Options

Was Series 6 filmed before Junior Apprentice Series 1?

george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
Forum Member
I noticed a discrepancy in Series 6 recently that suggests that it was actually filmed before the first series of Junior Apprentice (which was broadcast first).

In the episode where they had to design a holiday product and the girls got no orders, Lord Sugar told Laura that this would go down in history as this had never happened before. But it actually had, in Junior Apprentice with Adam's Flex'n'Store cardboard camping games table and shoe-storage facility.

At the time I thought Sugar was merely discounting Junior Apprentice, but thinking about it, I am wondering if Series 6 was actually filmed first? I know Series 6 was filmed a long time before it was broadcast. 2010 was a weird year for The Apprentice because of the election - it was the only year that Junior Apprentice was broadcast before the adult series, and the episodes of Junior Apprentice had adverts to apply for Series 7 at the end of them - before Series 6 had even been on TV. Could Series 6 have been filmed before?

Comments

• Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Every adult series is filmed in the autumn, so series 6 was basically broadcast a year after it was shot (series 7 was shooting at the time that series 6 went on air).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Every adult series is filmed in the autumn, so series 6 was basically broadcast a year after it was shot (series 7 was shooting at the time that series 6 went on air).

Do you know when the first series of Junior Apprentice was filmed? That evidence suggests I may be right in thinking that it was after Series 6.
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vaguely recall that Karren Brady was introduced as the "new Margaret" a series after we'd already seen her, for the reason you suggest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lammtarra wrote: »
    I vaguely recall that Karren Brady was introduced as the "new Margaret" a series after we'd already seen her, for the reason you suggest.

Ooh yes, that hadn't occurred to me! It's looking more and more likely then, isn't it? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was - S6 was delayed from the spring until the autumn, JA was broadcast in the summer as planned, broadcast order switched from the filming order. Felt like a big deal at the time! Think it was to avoid the general election, since Lord Sugar is a Lord, could've been seen to denote bias. "Oh, come on!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    Yes, it was - S6 was delayed from the spring until the autumn, JA was broadcast in the summer as planned, broadcast order switched from the filming order. Felt like a big deal at the time! Think it was to avoid the general election, since Lord Sugar is a Lord, could've been seen to denote bias. "Oh, come on!"

That explains it then... I think they could have done a better job with the editing. Leaving in the bit where they say getting no orders had never happened before, when from the viewer's point of view it had, looks rather sloppy to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose by the time they filmed Junior Apprentice, Sugar must have known that it would be broadcast before Series 6... he congratulated Kirsty and Tim on breaking a sales record, but from his point of view Liz had already done better than that. He must have known the broadcast order.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose by the time they filmed Junior Apprentice, Sugar must have known that it would be broadcast before Series 6... he congratulated Kirsty and Tim on breaking a sales record, but from his point of view Liz had already done better than that. He must have known the broadcast order.

Yes - this has always bothered me! I checked at the time, when the record was broken in S6. Completely baffled, always. That he knew when the series would be broadcast, on reflection, is a very simple and very neat explanation.