Options

BBC advertise for a new Freeview HD channel or 3 SD channel closing date 20/12/12

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I would welcome 3 new SD entertainment channels provided they were broadcast at 720x576.
    So you would value the broadcast quality over the content quality?
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »

I'd welcome a quality HD channel mix from ITV, 4 or 5 if all programmes were Full HD from within the last week.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I specified entertainment channels, so the content would be far more likely to appeal to people than a shopping or news channel for instance.

There are many entertainment channels on Freeview that are wholly spoilt by having a low bitrate and 544x576 resolution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I specified entertainment channels, so the content would be far more likely to appeal to people than a shopping or news channel for instance.

There are many entertainment channels on Freeview that are wholly spoilt by having a low bitrate and 544x576 resolution.
    But you specified 3 new entertainment channels - and as there has been space previously available but not taken by quality entertainment channels, the likelihood of 3 new ones appearing and being of any quality is pretty slim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether the likelihood of 3 new entertainment channels appearing is slim or not is irrelevant.

The advert is for one HD or possibly 3 SD and I merely commented I would be happy with 3 SD entertainment at 720x576 screen resolution.

You seem to be trying to make a big deal about it. :confused:

There's no guarantee that one new HD channel would be of any quality either.
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    If any existing contract precluded C5 from launching their HD channel on DTT, why would they bother applying twice?

To reserve the slot until the existing contract expired perhaps, or maybe they were in discussions for an early release from a contract.. who knows? The reasons were disclosed, just not to the general public.
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Russia Today HD perhaps. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether the likelihood of 3 new entertainment channels appearing is slim or not is irrelevant.

The advert is for one HD or possibly 3 SD and I merely commented I would be happy with 3 SD entertainment at 720x576 screen resolution.
    And I merely pointed out that I thought that would be unlikely given the history of the take-up of free channel space on Freeview - a simple opinion which YOU seem to want to make a big deal of (rather than simply accepting it as such and moving on).

We can all harbour personal/fantasy wish-lists, but just because it's a wish-list does not mean that it will ever happen, or that others cannot challenge the thinking behind it.
  • Options
    zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not have BBC Sport HD. That would by & large clear BBC 1 & 2 of sport so we would not any longer have to put up with over running sport screwing up the schedules.

It would also solve the problem of BBC HD becoming a nationwide BBC 2 service with no UK nation opt outs. (At present UK nations opt out for their own programmes at times but in order to stop this being wasteful with satellite HD capacity, the BBC would like to see one UK BBC 2 HD/SD service). So, local nation region opt outs could go on such a channel possibly UK wide with the rest of the capacity being taken up with HD stuff from a combination of BBC 3 & 4.

Of course, it it still best for regional opt outs to be on the regionalised BBC 1 service as we have when the 'Inside Out'* programmes are shown for each region. * NI, Scotland & Wales have alternatives to Inside Out.

Alternatively, I would favour CH 5 HD using the capacity.

What I would not wish to see yet more SD channels.
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    Why not have BBC Sport HD. That would by & large clear BBC 1 & 2 of sport so we would not any longer have to put up with over running sport screwing up the schedules.

And instantly deprive millions of viewers w/o a Freeview HD tuner of any BBC sport programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC does not have sufficient sports rights to populate even a part-time channel, never mind a full one.

And I'd be willing to bet that other broadcasters would lodge anti-competition complaints with the BBC Trust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    And instantly deprive millions of viewers w/o a Freeview HD tuner of any BBC sport programmes.
    Ah, that would not matter to the poster who probably does not watch sport .... a bit of the old "I don't like it/don't watch it so it should not be shown" attitude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I merely pointed out that I thought that would be unlikely given the history of the take-up of free channel space on Freeview - a simple opinion which YOU seem to want to make a big deal of (rather than simply accepting it as such and moving on).
    We can all harbour personal/fantasy wish-lists, but just because it's a wish-list does not mean that it will ever happen, or that others cannot challenge the thinking behind it.

No YOU are the one who made the big deal and can't move on. I originally said I would welcome 3 SD channels over one HD if they were in the entertainment genre and at 720x576. NOTHING MORE.

You then started banging on about me preferring content over picture quality and saying no new channels were likely to appear, which was completely irrelevant to anything I originally said.

