How to get new foreign channels on sky

rodbourniterodbournite Posts: 63
Forum Member
Does any one know how to ask Sky for new channels. I'd like more European ones like RAI, DW or TVE noticias 24. Also Sky Italian have the Korean English language service yet we have two similar Chinese news channels.

Comments

• ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does any one know how to ask Sky for new channels. I'd like more European ones like RAI, DW or TVE noticias 24. Also Sky Italian have the Korean English language service yet we have two similar Chinese news channels.

Get yourself a satellite dish looking at Hotbird and Astra 1, and a FTA satellite receiver and you will get most of those.
  • HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    i am not sure rai comes on anymore for free i might be wrong though.
  • rodbourniterodbournite Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    the reason i was asking is because i rely on a communal aerial and sadly have no choice but sky.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harshad wrote: »
    i am not sure rai comes on anymore for free i might be wrong though.

It's FTA most of the time on hotbird but does encrypt sometimes
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is up to those channels to apply to join the Sky EPG - Sky are highly unlikely to approach them.
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Sky had DW & TV5 a while back and true to form they charged extra for these free to air (on other satellites) channels. I guess no one paid so they dropped them.

DW and TV5 were just part of a normal subscription - not extra. DW left on its own accord and TV5 is still broadcasting on Sky...
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Sky had DW & TV5 a while back and true to form they charged extra for these free to air (on other satellites) channels. I guess no one paid so they dropped them.

As stated above both were part of normal subscription packs and TV5 is still on Sky's EPG. It is the broadcaster who chooses how they broadcast - FTA, FTV or subscription with the incentives of subscription income and possibly reductions in combined encryption/EPG listing fees. But hey as usual you do not let facts get in the way of your anti-Sky rants.
  • Paul000Paul000 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to add some of these foreign channels by changeing the frequency and symbol rate ? Because some have moved to the same satellites as SKY (maybe France as their main channels remain free to air ?)
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Paul000 wrote: »
    Is it possible to add some of these foreign channels by changeing the frequency and symbol rate ? Because some have moved to the same satellites as SKY (maybe France as their main channels remain free to air ?)

French channels are not free-to-air, and they remain on Astra 19.2E, or AB3. None is on the same satellites as Sky.
  • foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