Assassins Creed 3

HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been playing this for the past week and I am really enjoying it, I heard a lot of criticism about this game before playing it but I am struggling to see what people had a problem with as it is basically still the same thing underneath with a few new elements and other older elements expanded on.

Apart from the fact Connor is a dick (And this franchise shouldnt be a yearly franchise) I am still really enjoying it.

I like the additional of the hunting and the frontier land and the moderner cities add a different feel to the city areas while still keeping everything familiar.

The trading is quite good once you get your head around it as the tutorial in game doesn't really explain this too well and the crafting is a nice idea that could work better.

The sailing missions are fun and a nice addition, they work quite well although feel slightly like an experiment (Which I guess they were having seen the videos to AC4).

But the thing I really like about AC3 is the progression of time and the development and expansion of your homestead. I like how at the start of the game you main character hasn't even been born yet and as mission get competed the years roll on and on. The way the homestead grows from a old house in the wilderness to a thriving little community and how the game involves you in the daily lives of the people in your homestead was awesome.

I think this is possibly my third favourite AC game after AC2 and Brotherhood. Its just a shame there are so many glitches.

Did anyone else enjoy this AC game?

Comments

• Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Played it from release until I got to the meeting with the reveal of who Kenway is and
    his true allegiance to the Templars. Felt dirty afterward.
    (just in case)

Put it in last night and got an 11mb update. Couldn't be bothered getting into it so didn't play. Did this update fix any bugs or is it still a bit crap.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really didn't like this game in the end. I started off enjoying it, but then slowly started to dislike it more and more. Starting with Connor, who I can't stand. I spent the whole game missing Ezio, I was surprised by this, because I was ready to leave him after 3 games. I think that showed me how much I disliked Connor.

The plot isn't great, as in the way the main story missions are connected. It looked like they were trying too hard to fit Connor into these big historical moments, with not much going on inbetween. It looked more forced and obvious than it has done before. Plus the big assassinations were very scripted, in the other games, there was a little bit more choice in how you could tackle an assassination. Actually, thinking about it, there aren't many assassinations at all in this. Another big problem I have with the game.

There are good points that you mentioned though, the hunting and the sea missions were all fun. I also enjoyed building up the homestead. So it's not a bad game by any means, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I have other games. And then Connor dragged it down to the point that I just didn't care anymore. Any time Haythem was involved I was very happy, he was a much more interesting character, I wish his and Connor's relationship was developed better, but what we did get was good, I just wanted more.

Thinking back on it, I think my Connor vendetta basically ruined the game for me, with a little bit of series fatigue thrown in. Wonky gameplay was never an issue because I was enjoying the story of the other games so much, take that away and in AC3, the problems become more glaring and annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this game, it's the third best, after AC2 and brotherhood for me

There are problems, some of the optional objectives can be ridiculously hard, it can be a little annoying to complete the encyclopedia of the common, as some of the homestead people never do the stuff you need to see, the games (apart for checkers) and really hard to win for the trophy

Also the DLC that came with the season pass is some of the greatest DLC i've ever seen, it feels like an entirely new game
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I'm currently playing this again at the moment (having 2nd play through as I abandoned it when I was at 28% through, to play something else!)

I decided to start from the beginning, so that I can catch up with the story however I still cannot work out all this Homestead stuff and crafting...?!!

I keep seeing Homestead missions pop up, which I complete but then nothing really comes about from them. How are you supposed to improve the Homestead...?!?!:confused:

I'm also finding that the game is very 'start-stop'..!!! By this I mean, a Sequence starts and you complete a mission and then its back to that screen inside the animus where your character just endlessly walks around with triangular bits flying all over the place.

You watch a cutscene - then jumps back to the walking scene. Complete a mission - jumps back to the walking scene, Move between areas (from any city to the frontier) - yep you guessed it - jumps back to the walking scene..!?!?!?

I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE GAME - ENOUGH OF THE WALKING SCENE ALREADY....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I decided to start from the beginning, so that I can catch up with the story however I still cannot work out all this Homestead stuff and crafting...?!!

