Will tablets totally replace laptops soon?

PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it likely in your opinion that manufacturers will stop producing laptops eventually & just make tablets?

Comments

• JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People still like proper keyboards for serious work, so maybe a hybrid system like the Asus Transformer is the way things will go.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, it will kill off netbooks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I agree that it'll kill off netbooks but definitely not laptops. There are still a lot of stuff you can't do on a tablet so laptops are pretty much safe for the foreseeable future.

I think desktops will become more for gamers and professionals as more and more 'standard' users are opting for laptops or tablets.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Definitely not. Until a device like an iPad has USB, can multitask, uses Windows, OSX or Linux rather than a phone OS, runs desktop software, has keyboard and mouse, is able to support several monitors (useful for video editors and photographers), have big hard drives, have decent file systems and can run high end software, then no. There's still a market for laptops and that's not likely to go away in the next few years. The one big change in laptops that's likely to happen is that Macbook Air-type laptops and laptop/tablet hybrids will be more common in the consumer market. High end laptops will probably still have optical drives.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tablets replace laptops? only in the dreams of some marketing people .... I'm sure likes of apple intend to sell macbooks for years yet .... yes tablets, especially ones like the asus eepad transformer will kill off the netbooks .... a best of both product that you can still use a mouse & sd cards if you wish as well.
    Another one that caught my eye, also from Asus is their PadFone 2 .... if that also came with keyboard bit like the transformer i'd be interested
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not. Until a device like an iPad has USB, can multitask, uses Windows, OSX or Linux rather than a phone OS, runs desktop software, has keyboard and mouse, is able to support several monitors (useful for video editors and photographers), have big hard drives, have decent file systems and can run high end software, then no. There's still a market for laptops and that's not likely to go away in the next few years. The one big change in laptops that's likely to happen is that Macbook Air-type laptops and laptop/tablet hybrids will be more common in the consumer market. High end laptops will probably still have optical drives.

A surface tablet does all that.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    A surface tablet does all that.

no

the surface PRO might do all that but the standard 'surface' doesn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    no

The Pro will yes. I never said the RT version.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D Kinda destroys my idea lol.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    The Pro will yes. I never said the RT version.

well if im being picky you stated a 'Surface tablet does all that' and the only surface tablet available at the mo is the RT :D

but I think we are in agreement ;)

The Surface Pro .... or probably the surface Pro version 2 or 3 ... could really be a game changer if it really is full Windows functionality with tablet convenience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well if im being picky you stated a 'Surface tablet does all that' and the only surface tablet available at the mo is the RT :D

but I think we are in agreement ;)

The Surface Pro .... or probably the surface Pro version 2 or 3 ... could really be a game changer if it really is full Windows functionality with tablet convenience.

Aye that is a very good point in bold actually :)
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You just described Windows 8 convertibles. ;)
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    tablets replace laptops? only in the dreams of some marketing people .... I'm sure likes of apple intend to sell macbooks for years yet .... yes tablets, especially ones like the asus eepad transformer will kill off the netbooks .... a best of both product that you can still use a mouse & sd cards if you wish as well.
    Another one that caught my eye, also from Asus is their PadFone 2 .... if that also came with keyboard bit like the transformer i'd be interested

I should hope so, for my sanity's and reputation's sake :D Otherwise what will I replace my current Macbooks with when they give up the ghost?
    :D Kinda destroys my idea lol.

What idea?
    Helbore wrote: »
    You just described Windows 8 convertibles. ;)

I have? It was meant to be a rant!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no

How will people be able to put linux on the surface pro as Ms will make sure that can't happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even netbook keyboards are okish to type on, I am nto a typer, but I know someone who is and they can go nineteen to a dozen on their netbook, they tried a surface with both keyboard and they was a lot slower.

When they got the netbook at home they connect it up to a large monitor and a cherry keyboard.

but yes i think netbooks will go eventually, but larger laptops will stay and so will desktops as some people need something a bit more powerful than a snapdragon CPU and a couple of gigabyte of ram.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO a laptop is far more convenient than a tablet with a separate proper keyboard. A laptop has various other advantages, such as probably having more computational power, a larger hard disc, probably a CD/DVD drive, and not being restricted to the programs available on app stores.

A reasonable laptop will probably be considerably less expensive than a Surface Pro tablet, although Microsoft might drop the price after the poor initial sales of the Surface RT.
    "With prices of $899 and $999, we think the sterling price for the Surface Pro in the UK could well be between £749 and £799 for the 64GB model. Microsoft will want the price jump to the 128GB model to be small enough to tempt buyers to spend a bit more. We predict another £100 placing the 128GB Surface Pro between £849 and £899." - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/tablets/3414038/microsoft-surface-pro-price-in-uk 30-Nov-12
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netbooks will go really but laptops are here to stay as are desktops. I've a 17" display on my Vaio laptop so really its more a portable computer and sometimes say when on holiday I'd like something smaller but with power and thats where the newer tablets will find a market, lightweight, compact yet powerful devices; I'm waiting for the Pro to launch (that said, on my recent extended break to Gran Canaria I took a Cheap 10" android tablet which has a plug in keyboard and as a little web browser/watch a film/mp3's it did a cracking job and all for about £110 but thats all its good for really).

I'll not scrap my desktops, I need the storage and love a big monitor for extended use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The surface RT is too light for desk use, when I used one I noticed it kept slipping around the table, no doubt it is fine when it is flat, but it can't really be used flat with the keyboard.

The only problem I have with my desktop is the fan is a bit loud, I got to sort it out, once I find out what fan it is,

Talking about monitors, I got to get a second one at some point.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is some scope for chromebooks as time progresses. They have good keyboards (better than most netbooks) and are more productive than most tablets. At present you can create and edit documents offline and carry out other functions. As time goes on I expect more things will work offline.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is some scope for chromebooks as time progresses.
    The technology is very clever, but IMHO at the moment their prices are too close to those of conventional laptops to make them widely attractive.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    The technology is very clever, but IMHO at the moment their prices are too close to those of conventional laptops to make them widely attractive.

Well you can pick up a chromebook for £199. A laptop would cost at least £100 more. At netbook could be had for a similar price but would most likely have an awful keyboard and track pad and the ram would be insufficient. I think Chromebooks could replace netbooks.
    Forum Member
    Well you can pick up a chromebook for £199. A laptop would cost at least £100 more. At netbook could be had for a similar price but would most likely have an awful keyboard and track pad and the ram would be insufficient. I think Chromebooks could replace netbooks.

I like the idea of Chromebooks. They'd make great computers to have in the house for visitors to use. If I was running a hotel/B&B I'd buy a few and allow guests to rent them out during their stay.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of Chromebooks. They'd make great computers to have in the house for visitors to use. If I was running a hotel/B&B I'd buy a few and allow guests to rent them out during their stay.

they are very limited, they are basically just a browser and to make it worse it doesn't even work with load of sites.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. They might kill off Notebooks. The extra capability of a laptop compared to a tablet will save them.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    The surface RT is too light for desk use, when I used one I noticed it kept slipping around the table, no doubt it is fine when it is flat, but it can't really be used flat with the keyboard.

The Surface RT is absolutely fine for desk use. Since buying one, I haven't taken my laptop out to work at all. I'd never replace my trusty desktop with it (I have custom built my own desktops since the Pentium era), but its absolutely fine as a laptop replacement in such a scenario (ie. where the laptop is not your primary computing device).

The only place it is a bit fiddly is if you want to use it in laptop mode when actually on your lap. You can do it, but its not ideal. Fortunately, its easier to use it as a tablet in such situations anyway.