In other Xbox news

Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
Forum Member
✭✭
Microsoft hint at some form of Windows 8 cross platform gaming support:

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3362615
AusGamers: With Games For Windows Live shuttering and Windows 8 being a kind of ubiquitous OS for Microsoft products, is there any chance we’ll start seeing cross-platform play between Xbox One and PC now that the architecture is so similar and with, as you mentioned, the expanded Cloud capabilities server-side?

Phil: I’m not allowed to leak things [smiles]. But I think what you’re talking about makes a lot of sense.
This connected ecosystem across all the different devices is definitely where I think the future of gaming is going; you don’t have to do it as a developer, but you have the capability and I think a system like Xbox Live across all those screens where you know who someone is and who their friends are, what their Achievements are and their progression is really critical to that.

And Major Nelson is going to suggest to the higher ups that they should bring back Futurama as an Xbox exclusive.

http://www.neowin.net/news/major-nelson-will-suggest-reviving-futurama-as-xbox-exclusive

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly Windows 8 games are, largely, awful.

The only decent one was Halo Spartan Assault and what did Microsoft do with that? Stuff it full of micro transactions and withhold controller support for weeks on end in a vain attempt to drive demand for its failing tablet.

If they do this and get it right, then it could open up a massive library of cheap games for Xbox One, but could having all this additional choice dilute the Xbox brand?

(BTW,If anybody has come across any decent Win8 games please let me know, because I've got a Win8 PC and I can't find bugger all worth paying for)
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don’t have to do it as a developer, but you have the capability

Hasn't that always been the case or were developers actively blocked from developing cross platform play this generation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Hasn't that always been the case or were developers actively blocked from developing cross platform play this generation.
    Yes it has been. Cross-platform games do exist.

It isn't the easiest to pull off - maybe that's where it will change.

Reading the quote though, not too sure if they mean cross-platform-at-the-same-time-gaming, more play Boggle on your Xbox One then carry on on your PC later with your same logon and same achievements and rank etc.