I keep seeing Homestead missions pop up, which I complete but then nothing really comes about from them. How are you supposed to improve the Homestead...?!?!:confused:

The homestead missions will reward you with either a new character to join your homestead or an upgrade to a characters abilities. The more people you gather to join your homestead to more you can craft and the more houses / workshops that appear throughout your homestead.

The crafting is difficult as the game doesn't really give you much of a tutorial or introduction to crafting. Crafting can all be done from the accounts book in your main house or in shops around the various locations (3 in each of NY, Boston and Frontier) you will need to visit these shops to add the as a trading location.

In the accounts book you have 3 sections, left is the inventory which shows what you have and what is available to you. What Connor is carrying is at the bottom, the green items are items you have crafted and lists at the top is the goods available from you homestead people. Buy up everything so you have 10/10 as this makes crafting a lot easier to understand, some items that are required to craft other items have to be crafted themselves like barrels which you will require to craft Ales for example.

The second section in the account book in the crafting, to craft you need the raw materials, an appropriate skilled homestead person and a recipe (These are acquired from homestead mission and chests around the maps). Doing more homestead missions increases the level of you homestead people and allows them to craft more complex items.

The third section in the account book in the trading which is where you make your money in AC3. I finally got to grips with all this over the weekend so if you are still having problem or need the trading explained I should be able to explain all that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Starting with Connor, who I can't stand. I spent the whole game missing Ezio, I was surprised by this, because I was ready to leave him after 3 games. I think that showed me how much I disliked Connor.

LOL, I actually felt the same way, I was happy to hear Ezio had been replaced and we were finally going to get a new character and then when I played as Connor I instantly missed Ezio.

I wish I had been able to stick with Haythem.
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I loved this game, it's the third best, after AC2 and brotherhood for me

There are problems, some of the optional objectives can be ridiculously hard, it can be a little annoying to complete the encyclopedia of the common, as some of the homestead people never do the stuff you need to see, the games (apart for checkers) and really hard to win for the trophy

The Tailor is been a real pain for the encyclopaedia, only person I need and the only game I have played so far is checkers so I am not looking forward to trying to win the others now.
    Forum Member
    Crafting can all be done from the accounts book in your main house or in shops around the various locations (3 in each of NY, Boston and Frontier) you will need to visit these shops to add the as a trading location.

...doh - I never realised that?!:o I thought it was from pressing either the RB or LB buttons on the controller, which seemed to bring up some kind of crafting menu?! From there it gave me options to craft or assign stuff but didn't really understand it!

Maybe I need to look at the accounts book, as you mentioned earlier, to see the various options within it!

Thanks for the tips....!!;)
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i played it all the way through when it came out the most annoying things were when i tried to complete the encyclopedia the doctor wouldn't play bowls took ages for him to do so also the miner kept wandering off and not doing what i wanted him to at the mine. Also i hate the game morris. Apart from that i really like all the nautical missions so am looking forward to black flag.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this isn't about ACIII but didn't want to start a separate thread for a single question

I'm replaying Revelations and it keeps crashing when i try to play Desmond's journey part 5 (it just loaded as i'm writing this), it also froze i few times when i tried to start part 4 but that eventually worked, i think i recall it freezing during normal play as Ezio