You can have an opinion on what you think might happen but I take exception that you chose to use my posts as a platform to create an argument and continue to do so.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC does not have sufficient sports rights to populate even a part-time channel, never mind a full one.

And I'd be willing to bet that other broadcasters would lodge anti-competition complaints with the BBC Trust.

A sports channel would Never pass PVT and MIA as required by the BBC Trust in the first place .

The BBC needs the money from this slot - but if no one else wants it they may be persuaded to do something with it - the cheapest would probably be to put News on it - But this may fail a PVT. My hope woduld Be BBC Four
  • Options
    smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the hd mux should be for hd only. If there isn't a decent bidder coming in then the bbc should use it for 301 for the little live sport they have, and maybe use it for some 3d as well.

Just wondering about BT. Have they got space for there channels yet? Would they be allowed the space for either 1 hd channel or 3 sd channels? or has it got to be used for FTA?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Are people completely barking mad?!?!? Why is anybody on here saying they would prefer 3 more SD channels?!?!?! As people have already pointed out on here you would still need a Freeview HD set top box or TV to view the channels. They are therefore of no use to people without HD equipment.

It would be a complete disaster to waste limited HD frequency on more friggin' SD channels. Which WILL inevitably just be shopping channels or similar dross. Sky and Virgin pay all the better channels not available on Freeview to remain on their services. They aren't going to dump their lucrative Sky deals for even less viewers on Freeview HD.

Yeah, lets have more SD channels that look wibbly wobbly once they've gone through the useless upscalers 99% HD TV sets come fitted with. Asking for more SD on a HD service is like buying a colour TV and then asking if you can have more black and white channels. Utter madness!
    Somebody talking sense!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Actually there is as far as resolution is concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No YOU are the one who made the big deal and can't move on.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but ]I've moved on mate, to such an extent that I am not bothering to read the rest of your post.. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sports channel would Never pass PVT and MIA as required by the BBC Trust in the first place

The BBC needs the money from this slot - but if no one else wants it they may be persuaded to do something with it - the cheapest would probably be to put News on it - But this may fail a PVT. My hope woduld Be BBC Four

Agreed on both points
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't take this the wrong way, but ]I've moved on mate, to such an extent that I am not bothering to read the rest of your post.. :)
    Good, if only you'd done that in the first place and hadn't made such a fuss about nothing.
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Actually there is as far as resolution is concerned.
    Yes, but the context was about programming rather than picture resolution. :)
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smcbeath wrote: »
    I think that the hd mux should be for hd only. If there isn't a decent bidder coming in then the bbc should use it for 301 for the little live sport they have, and maybe use it for some 3d as well.

Just wondering about BT. Have they got space for there channels yet? Would they be allowed the space for either 1 hd channel or 3 sd channels? or has it got to be used for FTA?

BT already have DTT capacity that they use to broadcast Sky Sports 1&2. They are wanting to ditch this after this season in favour of new sports channels over IPTV. They are not about to buy more capacity!
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    BT already have DTT capacity that they use to broadcast Sky Sports 1&2. They are wanting to ditch this after this season in favour of new sports channels over IPTV. They are not about to buy more capacity!

!!!!!!!!
    Again, an alleged comment made to someone at a conference but BT have not backed this up in any form officially!
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id rather have 3 SD channels and the BBC getting a bit of money to get by vs an empty HD slot!
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    !!!!!!!!
    Again, an alleged comment made to someone at a conference but BT have not backed this up in any form officially!
    What'd be the point in BT using a Freeview HD mux for their sports channels? IPTV makes far more sense - they'd be able to offer HD (clearly a must if they want to compete with Sky) and everyone with half-decent broadband would be able to access it (Infinity required for HD).
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    What'd be the point in BT using a Freeview HD mux for their sports channels? IPTV makes far more sense - they'd be able to offer HD (clearly a must if they want to compete with Sky) and everyone with half-decent broadband would be able to access it (Infinity required for HD).
    I agree. plus to add it to BT Vision costs BT next to nothing, and to Freeview costs millions, and no kidding BT are going all out to create a platform to rival Sky, so would seem silly to put channels on a rival platform. And yes BT does use the Freeview signal at the moment but I'm sure it won't be longer before they move to IPTV on BT