New DVD Recorder - RDR-HXD890. Any good?

My DVD recorder (Sony RDR-GX300) has finally given up after 9 years because the laser has had it. I'm now thinking of getting a new one. I'm thinking of getting a RDR-HXD890. The reviews look good and I only want to use it to transfer VHS tapes to DVD. Is any good for this?

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, fine for VHS to DVD transfer, even provides some limited editing facilities for video saved onto the hard drive first. A liitle bit of patience is required at first to work out how to use the machine but if you are use to previous RDR models then I'm sure you will probably find a lot of things familiar. Sony have discontinued this range now so they are getting rarer to find for sale. Beware some offered may be refurbished ones.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    My DVD recorder (Sony RDR-GX300) has finally given up after 9 years because the laser has had it. I'm now thinking of getting a new one. I'm thinking of getting a RDR-HXD890. The reviews look good and I only want to use it to transfer VHS tapes to DVD. Is any good for this?

The RDR-HXD890 is an old, long obsolete, machine - it was replaced by the poorer DC series, which in turn were discontinued a couple of years ago now.

If you're looking for a DVD recorder to copy tapes, I would suggest you look at Panasonic, which seem to carry on making obsolete formats for years after everyone else :D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    How can it be obsolete if there is still a market for it? Does not compute.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It beats Sony DESIGNING obsolete formats such as custom memory sticks, elcassettes, SACD, etc etc. just to be awkward when other standards already exist. :)
  • witham1witham1 Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    The RDR-HXD890.may is old but it is a great machine.
    I still use mine every day and it makes a great job of upscaling from SD and DVD.
    The SCART input can be adjusted to vary the brightness, contrast, colour and other effects such as noise reduction. I have used these and it is possible to clean up a video input that was a bit mediocre.
    I can recommend getting one of these (I think they are still available from eBay).
    Forum Member
    witham1 wrote: »
    The RDR-HXD890.may is old but it is a great machine.

Not denying that - they were great machines - FAR, FAR better than the Samsung junk which replaced them :cry:

As no one has mentioned it yet, they were actually made by Pioneer - and ended of course when Pioneer pulled out of the TV/DVD business.

EDIT:

Just checked the service manual, it's dated June 2008.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...As no one has mentioned it yet, they were actually made by Pioneer - and ended of course when Pioneer pulled out of the TV/DVD business.....
    I had forgotten that. My parents are using my Sony RDR now. Still going strong, never had a failed recording and still updates channels automatically as it should. Only had to intervene once at DSO to do a complete retune. I guess at some point in the future, the overnight epg download will stop being transmitted.
  • SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite the same but I bought an HXD870 six weeks ago via Gumtree (£40) and it's been superb. I have a Pioneer 530 and the menus are very similar, some of the functions are named differently though.

May be old in AV terms but still a good un IMHA.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My RDR-HXD890 is still going strong to.
    It gets used for recording things of both Sky and freeview and gets used most other days.
    Its the best DVD I have had next being the PS3.
    Though 160GB is a bit small these days.
    But it can still store crap loads in SD.
    Forum Member
    Spruce wrote: »
    Not quite the same but I bought an HXD870 six weeks ago via Gumtree (£40) and it's been superb. I have a Pioneer 530 and the menus are very similar, some of the functions are named differently though.

Presumably the same machine?, but the Sony isn't identical, the software is somewhat different - for one example it uses the Sony SIRC's remote control system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I finally got round to buying RDR-HXD890 this week and it's simply great. Many thanks for everyone's help! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I have the Sony HXD890 which I used with an old CRT TV. Now though i have bought a Samsung 46"F7000 smart TV and wonder whether I can continue to use the Sony. I want to be able to burn DVDs to finalise and use on other systems. I have tried connecting it up, but these smart TVs are so complicated, I have failed miserably so far. Is it possible or do I have to look for an alternative means of recording?

Can anyone help or advise?

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    All you need to connect is

Aerial -> (RF In) DVDR (RF Out) -> (RF In) TV

DVDR (HDMI) -> (HDMI) TV
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    All you need to connect is

Aerial -> (RF In) DVDR (RF Out) -> (RF In) TV

Not familiar with the 890 are you? :p

You must use the DIGITAL RF IN/OUT sockets, the 890 has separate analogue and digital ones.

But it's simple to connect, and the fact it's a 'SMART' TV makes no difference at all.
    Forum Member
    I did check the back panel from the user guide and concede that it is poor and hard to decipher and the specs do not mention the RF sockets at all. In any case there is, of course, no such thing as an "digital aerial" so the sockets are misleadingly labeled. :p
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice - I'll give these instructions a go tonight and see how I get on.
    Forum Member
    All OK - I think I was getting a bit confused by the 'source' facility. Thanks for reassuring me that it was possible!