Channel 4 has destroyed The Simpsons

Comments

• JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    you bastard was cut too
    That's because they can't say that before the watershed. Bloody on the other hand - heck, even Doctor Who used that (Smith and Jones, Martha says it). No excuse to edit that out.:mad:

Another thing about C4 - it's about bloody time they showed some new episodes! They've got a 5 year backlog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In light of this new information about the words which were cut, I'm going to write a letter of complaint to Ofcom...

:D
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i remember right in Treehouse of Horror IV , when homer sells his soul for a donut right at the beggining he says ''he's one step ahead of me bastard'' but in the Ch4 they just muted the word ''Bastard''

got the perfect image for this episode too :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite Simpsons scenes are also from a Halloween episode:

The Simpsons are visiting a creepy mansion, owned by Mr Burns, who is showing them round.

(Elevator door opens, blood begins to stream out of it)
    Mr Burns: "That's odd, the blood usually gets off at the second floor"

Also..

Mr Burns: "This house was the scene of three murders, an ancient Indian burial and five John Denver Christmas specials"
    Homer (creeped out): "Ugggghhh, John Denver"

:D:D
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    There are guide lines on what can be said at certain times of the day. It's nothing new to change something or even a reference to something.

If you want real inconsistancy then look no further than the BBFC since anything they censor about a film or pass with one certificate a local council can overturn and make their own decision on the film and even show films the BBFC have banned. And this is from the BBFC's own website.
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Why wrote: »
    My favourite Simpsons scenes are also from a Halloween episode:

The Simpsons are visiting a creepy mansion, owned by Mr Burns, who is showing them round.

(Elevator door opens, blood begins to stream out of it)
    Mr Burns: "That's odd, the blood usually gets off at the second floor"

Also..

Mr Burns: "This house was the scene of three murders, an ancient Indian burial and five John Denver Christmas specials"
    Homer (creeped out): "Ugggghhh, John Denver"

:D:D

haha i loved that episode
  • JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because they can't say that before the watershed.
    I've heard bastard (and worse) said a million times before the watershed.
  • PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garcia wrote: »
    One of my favourite scenes from the Simpsons is from the episode "Trash of the Titans", where Homer runs for Sanitation Commissioner. Anyway so Homer goes down to the municipal building and:

Homer Simpson: [Pushes in front of a queue] I wanna register to run for sanitation commissioner. And tell the fat cats upstairs things are gonna change in this town.
    Clerk: Okay, but this is where you register as a sex offender.
    Moe: [Arriving at the back of the queue] Oh, jeez, there's always a line.

Channel 4 always edit out the line about the sex offender!! Which makes Moe coming in and saying "There's always a line" completely moronic and meaningless.

Nice one channel 4 for ruining the greatest series ever!!

This cut really annoys me, as it is shown on sky one in full, and the channel 4 cut makes it meaningless.

Surprised with all the channel 4 cuts, because when channel 4 started showing it I remember them playing the scene in the one with homer's lost brother. The bit where Bart starts singing "bastard,bastard,bastard," usually cut on sky one, but they showed it on channel 4, no consistency.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite scenes from the Simpsons is from the episode "Trash of the Titans", where Homer runs for Sanitation Commissioner. Anyway so Homer goes down to the municipal building and:

Homer Simpson: [Pushes in front of a queue] I wanna register to run for sanitation commissioner. And tell the fat cats upstairs things are gonna change in this town.

Channel 4 always edit out the line about the sex offender!! Which makes Moe coming in and saying "There's always a line" completely moronic and meaningless.

The most bizarre thing about that line was the time that episode was shown during T4- they had a "coming up next" thing before the ad break, where they showed that clip and left the whole thing intact, only to cut it out the actual episode...
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Subrosa wrote: »
    I was in a shop once and 'Never Be Lonely' by The Feeling was playing and 'bloody' was censored in that :eek:

I remember when Wet Wet Wet's single "Temptation" came out and there's a line that goes "Don't waste my angry spirit". I was listening to Radio 1 (I've since grown out of that) and they played the album version by mistake which for some reason had 'angry' replaced by 'f-ing', which just seeemed like Marty Pillow trying to be clever, but anyway.

More recently I heard it on Pick of the Pops and they played the album version again. Given that it's pre-recorded, I wonder if someone put it in as a bet? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C4 and the BBC always murdered the simpsons.

Sky in the only channel that treats the program with some respect.

