Samsung UE32ES5500 Smart TV

I've just purchased a 32" Samsung Smart TV (model UE32ES5500) and have a couple of questions I wondered if anybody on here can answer -

1) The power button on the remote only puts the TV into standby mode, is there anyway to power it down completely without switching it off at the mains, and does it cause any issues/loss of settings if I do power it off at the mains?

2) When streaming music from my NAS box (Netgear Stora), the tracks in a folder are listed and played in alphabetical order, not the order in the folder (or on the original cd). Is there an easy way to change the order without going into the NAS box and renaming them 1 - Track Name, 2 - Track Name, 3 - Track name, etc.

3) And finally, when playing streamed music, is there anyway to easily dim the display, as I only want to listen to the music, not be distracted by the screen.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alan

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    1) The power button on the remote only puts the TV into standby mode, is there anyway to power it down completely without switching it off at the mains, and does it cause any issues/loss of settings if I do power it off at the mains?

Almost all TV's now don't have mechanical ON/OFF switches, just a very low standby setting - even the ON/OFF switch just puts it to standby, sometimes with a slightly lower consumption, as you can't bring it back on with the remote (although with some now you can even do that).

But consumption in that state is VERY. VERY low, so it's probably not worth turning off at the mains?.

Switching off at the mains socket though won't lose you any settings.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Re your Question 3). Menu/System/Eco Solution/Energy Saving/ choose between Low/Medium/High/Picture Off. You might be able to do it via the Tools button as well, in which case: Tools/Energy Saving/ choose between Low/Medium/High/Picture Off. To restore the picture in Picture Off only for either method, just press the Tools button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Re your Question 3). Menu/System/Eco Solution/Energy Saving/ choose between Low/Medium/High/Picture Off. You might be able to do it via the Tools button as well, in which case: Tools/Energy Saving/ choose between Low/Medium/High/Picture Off. To restore the picture in Picture Off only for either method, just press the Tools button.

Thanks. I'll give that a go when I get home tonight.
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »

Hi,

Unfortunately that didn't work.

On the first option, the Eco Solution option is only available on the TV channels. When you are in AllShare playing music, the option is 'Not Available' when you try and select it. Very strange, as you would think that was where you needed the option

The second option, using the Tools button on the remote, does not have an Energy Saving option when you select it (at least on my TV it doesn't).

Any other help/suggestions gratefully received.
    Forum Member
    I don't have the same model as you, Alan, but I checked the function via your model's user manual on Samsung's website: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE32ES5500KXXU-downloads. If you have a look at the manual, it explains about the Eco Solution on Page 255.

I'm wondering if the TV has some problem recognising your NAS box or managing the device on the network, but it's only a guess. Or it might be that you have have not figured everything out yet and disabled the function in error by setting something else up incorrectly. I suggest you go through the AllShare section in detail. Presumably you can also access the E manual via the TV remote.

On my model I can use the Energy Saving with all the devices on the network, and that's why I think it's something you have done.

You could try asking in AVForums as well.
    Forum Member
    I had an idea after my above post and was wondering...why not dim the display to High via Eco Solution before going into AllShare.
    Forum Member
    Thanks evil c for your advice. I think I need to sit down with the manual and go through it a bit more thoroughly.

Interestingly, regarding my second point about displayed file order, I selected a folder where the tracks were labelled 01 - Track Name, 02 - Track Name etc, and the numbers were ignored with the Track Names being displayed in alphabetical order. I'm now wondering if it's something on be NAS box I need to investigate.