My cat's tongue looks like it's been half bitten off!

CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The number one fur-meister in my life has been doing this odd thing with his mouth the last couple of days.

So I've just had a look inside his mouth and his tongue is a mess - it's sore, bleeding and it looks like a bit is missing!

He's been eating and washing normally and seems happy enough. He's booked into the vets tonight but has anyone else had a problem with this?

Comments

• potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Oh dear - I hope another cat or animal didn't bite if off.
    Taking to vet sounds very wise and could get infected.
    Keep us posted.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Oooooooooooooooh poor pussy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,673
    Forum Member
    Poor cat :(

Hope the vet can sort him out.
  • Mimizuku no LewMimizuku no Lew Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cat was suffering from the same problem following a fight with another cat. Your vet should be able to stitch it back together. Tongues heal remarkably well, to look at Charlie's tongue now you'd never know it had been stitched back together.
  • maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I had a cat with a similar injury. The vet reckoned he'd been bitten by a mouse or a rat :D

He recovered really well. I can't remember now what happened, but IIRC he had a short course of antibiotics just in case it was (or became) infected.

Hope your cat's OK.
  • CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cat was suffering from the same problem following a fight with another cat. Your vet should be able to stitch it back together. Tongues heal remarkably well, to look at Charlie's tongue now you'd never know it had been stitched back together.

That's good to know - thankyou Mimizuku. I like to think of myself as a fairly well adjusted woman but I am a total sap when it comes to my cat.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number one fur-meister in my life has been doing this odd thing with his mouth the last couple of days.

So I've just had a look inside his mouth and his tongue is a mess - it's sore, bleeding and it looks like a bit is missing!

He's been eating and washing normally and seems happy enough. He's booked into the vets tonight but has anyone else had a problem with this?

Aww bless his heart, it does sound like a bad fight. Gosh my eldest has the shredded ears of a seasoned boxer but not heard of the tongue, yet it's possible I suppose when they're yelling and lashing out at one another. Traumatic to discover that. Let us know how it goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like he could have a nasty infection going on - that often makes tongues appear in the way you've described. Is he fully vaccinated? Does he ever fight with other cats?
  • trixiehobbittrixiehobbit Posts: 4,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To CabbagesAhoy's cat ((((((hug))))))

from Trixiehobbit's 3 legged cat, Floyd xxx

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *R.C. wrote:
    Sounds like he could have a nasty infection going on - that often makes tongues appear in the way you've described. Is he fully vaccinated? Does he ever fight with other cats?

He's fully vaccinated but he is currently involved in a turf war with Jack the tom from 2 doors away. Just been to the vets and it does look like he is a victim of a good old feline bashing. He is set to make a full recovery though he may well have a forked tongue for the rest of his furry days.

Thankyou for all your kind words - As ever DS'ers prove that the world is 99% comprised of lovely people. Igor and I very much appreciate it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    It sounds a really weird thing but do you feed him tinned food? My cat had this exact same thing once and his tongue swelled up and was bleeding, we thought he had caught it/cut it and he was scratching at it like mad.

It turned out that one of the tubey bits in the cat food (bronchial tube or something!!) had slipped over his tongue and as it was flesh coloured we couldn't tell the difference. It was touch and go but with one quick snip, the vet cut it off. No more tinned food after that!!

Oh just seen your post above...bloomin toms, eh?! :rolleyes:
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's fully vaccinated but he is currently involved in a turf war with Jack the tom from 2 doors away. Just been to the vets and it does look like he is a victim of a good old feline bashing. He is set to make a full recovery though he may well have a forked tongue for the rest of his furry days.

Thankyou for all your kind words - As ever DS'ers prove that the world is 99% comprised of lovely people. Igor and I very much appreciate it!

Ahhhhhh Cabbages... (((((Lots of cuddles for puss!))))).. Bleedin toms!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Kitty,my Puss has dental disease and sometimes his teeth hurt when he eats.I hope your cat feels better soon :) xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote:
    It sounds a really weird thing but do you feed him tinned food? My cat had this exact same thing once and his tongue swelled up and was bleeding, we thought he had caught it/cut it and he was scratching at it like mad.

It turned out that one of the tubey bits in the cat food (bronchial tube or something!!) had slipped over his tongue and as it was flesh coloured we couldn't tell the difference. It was touch and go but with one quick snip, the vet cut it off. No more tinned food after that!!

Oh just seen your post above...bloomin toms, eh?! :rolleyes:

Igor won't do tinned food. He is thoroughly spoilt. Mr.Cabbages bought him tinned Felix but he's 100% a pouch puss.