GTA 3 on PS3 Next Week!!

toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
Forum Member
✭✭
Just seen this

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a395695/grand-theft-auto-3-releasing-on-psn-next-week.html

I'm happy it's being released again, i'm not fussed that it's not in HD and no trophies, i'm just happy to play it again

I've got it on my iphone, but can't get used to the controls

Can't wait to hear flashback fm again!

Comments

• Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I didnt buy a PS3 to play PS2 games on it. Would rather they put the effort needed to get these PS1/2 games running on a PS3 into a new PS3 game. Run out of ideas already?
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toyotacity wrote: »
    Just seen this

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a395695/grand-theft-auto-3-releasing-on-psn-next-week.html

I'm happy it's being released again, i'm not fussed that it's not in HD and no trophies, i'm just happy to play it again

I've got it on my iphone, but can't get used to the controls

Can't wait to hear flashback fm again!

Just search youtube, there is every radio station on there
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically its just GTA3, the same game from 10 years ago nothing new, nothing adapted and on a console which originally allowed people to play it using the disc they had. Seems a cheap way of making a few more pennies. I mean they could a done something like updated some of the graphics, for a company like Rockstar it wouldn't get taken that long.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    So basically its just GTA3, the same game from 10 years ago nothing new, nothing adapted and on a console which originally allowed people to play it using the disc they had. Seems a cheap way of making a few more pennies. I mean they could a done something like updated some of the graphics, for a company like Rockstar it wouldn't get taken that long.

Especially at the price that has been said,its selling for 10 dollars,when you look at the price compared to what the 10th Anniversary edition is selling on Google Play(under 5 dollars),its a tad overpriced
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    San Andreas and I'm sold!
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew since the PS3 40GB was released that the PS3 could play PS2 games.

It annoys me because the system can clearly play PS2 games, and can clearly play DVD-ROM discs, so why not just enable the frigging thing to play everyone's discs.

This was just a ploy to make money. GTA3 will be £7.99 no doubt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'll get it if its not more than 7.99 ... hopefully gets a plus discount too

i'd rather it was vice city or san andreas though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I think it's £6.30
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    It annoys me because the system can clearly play PS2 games, and can clearly play DVD-ROM discs, so why not just enable the frigging thing to play everyone's discs.

Digital Foundry looked into this the other week, whilst the emulator works, it has to be tuned and resubmitted for every game, the same settings used on Virtual Fighter 4 for example will not be the same as the emulation settings used for GTA3, or any other games.

If they just activated the emulator and said go mad to people, they would be raging and submitting complaints to Sony about games not working properly, the console crashing, etc.

The best way to easily describe it, grab a PS2 emulator off the Internet, configure it so it works well with one game, ...and then try and different game and see how well it holds up. You'll notice, even on unofficial PC emulators, you're always having to change the settings depending on the game you want to play as there's different ways to handle EE emulation and GS threading.

Now transfer that over to official hardware and submission process, each game has to be tested, reconfigured in the emulator, and then resubmitted to Sony until they give it the green light.

Why do you see a lot of crappy games on the PSN? Easy, games that don't actually take full advantage of PS2 Hardware are much easier to emulate and test, you could get a batch of 10 crappy games done in the same time it takes to really configure a game from a high profile company who got the best out of the console.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, I didnt buy a PS3 to play PS2 games on it. Would rather they put the effort needed to get these PS1/2 games running on a PS3 into a new PS3 game. Run out of ideas already?

GTA 5 is in development, it's not as if they ignoring the OS3 hardware. It would have been a different team that did this.

Having said that, if they could do an HD version for iOS then why not the PS3?
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Having said that, if they could do an HD version for iOS then why not the PS3?

The 10th Anniversary Edition is not exactly HD, it's just the PC version with a new menu, the extra detail comes from the character models and vehicles, which use the upgraded ones from the 2004 Xbox version.

Visually, the 2004 Xbox version of the game is still the best looking version as that includes high res textures for the city as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    The 10th Anniversary Edition is not exactly HD, it's just the PC version with a new menu, the extra detail comes from the character models and vehicles, which use the upgraded ones from the 2004 Xbox version.

Visually, the 2004 Xbox version of the game is still the best looking version as that includes high res textures for the city as well.

