Onkyo Problem?

I seem to be having a problem with my Onkyo receiver - HT-R538.
I have a panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blu Ray Player.
This 'passes through' my Onkyo to my Sanyo projector PLV-Z800.
The problem is that, at varying intervals, I lose sound for a second or two. Then it is ok for a while.
Any advice would be most welcome.
I've tried turning the Onkyo off, then on again.
Sometimes it helps, but not always.
It seems that the longer I am watching a film the better it gets??
It did the same thing with the Blu ray I had before also, which makes me think it must be the Onkyo?

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Are you are just using HDMI, will your BD player allow you try optical/coaxial.

Are you using HDMI and optical/coaxial, try connecting by HDMI only.

Trying a different configuration for the audio may point you to where the problem is, tend to agree it's more likely to be the amp from what you have explained.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like HDCP handshake issues to me.

Have you tried substituting a TV for the projector to see if it does the same. Also, are you using a particularly long HDMI cable or two connected together with a joiner?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Are you are just using HDMI, will your BD player allow you try optical/coaxial.

Are you using HDMI and optical/coaxial, try connecting by HDMI only.

Trying a different configuration for the audio may point you to where the problem is, tend to agree it's more likely to be the amp from what you have explained.

Just using 2 x 1.4 HDMI cables, I metre long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Sounds like HDCP handshake issues to me.

Have you tried substituting a TV for the projector to see if it does the same. Also, are you using a particularly long HDMI cable or two connected together with a joiner?

The cables are 1 metre long, no joiners.
    They are HDME 1.4.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as an experiment swap the two cables round. As both are the same length this shouldn't be too much hassle. So the one going to the projector becomes the one going to the player and vice versa.

Might help indicate if the problem is a cable fault or not. Better still swap the cables one at a time for a new cable. ie swap the player to amp cable then test for a while. if that doesn't have any effect put the new cable on the projector and test again. If swapping the cables round has no effect then you need to eliminate the other bits of kit. Just that swapping cables is easier for the first step.

If you have some other device with HDMI put that in place of the player and test. If that has no effect then try using something in place of the projector, ie a TV. If swapping the player and the projector and the cables has no effect on the problem then suspicion falls on the amp. Which may be the hardest part to swap out.