Has hell frozen over ??

Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
Forum Member
Anyone watching the gadget show ? They have just ripped the iPhone 5 to shreds and given it just 3 'Gs' !! :eek:

Never thought id live to see the day where the Gadget Show didn't give an Apple product anything less than a glowing review :eek:

obviously the show is appalling these days and their 'tests' are mostly laughable but they rated it down on:

- lack of innovation
- cost
- performance
- call quality
- camera image/video quality
- build quality :eek:

they had it up against the HTC One X and the new Lumia - both of which they gave 4 'Gs'...

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they have woken up and smelt the coffee :D
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    This is more a thread aimed at shock over the gadget show stance than about the phone itself ..... but they really laid into it !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show went down hill when they killed off most of the presenters and started acting like top gear kids.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Apple's cheque bounced. </troll> :D

Add to that, they were rather underwhelmed by the iPad Mini too; only 4 G's, no better than a Kindle Fire. But they're rather enthusiastic about the Surface. But then again, so was Leo Laporte until he used it.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Maybe Apple's cheque bounced. </troll> :D
    Or they didn't get one each for free.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iphone scored lower than I would expect from its perceived reputation ..... apple without Jobs just ain't anything special perhaps?
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but did they not rip into the original iphone years ago when they put it against the Nokia N95? They tested which was easier to use whilst upside down on a bungie rope.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I agreed with most of e points apart from build quality...

That was bs. The iPhone no matter what you think is one of the best if not the best built phone out there.

They are right in the fact the iPhone really isn't changing apart from getting a bit faster.

It seems to be apples thing.. Just change it a little and make it faster and sell it as the next best revolutionary thing.
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    I agreed with most of e points apart from build quality...

That was bs. The iPhone no matter what you think is one of the best if not the best built phone out there.

They are right in the fact the iPhone really isn't changing apart from getting a bit faster.

It seems to be apples thing.. Just change it a little and make it faster and sell it as the next best revolutionary thing.

To be honest I think that Apple have let the quality slip recently. It was one of the main items they could always quote but antenna-gate, scratches on the iPhone5, maps, and a whole raft of other issues - all point to a company that is either resting on its laurels or has lost the plot.

Previous iphones may have had a 'premium' feel but this latest thing feels no better (and probably no worse) than a top end HTC, Sony or Samsung IMHO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few thoughts…

Lack of innovation - Yep, probably.

Cost - Yep, definitely.

Performance - Really? They make a big thing about the HTC graphics performance, but were disappointed by the iPhone's? Odd. Now we know benchmarks don't tell the whole story, but every benchmark I've seen have the iPhone as being rather nippy, and certainly leading the pack in graphics by a significant margin. So rather odd that the Gadget Show would find this not to be so in reality. What were they doing to arrive at this conclusion?

Call quality - As I understand, Apple did add some extra microphone for noise cancelling which was supposed to solve the call quality issues of earlier iPhones. Guess it didn't work then?

Camera image quality - The 4S was held up by many a review as having one of the best cameras of the time. And one would presume the 5 is a bit better. Now I would not be surprised if the Nokia is slightly better still, but have the competition really skyrocketed ahead so much in the past year as they suggest? Really? Or is the iPhone just not over-saturating its images?

Build quality - Really!?! Sure, the HTC and Nokia are rather nice to hold - i.e. not like a Samsung - but better built than an iP5? Are they associating lightness with being badly built?

Battery life - There have been stories about iP5 battery issues, but from what I gather, this was software issues with stuff sucking up battery in the background. I wonder if they considered this?

Yet the biggest bloopers about the iP5 they didn't mention; the comically crap Apple Maps and the irritating new connector. Odd.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the irritating new connector. Odd.

If there is one thing i like about the iPhone5 its that connector! Its reversible, and i love that fact. I however dont have loads of peripherals that are now defunct, otherwise i would be ranting about it no end!
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure the Gadget Show have got it wrong saying the iPhone only has 3G and the HTC One X has 4G. I thought it was the HTC One XL that had 4G.

I have just checked the iPhone 5 specs and it DOES have 4G:

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-4910.php

I thought this was the 6th iPhone anyway so is that wrong as well.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camera image quality - The 4S was held up by many a review as having one of the best cameras of the time. And one would presume the 5 is a bit better. Now I would not be surprised if the Nokia is slightly better still, but have the competition really skyrocketed ahead so much in the past year as they suggest? Really? Or is the iPhone just not over-saturating its images?