It runs at 2048 x 1536 so it's definetly HD, it looks far better than the PS2 version playing on my PS3.
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    It runs at 2048 x 1536 so it's definetly HD, it looks far better than the PS2 version playing on my PS3.

I think you mis-understood me, of course it will run in a HD resolution, it's the PC version, but visually the Xbox version is still the best, as that came out AFTER the PC version and features completely redone textures and a few higher quality models for the city area. As well as Higher Poly Characters and Vehicles with full time reflections and mapping.

The iOS/Android 10th Anniversary version is based on the PC version of the game but has the Vehicles from the Xbox version and SOME characters (Only main) from the Xbox version, the city, reflections, mapping details, etc, are all the same from the PC version, even the audio, which I complained against, is just the audio from the PC version rush converted to MP3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you mis-understood me, of course it will run in a HD resolution, it's the PC version, but visually the Xbox version is still the best, as that came out AFTER the PC version and features completely redone textures and a few higher quality models for the city area. As well as Higher Poly Characters and Vehicles with full time reflections and mapping.

The iOS/Android 10th Anniversary version is based on the PC version of the game but has the Vehicles from the Xbox version and SOME characters (Only main) from the Xbox version, the city, reflections, mapping details, etc, are all the same from the PC version, even the audio, which I complained against, is just the audio from the PC version rush converted to MP3.

Interesting so it was somewhat rushed... At least there was some effort rather than just PS2 emulation though which will run at a shocking low resolution and look all jaggy as PS2 tend to.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    San Andreas would be preferable.

GTA3 looks great on a mobile device like the Galaxy or Iphone but it's doing nothing for me

I hated the storyline and 8 Ball...
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I hated the storyline and 8 Ball...

:eek:

Why ?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What effort is that?
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I'll get this, I definitely preferred Vice City and San Andreas but I've been playing 3 again on my phone and it's really good just I think I remember the control system being quite crap especially when it came to shooting. It may be worth the £6-8 tho.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    :eek:

Why ?

Too much cliched mob/cartel stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTA3 will look terrible.

I tried it on the PS2 connected to my HDTV via a component cable, and it was blurry and just washed out. I doubt it'll look better as a digital download.

Saying that, I'll buy it tomorrow and never play it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Too much cliched mob/cartel stuff.

Erm... so the cliches and gangstar/hood stuff weren't to much for you in San Andreas
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    It's funny that so many people choose to spend their money on this stuff.

Talk about cash cow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    It's funny that so many people choose to spend their money on this stuff.

Talk about cash cow.

What do you mean exactly?

How else am I supposed to play GTA3 if I feel like it?

I'd have to buy a PS2 and then buy the game. With the download, I have it on my PS3.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Digital Foundry looked into this the other week, whilst the emulator works, it has to be tuned and resubmitted for every game, the same settings used on Virtual Fighter 4 for example will not be the same as the emulation settings used for GTA3, or any other games.

If they just activated the emulator and said go mad to people, they would be raging and submitting complaints to Sony about games not working properly, the console crashing, etc.

The best way to easily describe it, grab a PS2 emulator off the Internet, configure it so it works well with one game, ...and then try and different game and see how well it holds up. You'll notice, even on unofficial PC emulators, you're always having to change the settings depending on the game you want to play as there's different ways to handle EE emulation and GS threading.

Now transfer that over to official hardware and submission process, each game has to be tested, reconfigured in the emulator, and then resubmitted to Sony until they give it the green light.

Why do you see a lot of crappy games on the PSN? Easy, games that don't actually take full advantage of PS2 Hardware are much easier to emulate and test, you could get a batch of 10 crappy games done in the same time it takes to really configure a game from a high profile company who got the best out of the console.

Do what Microsoft did, and give each game the opportunity to download an emulation profile off the internet when inserted. or store a database of emulation profiles in the PS3's firmware.
    Forum Member
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Do what Microsoft did, and give each game the opportunity to download an emulation profile off the internet when inserted. or store a database of emulation profiles in the PS3's firmware.

That would require companies to still work on emulation though and have to be submitted, there's a reason why the emulation profiles on the Xbox 360 haven't been updated in years! Why waste time and money creating an emulation profile for free when you can simple re-submit the whole game and make a profit off it.

As sad as it is, that's how it is, would you choose to invest £40,000+ to create something for free, when you can include the game in that process and put it on sale for £7.99?