Linux Users general chat thread.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Downloading it now. See how we go. I liked it a lot when I had it installed the other day, but found a couple of annoying bugs that sent me back to openSUSE. Generally, I found it eating a lot of the CPU which led to applications freezing (greying out) and being unusable. The System Settings tool was one that would take an age to open, then an age to close. Usual suspect Firefox was very slow too. I was a bit surprised to see a lot of memory being used too, and had read about a Compiz memory leak somewhere. Regardless, I was happy to go back to the stable performance of Gnome Shell!

But I really want to love the 'Bunt, and this release is very impressive if they can sort out the issues. Maybe it's all been fixed now.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still going strong with Gnome 3 .. i must have done something right :)
    Forum Member
    Well a quick play with the live USB reveals the same bugs, so I'm gonna stick with what I've got. :) I'll perhaps try it again in a month or so.
    I'm still going strong with Gnome 3 .. i must have done something right :)

:eek:

What do you think?
    Forum Member
    Sounds like I was too quick to blame Compiz/Ubuntu. There are indeed a number of complaints about the Nvidia drivers over on Nvidia's Linux forum relating the same issues I had, and an official announcement was made. I'll try Ubuntu again when they release a new Nvidia driver, hopefully soon.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Sounds like I was too quick to blame Compiz/Ubuntu. There are indeed a number of complaints about the Nvidia drivers over on Nvidia's Linux forum relating the same issues I had, and an official announcement was made. I'll try Ubuntu again when they release a new Nvidia driver, hopefully soon.

Well if this pans out to be true, then it will hopefully give ATI\NVIDIA a kick up the backside and start taking Linux drivers more seriously?
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1

http://www.osnews.com/comments/25873

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5Mjc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think?

I like it. Very much what I was expecting. I'm still currently going through the missing windows phase at the moment, but i'm trying to stick with it.

I always think if i stick with linux it'll encourage me to use my brain more if i want to do things in bash. when i worked in IT, i did it all on Unix systems as well so it's not like i don't know how to do it.

I've also had a version of Informix saved on disk forever so i want to unpack that and get that up and running at some point as well so i can maybe see if i can pick up developing in that again.

haven't tried any major games yet, just to see how the ATI drivers really do hold up under a bit of stress, but i'm sure i'll find something decent to play - i can always try the old classic and install "Open Arena" again :)
    Forum Member
    I like it. Very much what I was expecting.

You'll have gathered from my posts that I'm a bit of a Gnome 3 Shell fan. :D I just find it utterly intuitive, so much so that I find myself frustrated when using other DE's when it doesn't do the same things.

I'm not an especially technical Linux user, but I know enough to get by and have enough common sense to get it going well. I find you don't have to learn bash for Linux to get the brain working. Just distro-hop. That'll do it! :D
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I have tried the distro hopping before and every single time I have come back to Ubuntu and Unity :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just distro-hop. That'll do it! :D

I think my adventures in distro-hopping are well chronicled in this thread :)
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tadpole wrote: »
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is out. Not announced on the Ubuntu front page yet though.
    My Kubuntu 11.10 (I think) wants me to upgrade. The last software upgrade was really slow at about 46KiB so I think I'll wait a few days at least.
    Forum Member
    I think my adventures in distro-hopping are well chronicled in this thread :)

Course. Forgot who I was talking to. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xfce 4.10 Released after 1 year and 4 months of work.

http://xfce.org/about/tour
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Xfce 4.10 Released after 1 year and 4 months of work.

http://xfce.org/about/tour

I don't know why people mump on about Gnome 2 ending and the pointless MATE project when XFCE is so damn fine. This looks stunning. I'll be putting Xubuntu 12.04 on the missus' laptop soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people mump on about Gnome 2 ending and the pointless MATE project when XFCE is so damn fine. This looks stunning. I'll be putting Xubuntu 12.04 on the missus' laptop soon.

And great\easy to customise
    http://i41.tinypic.com/6qchfq.png

Gave up on Cinnamon, has got potential but too buggy in its early stages yet.
    Agree about MATE, dont get why devs at the likes of Mint are wasting time on it, its not like they have endless rescources.

They should be limmiting there OS versions or standards will drop!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The gb servers are terribly slow, so put aside a lot more time than usual.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968569

I just did a text based install of Kubuntu 12.04 (I like ncurses) which all went very nicely except for server delays during updates. I'm even happy to let grub2 do its stuff these days. I went for the 64bit DVD install thinking it could save the install procedure having to download language packs.