Could it be a problem with my PS3, it has been freezing a little more than usual lately and on other games, i do the system checks when ever it recommends them and it has found nothing
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't hate the game, but it was riddled with problems that just bogged it down. A few that I can think of off the top of my head;
    1. Connor was a terrible character who just needed his stupid pig-head knocked against the wall. He did all sorts of stupid things right up until the end of the game - the sorts of things Ezio quickly learned to reign in in order to actually succeed. Connor's shortcomings were only accentuated by Haytham not only being a more interesting character, but actually seeming to make more sense when the two engaged in philosophical debate.
    2. Lack of stealth and overly-scripted main missions. I got really fed up of my target spotting me and running off. Not because I'd ballsed it up - no, I'd been perfectly silent and was within easy reach of a quiet assassination, only to be interrupted by a cutscene in which Connor decides to blunder in like an oaf and get spotted. In fact, there were multiple "chase," missions that just frustrated the hell out of me. Whenever you have a mission where you know if you stumble slightly, you might as well reload as there's no way to win it, you should know you've developed a mission that isn't going to be fun to play. AC£ has several of these.
    3. The cities lack the grandeur of those in the previous games. They're just boring to look at. They are also not good for free-running and you end up just sprinting round the streets most of the time. Way to kill one of the best parts of the AC series.
    4. No upgradability to Connor. I bought one sword and it was the best one in the game. There was none of that sense of progression you had with Ezio, as you built up your weapons and armour. It was like a step back to AC1.
    5. Too much emphasis on the Revolutionary war. It seems that Connor single-handedly won that war. If he weren't there, America would still be a colony of the British Empire. Sorry, that was just overkill. Have him be there, sure. I liked the ideas in the early trailers of him having to slip through massive battles to take out a Templar who was an enemy commander. I think we got one mission like that and it was so heavily scripted, you couldn't help but bang in to desync walls all the time. On the other hand, there is nothing entertaining about riding back and forth on a horse and ordering other people to fire cannons. But we got plenty of that.
    6. The end. The final "battle" made little sense. The whole resolution of Desmond's story was lame. All just a bunch of WTF?

There were things l did like, though. I loved the naval part, for instance. That's why I'm still hopeful for AC4 - I get the feeling they know where they went wrong and know what they got right. AC4 will be what AC3 should have been, I reckon.
    Forum Member
    Last night, I reached a really frustrating part - the part where you have just spoken to a general (can't remember his name) and you have to cross a battle field to reach a target, whilst there is a war going on. Bullets and bombs going off everywhere....!!!!

You start behind cover and you have to make your way to the next waypoint but avoiding the gun fire of the battle going on in front of you.

You can hear commands like, 'they're firing' or 'take cover' or 'incoming' however, it seems every time I move out of cover, I am hit by enemy gun fire?!!? You can only take 3 or 4 hits, before your energy depletes and to have to restart - its driving me mad..........!?!?!?:confused::eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night, I reached a really frustrating part - the part where you have just spoken to a general (can't remember his name) and you have to cross a battle field to reach a target, whilst there is a war going on. Bullets and bombs going off everywhere....!!!!

You start behind cover and you have to make your way to the next waypoint but avoiding the gun fire of the battle going on in front of you.

You can hear commands like, 'they're firing' or 'take cover' or 'incoming' however, it seems every time I move out of cover, I am hit by enemy gun fire?!!? You can only take 3 or 4 hits, before your energy depletes and to have to restart - its driving me mad..........!?!?!?:confused::eek:

Ignore the commands. After the enemy fires you will see gun shots hitting the cover in front of you, use this as you cue to move to the next piece of cover.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Ignore the commands. After the enemy fires you will see gun shots hitting the cover in front of you, use this as you cue to move to the next piece of cover.

...perfect - will try this tonight! ;)
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once i got in to the game i quite enjoyed it.

Completed everything now apart from going back to get 100% on all the sequences and naval missions. I think i'm on about 82% for the overall game but have been giving it a rest.

Still need to complete the DLC too. Think i'll get back into it this week and try and get things finished off before AC4 comes out in a few months.
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by Hotbird

Posted by deans6571
    ......perfect, will try this tonight ;)

Success....!!!! Think I made it all the way across the battlefield and only took 1 hit.

Frustratingly, I then spent the next 25 minutes trying to actually fight general Pitcairn and all his men - without any success!!

Then had a quick look on YouTube as to what I was doing wrong and then discovered that in fact, all I had to do was to run around the outside of the camp and find that tree which you can climb, that leads to another tree and then finally onto a flag pole whereby Pitcairn was standing right underneath it. Then just air assassinated him from there - took all of 2 minutes...!!!!!:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by Hotbird

Posted by deans6571

Success....!!!! Think I made it all the way across the battlefield and only took 1 hit.

Frustratingly, I then spent the next 25 minutes trying to actually fight general Pitcairn and all his men - without any success!!