Build quality - Really!?! Sure, the HTC and Nokia are rather nice to hold - i.e. not like a Samsung - but better built than an iP5? Are they associating lightness with being badly built?

Battery life - There have been stories about iP5 battery issues, but from what I gather, this was software issues with stuff sucking up battery in the background. I wonder if they considered this?

Yet the biggest bloopers about the iP5 they didn't mention; the comically crap Apple Maps and the irritating new connector. Odd.

The 4S camera was leagues ahead of the prior Apple devices, and the 5 is a slight incremental improvement. The Lumia 920 is better, although the Lumia still isn't a patch on the now ancient N8, let alone the more recent 808.

Build quality - probably based on the continual claims of scratches and the like.

Battery life will always be an issue on iOS, and its mind-numbingly stupid services. Enable location services and they suck the battery dry (unlike other phones that only check on GPS when required).

The adapter is what will stop me from considering the next iPhone when I'm up for renewal. Both adapters in the car, my various docks around the place - all designed for the old adapter, and no frakkin way will an adapter mount be practical in any of them.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I am sure the Gadget Show have got it wrong saying the iPhone only has 3G and the HTC One X has 4G. I thought it was the HTC One XL that had 4G.

Not 4G in this country yet I think.
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »

3g/4g as in the gadget show rating system ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call me a fanboy but I loved the way they ripped the iPhone. It's not the phone itself but more that they usually worship anything made by Apple on that show.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Not 4G in this country yet I think.

yes there is :rolleyes:
    EE
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    yes there is :rolleyes:
    EE

Yes EE use 4g LTE on 1800MHz.

However the iPhone 5 wont work on 4G bands which are about to be auctioned off 800MHz and 2.6GHz. The iPhone 5's implementation 4G LTE on 800MHz is not compatible with the UK spectrum plan.

3 will no doubt use 1800MHz for 4G LTE next year.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    3g/4g as in the gadget show rating system ;)

Fished in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching this show years ago. They are a bunch of idiots. Its a poor show. Its a pity there isnt a decent gadget show on tv.

I remember one test they had, was to type a text message, whilst being driven around a course in an off-road vehicle. As you would expect, it was a very bumpy ride making text entry quite difficult. A worthwhile test, no doubt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I stopped watching this show years ago. They are a bunch of idiots. Its a poor show. Its a pity there isnt a decent gadget show on tv.

I remember one test they had, was to type a text message, whilst being driven around a course in an off-road vehicle. As you would expect, it was a very bumpy ride making text entry quite difficult. A worthwhile test, no doubt.

My favourite "test" was one where they proved a PC is better than a Mac because a PC is easier to fix on those occasions where you drop it off the balcony of a building. Which to be fair, computers make me want to do that all the time. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me a fanboy but I loved the way they ripped the iPhone. It's not the phone itself but more that they usually worship anything made by Apple on that show.

Actually, if you go back through the history of the show, no, they don't. It's just that haters tend to only remember the positive reviews, and interpret anything of even the slightest bit positive as 'gushing', even if the overall review is only lukewarm. In other words, to those who complain about bias, I think it says more about their biases than that of whom they're complaining about.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

3 will no doubt use 1800MHz for 4G LTE next year.

3 Will be using it in September next year, they are also going to bid in the auction too, just like EE, so they both have a chance of having a secondary block of frequency.

Then in 3-5 years there's the 700Mhz block going to be available for 5G tech too.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    3 Will be using it in September next year, they are also going to bid in the auction too, just like EE, so they both have a chance of having a secondary block of frequency.

Then in 3-5 years there's the 700Mhz block going to be available for 5G tech too.

5G!!! We haven't even got actual 4G (LTE Advanced) in this country yet. What is considered 5g thine?
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Polly is on Samsung payroll. She's been photographed holding Samsung's all over the place, Same as Allan Sugar, Xfactor, Hollyoaks etc etc. Clearly Apple has pulled out of product placement under Tim Cook or Samsung & Nokia are just paying more.

Just wait until the Gadget Show gets it's mits on the Galaxy S4 you'll see them gushing over it.

As for the iPhone 5. I agree with nearly everything they said but she was speaking tosh about call quality and battery time. The 920 is no better than the iPhone for battery and the call quality is bloody good on the iPhone. Lack of design innovation yes, bad build quality certainly not. I agree windows is better than iOS in some areas but i still feel Android and iOS are the better package... they never even touched on this (other than apps)

Three & EE will be bidding for 800 and 2600 in the auction....