screen protector in years and have never scratched a screen.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screen protector in my experience just destroy the experience of that high resolution screen!

I agree which is why I don't use one.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure you're putting the correct side against the screen ? In my experience they hardly make any difference .
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up using them on my Moto Defy which has Gorilla glass and sure enough within a few weeks of careful use I could see little marks on the screen where it had probably rubbed agains a key in a poket. I was always very careful but clearly Gorilla glass scratches quite easily under the right (or wrong?) conditions.

I then used a flip case and that means no screen protector required and just the slight annoyance of the flip case when answering or using the phone.