Not in its 6.30pm slot on a Sunday, which was when I used to watch it regularly. When some eps started including the b-word then that would get cut, for one thing. Just made torrents the better option. But then they just made the show unwatchable instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've got a recording on my TiVo from April 15th last year which is never getting deleted, when they showed the episode uncut by mistake, so the sex offender line is in there as well as the mention of 'winkers' (misprint) during the U2 bit on stage and again on the plane at the end.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I noticed in the "Duffless" episode (I think), there's a line where Barney says "That looks like Princess Di!/Oh its just a pile of rags"

I remember being surprised by this line when watching the DVD boxsets. Was it cut after Diana's death?
    The Homer Simpson v New york episode has played on C4 uncut AFAIK, despite featuring the twin towers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I've got a recording on my TiVo from April 15th last year which is never getting deleted, when they showed the episode uncut by mistake, so the sex offender line is in there as well as the mention of 'winkers' (misprint) during the U2 bit on stage and again on the plane at the end.

how did that mistake even happen tho? like when the canadian channel global showed the family guy episode 'hell comes to quahog' where they showed the episode completly uncut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I noticed in the "Duffless" episode (I think), there's a line where Barney says "That looks like Princess Di!/Oh its just a pile of rags"

I remember being surprised by this line when watching the DVD boxsets. Was it cut after Diana's death?

The line has still been in there when I've seen it.
    The Homer Simpson v New york episode has played on C4 uncut AFAIK, despite featuring the twin towers.

Not completely uncut. There's an exchange between grumpy residents in the towers which is truncated. Then again, they must've got on at some point because they put up washing lines :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    godzilla55 wrote: »
    how did that mistake even happen tho? like when the canadian channel global showed the family guy episode 'hell comes to quahog' where they showed the episode completly uncut.

No idea. I emailed C4 to thank them for showing it uncut, also stating that I presumed it was a mistake in doing so. I read somewhere they'd actually had complaints. Can't remember if I had a reply from them.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    OK, this is an exercise to help us all vent our frustration at C4 and others who cut the Simpsons.
    Say it with me.
    OK?
    GO!!

SHITE!
    BOLLOCKS!
    BLOODY!
    BASTARD!

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any mild swears in the Simpsons, Trollheart, is used in context, though, as opposed to out of context in a public forum.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smicer07 wrote: »
    I don't think "rape" is the right word to use.

I agree, it's very distasteful, but I have noticed that its usage in contexts like this has become quite common with the youth of today.

As for The Simpsons. I'm amazed it is still being made. It stopped being funny years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I'm very offended by this title. I knew someone who was raped and it's very inappropriate here.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I thought the Princess Di line was cut briefly after her death though when it was on Sky.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    JonJonB wrote: »
    I've heard bastard (and worse) said a million times before the watershed.
    I suspect whenever that happens, Ofcom get some complaints about it. Swearing before the watershed isn't allowed. For the opposite extreme, look at Japan, which has no watershed, and allows blood, death, swearing, all at breakfast time. Bet the Japanese Simpsons dub never gets any scenes cut at all. Shame that can't be said for the original English version.:(
  • rossm2008rossm2008 Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark X wrote: »
    Channel Four are hugely inconsistent with their Simpsons tampering. A few weeks ago, in the episode where Lisa started an independent newsletter, Willie's utterance of the phrase "I've been reviewing the new tractors - they're all shite!"* was left in (at least on Channel 4+1) on the evening broadcast. Meanwhile, as noted, lots of relatively harmless parts were cut out.

I don't think i've ever seen that. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    One thing that really shocked me was when I saw the Treehouse of Horror episode with Pierce Brosnon as the evil computer on channel 4 after already seeing it several times on sky one.
    When Marge calls the police and Pierce says "This is constable Wiggums, we'll be right there - take your knickers off and wait in the bath" I was stunned because they never had the last bit on sky one and I hadn't realised anything had been taken out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Not completely uncut. There's an exchange between grumpy residents in the towers which is truncated.

"Don't worry about him. They put all the jerks in Tower One."

I'd imagine the culture of taking a pair of scissors to anything remotely contentious in The Simpsons is not really going to improve any time soon, what with the story-hungry tabloids itching for the latest "NEW TV SCANDAL". It's already got to the point where "Man off telly says nasty thing about Prime Minister" is considered a news story again, as if Harold Macmillan was still in power, for flip's sake.

There used to be a brilliant site called The Snipsons, which kept a log of all the cuts made to the various episodes. It's mostly still available at http://web.archive.org/web/20010608210709/http://www.depro.co.uk/page11.html . For example, Sky used to cut out the part of the episode "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer" (i.e. the chilli eating contest) where Homer drank the candle wax, pretty much rendering the subsequent scene pretty odd.