Learnt something today too. Not sure if it applies to all USB 3 optical drives, but I couldn't boot from my shiny new Lite-On until I plugged it into a USB 2 socket. They use the standard plug at the PC end.

I used cfdisk, instead of the more usual fdisk, to set up partitions. It's better according to man fdisk. :)
    cfdisk is a beautiful program that has strict requirements on the partition tables it accepts, and produces high quality partition tables. Use it if you can.
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried the distro hopping before and every single time I have come back to Ubuntu and Unity :D

I really liked Ubuntu desktop, but I find it a bit bloated now, I'm not a fan of Unity either, I just find it annoying.

I tried my hardest to like it but I just can't.

I'm running Lubuntu 12.04 on My Emachines ER1401 now and I have to say I really like it, doesn't come with most of the crap Ubuntu does.

I mainly use the Emachines for XBMC, To test I decided to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and XBMC would not manage 1080p (With VDPAU & even VAAPI enabled) at all. I threw on Lubuntu and XBMC plays 1080p no problem.
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »
    The gb servers are terribly slow, so put aside a lot more time than usual.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968569

I must have been lucky, as I managed to grab it in about ten minutes. Downloading Lubuntu now for the wee EeePC and it's nice and quick. Very impressed with Xubuntu though. Easily fits the Gnome 2 slot for the whingers imho.

Still no sign of a new Nvidia driver. I dunno why but I got it into my head that we'd see a new update soon because of all the bugs. But then, I haven't had them on my openSUSE install. Only Ubuntu. Hmmm....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must have been lucky, as I managed to grab it in about ten minutes.
    Yup, the actual .iso files download quick enough, it's updates which take forever if their source is gb.archive.ubuntu.com.

I wanted a modern minimal command line only Linux so I just installed ubuntu server and went for the minimal version. Fits easily in 1GB (with swap on another drive) and boots very quickly of course. :)
    Forum Member
    Yes, updating the missus current 10.04 install took ages. Very slow, but I think it's a bit better today.

Just discovered Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Shell Remix. I think I'm going to have to give this a go. I reckon it would be a good idea for Canonical to bring this in as an official version. I try, try, try to love Unity, but I'm just going to have to admit that I can't. I always end up back on Gnome Shell, but the problem is it's rubbish on Ubuntu as it's missing a lot of main Gnome components and just doesn't feel as nice. I still want the Ubuntu technology, but I want it to come with Gnome and not Unity. Maybe this can fill the void.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main reason for my recent hardware upgrade was to get better gaming performance on Windows, so I've been installing and setting up XP initially and then; because I had to use IDE instead of AHCI for the drives, and I had a sound problem in XP, Win7. So many many reboots and then because I had to make a bigger partition to accommodate 7, I had to install Kubuntu and its little server flavour again.

And then the sound problem turned out to be because the install of the XP Realtek sound card driver switched the in and outs to the front sockets and I was already plugged in the ones at the back. :rolleyes:

At all times the current (previous) Kubuntu 11.10, which was installed on entirely different hardware, has worked without a hitch. Although I'd definitely re-install the nVidia driver if I wasn't 'bringing up' a new install. I've found the same during previous upgrades, but it never ceases to impress...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bit of news, as some people are having problems with Nvidia drivers.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5NTY
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Just a bit of news, as some people are having problems with Nvidia drivers.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5NTY

That's excellent news. I'm currently backing up my openSUSE install with a view to trying Ubuntu again, so this is timely. I'm a bit unsure though; does this release fix all of the reported bugs? The article makes no reference to them, unless I'm completely blind...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit unsure though; does this release fix all of the reported bugs? The article makes no reference to them, unless I'm completely blind...

Sorry, as im a ATI user (or AMD if you must :D) didn't read it all, and as a ATI user im not sure what the present 'Bugs' are with the Nvidia driver :o
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I installed Ubuntu 12.04 at the weekend and I am very happy with it. The installation was flawless as usual and Unity is much more mature now. It seems so much more stable (I know that's expected from an LTS) and it's snappier and easy to use. It still lacks the ability to minimise windows by clicking the active launcher icon but that is such a small complaint and my understanding is that it is in the pipeline anyway.