DS Book Club?

Comments

• OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dilemna!!

Four people have given me nominations. 3 people have nominated the same book! If we stick to our usual rules you are not supposed to vote for your own nomination. Am wondering if we should just read the popular choice ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    Dilemna!!

Four people have given me nominations. 3 people have nominated the same book! If we stick to our usual rules you are not supposed to vote for your own nomination. Am wondering if we should just read the popular choice ??

Lets just read the popular choice, that would be my vote! Save a lot of hassle!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Lets just read the popular choice, that would be my vote! Save a lot of hassle!

I agree! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK

Well our Humour choice is

'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared '

by Jonas Jonasson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I've read that one! Makes my life easy :D
    Forum Member
    Sounds good to me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I make a suggestion for a future read? Well, several of them? What if we went a few months where one of us DS bookclub members just chose the book? Either perhaps our favourite book, or one which you have read that you don't think got the attention it deserved? It would mean that everyone gets at least one read that they really want others to enjoy, that they can either take the month off or do a re-read?

We could all take it in turns, it would take care of the "admin" side for a bit too! And the person who picks, starts the discussion thread?

What do we think?
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    May I make a suggestion for a future read? Well, several of them? What if we went a few months where one of us DS bookclub members just chose the book? Either perhaps our favourite book, or one which you have read that you don't think got the attention it deserved? It would mean that everyone gets at least one read that they really want others to enjoy, that they can either take the month off or do a re-read?

We could all take it in turns, it would take care of the "admin" side for a bit too! And the person who picks, starts the discussion thread?

What do we think?

I think that's an excellent idea Lizzy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fine with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great. Now all we have to do is decide who goes first :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Can I please join?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys - we've lost our way a bit here.

Does everyone want to continue ?
    Should we fix a date for The Hundred Year Old Man ?
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    Hi Guys - we've lost our way a bit here.

Does everyone want to continue ?
    Should we fix a date for The Hundred Year Old Man ?

I'm around for awhile (work kept me away) :mad:
    This is one I would like to read so a yes please from me :)
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even know what happened to me, but I'm back (I hope!). I used to keep DS open on my laptop and do other things on my PC, but my laptop died, and I can't seem to get used to using my PC for browsing DS. I've also generally slowed down on my reading this year, and I'm trying to turn that around. I have to get caught up on the last two books and just downloaded The Hundred-Year-Old Man.

The idea of us taking turns of choosing the book is okay by me (months after the rest of you decided to do it). :D
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I please join?

Hi,
    I'm sure the more the merrier :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall I just open a thread or does anyone want to have a live "chat" about this one ?
  • PinkLadyJoPinkLadyJo Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im so sorry about not being on, exams etc have literally taken over, i willl pop into other forumns from time to time, is it ok if i come back when i have more time to read the stuff please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinkLadyJo wrote: »
    Im so sorry about not being on, exams etc have literally taken over, i willl pop into other forumns from time to time, is it ok if i come back when i have more time to read the stuff please?

Hi Pink lady

To be honest I think the book club has died a death - it has been getting harder and harder to keep it going. IMHO we need at least 6 - 8 people committed to reading the book every month or so and I just don't think we have that any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

I haven't ventured in here before, but exams have finished and I have a lot of free time now and I love reading. Was wondering if anyone fancied reading anything autumn/winter themed? What with the cold and dark nights I thought that something cosy and feel good might be nice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Babycakes

I am happy to read a book again with the club if you can get enough interest!
  • Armchair-dancerArmchair-dancer Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I haven't been here for ages but am ready and willing to carry on now. Please don't ask me to choose a book though. I'd dither about for weeks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to suggest some Christmassy/Winter books, however they're very easy reading. What with all the wrapping and work I have to do I like my books to be uncomplicated :D but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be more than happy for them to take the lead
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things seem to have stagnated somewhat, any idea what's going on with this?
  • louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, only just saw that DS had a book club!

Just read through the thread, and its a shame that it seemed to have stopped:(

I'd really like to join if it starts up again as I'm an avid reader, and I do a 2 hour commute to and from work everyday so like the idea of a book that I may not have had the opportunity to read before to do so now :)

I'll be quite happy to help out with the admin of it running too if it helps :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    This thread seems to have come to a full stop. Such a shame - great idea.