Then had a quick look on YouTube as to what I was doing wrong and then discovered that in fact, all I had to do was to run around the outside of the camp and find that tree which you can climb, that leads to another tree and then finally onto a flag pole whereby Pitcairn was standing right underneath it. Then just air assassinated him from there - took all of 2 minutes...!!!!!:o

I think this is one of the better missions of the game as it mixes a huge battle with a stealth assassination at the end!
    Forum Member
    So, I finally finished AC3 the other night and can honestly say, I am glad its over!!!

I had too many frustrations with this game to say that i truly enjoyed it! Hell - I didn't even bother with any of the side missions, or collecting things or building up the Homestead (didn't get the whole trading thing AT ALL.???:confused::confused:) and just went through the main story line only so that I could get to the end of the game as quick as possible.

I just found that there were too many interruptions to the game and it did not flow smoothly at all. Main example is when you are standing in a town and you look at the map for your next checkpoint in the Frontier. You then select it and it will sometimes give you the option to 'fast Travel' which you select. You then transport to the white scene where you endlessly walk with shards of glass flying all over the place.
    You walk a bit and then transport to just outside the Frontier. So you then go back to the map and select the Frontier (again) and hit 'Fast Travel' button. Back to the walking scene again for a bit and then you're back to just outside the frontier. You then walk towards the Frontier checkpoint and the game transports you back (yet again) to the walking scene for a bit and then you are placed back but inside the Frontier.
    You then select the checkpoint again (within the Frontier) to fast Travel to it and you are placed YET AGAIN inside the walking scene for a bit and then back to the checkpoint to start the mission...!!! At one point - I counted 4 times whereby I was transported to the walking scene before I could actually get to the checkpoint to start the mission......:eek:

Glad its over now.................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, I finally finished AC3 the other night and can honestly say, I am glad its over!!!

I had too many frustrations with this game to say that i truly enjoyed it! Hell - I didn't even bother with any of the side missions, or collecting things or building up the Homestead (didn't get the whole trading thing AT ALL.???:confused::confused:) and just went through the main story line only so that I could get to the end of the game as quick as possible.

I just found that there were too many interruptions to the game and it did not flow smoothly at all. Main example is when you are standing in a town and you look at the map for your next checkpoint in the Frontier. You then select it and it will sometimes give you the option to 'fast Travel' which you select. You then transport to the white scene where you endlessly walk with shards of glass flying all over the place.
    You walk a bit and then transport to just outside the Frontier. So you then go back to the map and select the Frontier (again) and hit 'Fast Travel' button. Back to the walking scene again for a bit and then you're back to just outside the frontier. You then walk towards the Frontier checkpoint and the game transports you back (yet again) to the walking scene for a bit and then you are placed back but inside the Frontier.
    You then select the checkpoint again (within the Frontier) to fast Travel to it and you are placed YET AGAIN inside the walking scene for a bit and then back to the checkpoint to start the mission...!!! At one point - I counted 4 times whereby I was transported to the walking scene before I could actually get to the checkpoint to start the mission......:eek:

Glad its over now.................

It can be annoying but you don't have to go to the edge of the frontier marker then out to get to somewhere on another map.

If you're somewhere in the frontier you can go into the map then zoom right out and then zoom into the other city (i.e. New York) and choose a fast travel location there. It takes you straight to the location without going through several of the screens.

It did take me a while to realise this though as it's not explained that well!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you're in an area like Boston and choose to fast travel to Frontier only for the game to load up right at the entrance to the Frontier so you have to initiate another load section was bloody annoying. But in AC games I rarely use the fast travel so I just ran to a boat transport which cut the amount of load screens I saw.

TBH deans6571 I think you missed most of the thing I loved about the game in your pursuit of ploughing through the main story which IMHO was average. Building up the Homestead, exploring the world for collectables, hunting and trading were all good. I don't use fast travel much at all once I am in a map section so I didn't see the loading screen half as often as you did. I never really understood people who play a sandbox game and just fast travel to each location, for me part of the joy of a sandbox game is the travelling between points and exploring the lands on the way which I though AC3 did a good job of.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    When you're in an area like Boston and choose to fast travel to Frontier only for the game to load up right at the entrance to the Frontier so you have to initiate another load section was bloody annoying. But in AC games I rarely use the fast travel so I just ran to a boat transport which cut the amount of load screens I saw.

