Looking to play old Playstation games

Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone tell me what current computer systems can be used to play old Playstation games like Vib Ribbon and Parappa the Rapper?

I know these were PS1 games but are there any systems out now which can play them? Also can you get them on any other formats? And yes, I tried looking this up a few times but to no avail, hence why I'm asking here.

Any help that anyone can give me will be much appreciated.

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres always emulators?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you mustn't have used the right search terms when looking. As whover said, search for emulators. Thats pretty much the only way without picking up a ps3 and hitting the retro section of the PSN Store...
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I dabble with emulators I never get anywhere. I was kind of hoping to find a system which did not need any.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best bet would be to find a shop flogging old ps/1's then, generally emulators take much more work than just slapping a disc in the machine and switching it on
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Best bet would be to find a shop flogging old ps/1's then, generally emulators take much more work than just slapping a disc in the machine and switching it on

This, you can pick them up off eBay silly cheap. Why mess about with emulators.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time I dabble with emulators I never get anywhere. I was kind of hoping to find a system which did not need any.

You will always need an emulator. No PC/Mac is natively PlayStation compatible.

As per the last two posts, just grab a PSOne.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help, but are there no current consoles which can play PS1 games? I thought the PS2 and PS3 were backward compatible?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS2 is backwards compatible but is hardly current. The PS3 has PS1 and 2 games available through the PSN Store, it won't play PS1 discs and only the early PS3 phat consoles could play PS2 discs, but not all games were compatible.
  • Ross1874Ross1874 Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PS3 can play ps1 discs
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross1874 wrote: »
    The PS3 can play ps1 discs

Only the very first PS3s the 60gb ones which are getting hard to find.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS3 can play PS1 but not PS2 (unless you have the 60gb original version)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    PS3 can play PS1 but not PS2 (unless you have the 60gb original version)

From disc? Or do you mean, as I've already mentioned, through downloading games from the PSN Store?

I'll give a disc a try now, actually...

Yep, you're right. Just fired up my old PS1 Tekken 3 disc. Had a problem with sound at first but it appears to have fixed itself.

So, there you go OP. Another option for you.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the very first PS3s the 60gb ones which are getting hard to find.

All PS3's play PlayStation 1 games.

:) Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »

But not all games are compatible, apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

I'm now miffed as I was going to dig out my Destruction Derby 2 disc for a quick play! Mind you, I still have my PS1 and PS2 so can't really complain :D
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry but have been thinking about PS2 games there :rolleyes: :o
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

I'm now miffed as I was going to dig out my Destruction Derby 2 disc for a quick play! Mind you, I still have my PS1 and PS2 so can't really complain :D

I have about 100 PS1 games and luckily had no issus with compatability.

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    This is true. I keep meaning to have another go at FF8 but the disc version doesnt work and bugger paying £8 for a PS1 game I already own

I also have a game that didn't work on the PS2 but does work on the PS3. Just goes to show emulation aint all its cracked up to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have about 100 PS1 games and luckily had no issus with compatability.

None of those are either of the Destruction Derby games, obviously :D
    s2k wrote: »
    This is true. I keep meaning to have another go at FF8 but the disc version doesnt work and bugger paying £8 for a PS1 game I already own

This is something I just noticed. DD isn't compatible but is available for download. Bugger that, I'll just dust off the PS2 for a quick play :D