How far is 20 metres?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
Forum Member
I want to apply for a driving license, so I need to be able to read a number plate that is 20m away (65 feet for you oldies). I'm almost positive I can do that, so I don't want to shell out £20 for an unecessary eye test. Is there a quick and easy way to test myself? Bearing in mind that I don't have a 20m-stick-ruler or measuring tape, is there any ordinary 20m long object or marking that is available on the roads?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20m is about 20 large adult steps
  • JargonizerJargonizer Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You answered your own question, pace out 65 ft silly.
    Eye tests are free at many opticians.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    walk 65 times with your feet one in front of the other , add a few for inaccuaracy and you should be somewhere near , mind you if your feet are 6" long then you would need to go twice as far, good grief what am i doing answering this :rolleyes: ;):D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    Jargonizer wrote:
    i went to about 10 opticians today and they all had eye tests costing from around £16 to £23. Even on the NHS they're not free (unless you're under 19 or over 60, which I'm not)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:
    20m is about 20 large adult steps

spot on :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    walk 65 times with your feet one in front of the other , add a few for inaccuaracy and you should be somewhere near , mind you if your feet are 6" long then you would need to go twice as far, good grief what am i doing answering this :rolleyes: ;):D:D:D
    Don't drink before you start ,as you can bet your life you will forget how many steps you have taken and then you will have to start again and again and again ad infinitum
  • JargonizerJargonizer Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elpaw wrote:
    i went to about 10 opticians today and they all had eye tests costing from around £16 to £23. Even on the NHS they're not free (unless you're under 19 or over 60, which I'm not)
    If you tell them there is a history of glaucoma in your family it's free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A link to a web page that converts metric to imperial or vice versa, as you might understand feet better

http://convert.french-property.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20m = 2000 cm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about going to your local swimming pool (usually 25 metres), standing at one end and reading the clock (usually large Speedo) from the other. That's more than enough distance. On my second driving test I was unable to read the number plate when asked by the examiner because I'd lost one of my contact lenses. In the end he had to go back up to the office and bring out a very long tape-measure :o 20 metres really is no distance at all.
  • MisanthropeMisanthrope Posts: 5,531
    Forum Member
    A Blue Whale(on average) is 25M long, perhaps the OP could fasten a car number plate to a Blue Whale's tail and then wander back to the whales head,if they can read the number plate from there ... jobs a good un. This is probably best acomplished on land , perhaps a beached whale?
  • CorriandaCorrianda Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jargonizer wrote:

lmao..! ;)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Jargonizer wrote:
    If you tell them there is a history of glaucoma in your family it's free.

And they don't want proof?

What sort of operation are these people running?

'Free eye tests for everybody are us'?

:)
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pick up a copy of the Tesco in-store mag at the checkout - D&A are doing free eye tests in January and discounts on glasses!
    Forum Member
    If the OP works in a job that requires habitual VDU usage. The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 require employers to provide, upon request, an appropriate eye and eyesight test.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the OP works in a job that requires habitual VDU usage. The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 require employers to provide, upon request, an appropriate eye and eyesight test.

I tried that with my boss, he gave me a load of old b*llsh*t
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elpaw wrote:
    I want to apply for a driving license, so I need to be able to read a number plate that is 20m away (65 feet for you oldies). I'm almost positive I can do that, so I don't want to shell out £20 for an unecessary eye test. Is there a quick and easy way to test myself? Bearing in mind that I don't have a 20m-stick-ruler or measuring tape, is there any ordinary 20m long object or marking that is available on the roads?

That's about the size of the queue in post office on tuesday's. :)
    Forum Member
    Hancock wrote:
    I tried that with my boss, he gave me a load of old b*llsh*t

How often do you use a VDU ?

The HSE take the use of and positioning of computers quite seriously, after a recent inspection I had to make adjustments to the workstation positioning of over 20 users.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it with all transactions on the counter and phone calls. (motor spares, looking up parts)
    I did think putting up a Health & Safety poster about VDU issues, I might get in touch with them and asked them send a info pack to my boss ;)
    Forum Member
    Hancock wrote:
    I use it with all transactions on the counter and phone calls. (motor spares, looking up parts)
    I did think putting up a Health & Safety poster about VDU issues, I might get in touch with them and asked them send a info pack to my boss ;)

Our inspection came about because one of the patients at one of the surgery's I manage the IT for, decided the reception desks looked iffy so they reported it to the HSE. They came out and did a full site inspection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    20m = 20 miles. Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our inspection came about because one of the patients at one of the surgery's I manage the IT for, decided the reception desks looked iffy so they reported it to the HSE. They came out and did a full site inspection.

If Health and Safety came to all our 4 branches, they would all be closed down.
    Forum Member
    Heh, In a previous job I had reason to hand deliver a compliance statement to the HSE offices on Quay Street in Manchester...There were boxes all over the office floors, It was a death trap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about 19.5 metres.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    its from around were im sitting to just over there