TBH deans6571 I think you missed most of the thing I loved about the game in your pursuit of ploughing through the main story which IMHO was average. Building up the Homestead, exploring the world for collectables, hunting and trading were all good. I don't use fast travel much at all once I am in a map section so I didn't see the loading screen half as often as you did. I never really understood people who play a sandbox game and just fast travel to each location, for me part of the joy of a sandbox game is the travelling between points and exploring the lands on the way which I though AC3 did a good job of.

....yea I tend to agree with you there - I did blast through the game as quick as I could just to get to the end mainly due to the frustrating missions and some of the gameplay as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love sandbox games (Red Dead Redemption is one of my fave ever sandbox games - played through at least twice and really is a pleasure to play through and explore the world) and have played all the previous AC games and loved all of them.

I just didn't really enjoy AC3 like I did with the others. I also thought that the free running in the Frontier through the trees was somewhat flawed as this could only be done through certain trees and also only in certain directions. It was a lot easier and quicker just to run along the ground.

Same for free running through all the towns as well. Because of the shape of the triangular rooftops (as opposed to the flat ones in all the other previous AC games), it was actually, again, quicker to just run along the streets on the ground.

Finally - didn't think that Connor earned the monicker of being called an assassin!!! In all of the game, I think I counted 1 actual stealth assassin - the one where you run around the outside of a camp and find a tree which you can climb, that leads to another tree and then finally onto a flag pole whereby General Pitcairn was standing right underneath it and then just air assassinated him fro the top of the pole.

The rest of the game just seemed to be mash the X button as quick as possible to fight the guards!!

My last pet peeve was the naval missions - didn't really feel the whole 'pirate' thing at all and 100% won't be buying AC Blag Flag as this is the direction they have chosen. The games just seem to be lacking the 'assassin' part more and more. I can see AC Black Flag again, being more of a hack and slash game as opposed to stealthily assassinating your enemies. Not much room for stealth if you're gonna be killing people on a ship:rolleyes:

This quote (from the Xbox forums)perfectly sums up what i thought about the game as a whole:

If I want to go and infiltrate a heavily-entrenched fort by riding my horse in full-gallop right through the front door into the middle of the base as I leap off the horse and air assassinate the nearest gaurd with the bayonet of my musket while simultaneously shooting the guy standing behind him, then that's what you should let me do! None of this "sneak into the fort without being detected" crap or "de-synchronized" because I was detected. Let's be honest with ourselves; Ubisoft stopped making AC about stealth a long time ago.

I bought the game. The least you could do is let me play it how I want

But hey, that's just my perspective on the game!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But hey, that's just my perspective on the game!

I can totally understand your position on the game. It had a lot of bad points but thankfully for me the things I enjoyed outweighed the bad.

The Navel missions were too restrictive for me and having started AC3 after seeing Black Flag at E3 just made them feel like beta levels.

The biggest problem I had with free running in the Frontier was you had to find the right trees to climb which was a lot hard to do than just climbing on the nearest building you could find. Once up in the trees you could also find yourself going way off track because of the direction the trees were steering you in. Personally I have always found just running along the ground the be the fastest way to travel in AC games.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's alright, but essentially I don't think ACIII is a on the level of some of its predecessors. I think the two main weaknesses for me were that Connor isn't a particularly likeable character and revolutionary America is nowhere near as cool a setting as Renaissance Italy

.....But maybe I'd just had enough of it. this 1 AC game a year policy is sucking the franchise dry in my opinion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I am a huge lover of the AC series but AC3 was easily the most boring due to the lack of personality and charisma of the lead character.

Altair was just the pinnacle of what an assassin should be, Ezio is a bad ass suave dude but Connor....dulllllllllll.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I got into the series with AC2 and loved the next couple of games but I got so bored of the AC:Revelations that I gave up half way through and haven't even bothered with AC3. Is it worth picking up on the cheap in CEX? Think it's about £17. Heard so many mixed views about it. If I found Revelations boring, will I find the same about AC3?
    Forum Member
    Anyone here played any of the DLC for AC3?

I've heard the Tyranny Of King Washington is supposed to be a little better than the storyline of AC3 itself?