Car Battery Distilled Water

SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
Forum Member
The water level in my cars battery is a little low and needs topping up to avoid any damage to the battery. Somebody has told me that rain water or kettle boiled water can be used as it is distilled. Now I understand rain water, but how is kettle water distilled? My understanding was that distilled meant that the water had changed state from liquid to gas and then back - however kettle boiled water doesn't actually completely boil, does it?

So is kettle boiled water ok for this or not? :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I would reccomend that you just go to your local garage(fuel) and get a bottle of distilled water rather than taking a risk with anything else!
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    The water level in my cars battery is a little low and needs topping up to avoid any damage to the battery. Somebody has told me that rain water or kettle boiled water can be used as it is distilled. Now I understand rain water, but how is kettle water distilled? My understanding was that distilled meant that the water had changed state from liquid to gas and then back - however kettle boiled water doesn't actually completely boil, does it?

So is kettle boiled water ok for this or not? :confused:
    it's not just the fact of changing state from liquid to gas and back that turns water into distilled water, the steam needs to be collected and condensed in a separate clean container, leaving all the contaminants behind. arguably water in a kettle that has boiled is actually less pure than the original tap water because some of the water will have evapourated as steam, leaving behind water with a greater concentration of impurities.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    it's not the fact of changing state from liquid to gas and back that turns water into distilled water, the steam needs to be collected and condensed in a separate clean container, leaving all the contaminants behind. arguably water in a kettle that has boiled is actually less pure than the original tap water because some of the water will have evapourated as steam, leaving behind water with a greater concentration of impurities.

Pretty much what I thought. Not for one second did I think water boiled in a kettle could be called 'distilled'..

I don't fancy waiting for it to rain either.

I think I'll go to Halfords or my local garage and buy some. Which is better, distilled or deionized? I've heard that deionized can cause problems in the long run.
  • KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Properly distilled water would be preferable, but if for whatever reason you can not get it.

There is no problem with using boiled kettle water, just ensure it has cooled considerably before putting in the battery.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaylan wrote: »

There is no problem with using boiled kettle water, just ensure it has cooled considerably before putting in the battery.

Only as an emergency as you would be better putting normal tap water in than boiled water. As stated above boiled water will just concentrate the impurities and may shorten the length of the battery.