SD Dummy Card Issue

everytime I switch my laptop on I get a message up saying you need to format the disk in drive f: before you can use it.
now this is just a plastic dummy sd card.

anyone got any ideas

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask Robin? Sorry couldn't resist.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    everytime I switch my laptop on I get a message up saying you need to format the disk in drive f: before you can use it.
    now this is just a plastic dummy sd card.

anyone got any ideas
    Take it out?

Not entirely sure why you would want a dummy card in the slot but it could just be triggering some detection device and making the laptop think there is a real card inserted.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Ask Robin? Sorry couldn't resist.

IMHO Alfred would be the one to ask.

I'd recommend taking it out though.
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    cheers for the help would rather keep the dummy card in to keep dust out, for the amount of times I have used it have disabled it
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    cheers for the help would rather keep the dummy card in to keep dust out, for the amount of times I have used it have disabled it
    I would seriously doubt you would encounter enough dust in a normal domestic situation to cause any harm.

If you live next door to a concrete crushing plant then that would be a different matter. :D
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy an SD card to fit the slot - they're not at all expensive and then use it either as a RAM booster, or as a back up.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    "A RAM booster"?

I don't think an SD card is going to be fast enough to warrant being used as a "RAM booster". And how would it be configured anyway?
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Take it out and stick a bit of gaffer tape over the slot!

Alternatively, find out where the card inserting switch is and file that bit off the dummy card so that is doesn't activate it.
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    "A RAM booster"?

I don't think an SD card is going to be fast enough to warrant being used as a "RAM booster". And how would it be configured anyway?

Are USB sticks quicker than an SD card then?
    Forum Member
    Not sure what you are asking. There was no mention of USB up until now.
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Not sure what you are asking. There was no mention of USB up until now.

You said you can't use an SD card as a RAM booster but you are able to use USB sticks so was asking is a USB stick was quicker than an SD card.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    You said you can't use an SD card as a RAM booster but you are able to use USB sticks so was asking is a USB stick was quicker than an SD card.

I didn't mention USB devices in my post so don't know where you're picking that up from.

My interpretation of "RAM booster" was using the SD card to increase the amount of memory available for running applications which I don't think is practical as the access would be way too slow for the CPU. Perhaps that's not what the poster meant.

Using an SD card or USB flash drive to increase storage space, yes that's fine.

Happy for anyone else to correct me, but I guess USB and SD access speeds could be about the same give or take 10Mb/sec. Of course it may depend on how the SD card is connected - is it through a dedicated card slot, or through a USB connected card reader in which case they are more likely to be very similar.
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I stick an SD card in my laptop, one of the auto run options is to use it as a supplemental memory device under the guise of 'readyboost'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost
    Perhaps RAM boost was the wrong phrase to use.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that link. As an XP user I wasn't aware of such functionality and thought these flash memory devices would be far too slow to offer a performance increase. But looks like I'm wrong.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You shouldnt leave a SD card, dummy or not in a comp, could cause startup problems.