Does anyone have an XP SP3 disc?

My son's given me an old Samsung X05 laptop which I plan to use as a spare but although it's got service pack 3 installed, when I try to install my printer on it, it asks me to insert the SP3 disc. Microsoft don't issue these anymore, so if anyone's got one they don't need or can offer any alternative suggestions...?

Thanks

Comments

• QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Download the full package here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=24

Then using something like WinRAR extract the contents of it to a folder then when it asks for the disc point it to the folder you extract the contents into or you could just rerun the SP3 install and it should hopefully put the files back its looking for.
  • nottmannottman Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Thanks Quackers - I'll give that a whirl
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't work.

What it's asking for is the XP with SP3 disk - in other words, the XP installation disk.

That's what you need to borrow from a friend of neighbour.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I was thinking ... so either a physical XP disk, or a downloaded ISO (not from a torrent) would be better.

Is the version of XP in question, the Home Edition or Professional? If it's the XP that came with the laptop, I would
    assume it's the Home Edition. If it's since been re-installed with a separate XP disk, it could be Professional.

OP ... I have both ISO's (no product keys) in a temp folder on our webserver ... PM me if you need a link.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try browsing to c:\windows\options\cabs and see if the OEM set it up right.

This was mainly used in Win98, but some OEMs carried the practice over for XP.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it's probably the oem version too.

you could just click on cancel.

and does anyone recall is XP one of those OS's that copies it's installation files to i386?
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    does anyone recall is XP one of those OS's that copies it's installation files to i386?

Don't seem to - just searched i386 on my XP Pro VM and got this

http://s22.postimg.org/7z902fye9/386.jpg
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Here is mine, Xp pro SP3 .....

http://s24.postimg.org/4gy0jxhtx/i386.png

hmm, there seem to be multiple entries for the same thing.
    Forum Member
    Just catching up with this again - thanks for your contributions, all. It's the Home edition, by the way.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nottman wrote: »
    Just catching up with this again - thanks for your contributions, all. It's the Home edition, by the way.
    In that case, I think you'll need a copy of the XP Home Edition with SP3 ISO, which you can download to your PC,
    and extract the contents with WinRAR, or any program specifically made to handle ISO files. There is a copy of
    this in a temp folder on our webserver. If you need a download link, drop me a PM . . .
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    In that case, I think you'll need a copy of the XP Home Edition with SP3 ISO, which you can download to your PC,and extract the contents with WinRAR

The whole idea if an ISO is that its a CD image file. You have to burn it to CD as an image using ImgBurn, Nero etc. Although you can extract an ISO using WINRAR, there is no need in this case.
    Forum Member
    Managed to get a copy from work...thanks again, everyone