Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Hello All - just started watching DM in the fall (2012) when it showed up on our local PBS station - along with Call the Midwife. By about 4 episodes I was clearly hooked and got all the DVDs. Then I found this forum and it makes rewatching so much more fun...I have gone back to many things I missed the first time.
    I rewatched S3E3 today (among others)- what is called City Slickers but on the US DVDs is called Love thy Neighbor - and I agree with many that Mrs Averill is a great character. I laugh out load everytime I watch when DM asks if she has traveled abroad and she replies that she went to Delabole. If she is ninety then she is my role model for when I get there.
    I look forward to future rehashing of all the nuances of the plot and characters and the infuriating habit of changes to the surgery and kitchen and other loctions with every season. Any one got a clue who has the fascination with sailboats? It is never mentioned and it so clearly is not ME.

Welcome to the forum. :):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Louisa's Rose Cottage bedroom, with its riot of color, has a similar role, as you point out. Can we imagine DM actually spending more than a night or two in such a room?

Yes, Yes, Omg Yes! Sorry, but yes I can see him spending more than a night or two in such a room. ;):D
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Yes, Yes, Omg Yes! Sorry, but yes I can see him spending more than a night or two in such a room. ;):D

I imagine it could be quite ... disinhibiting.;)
  • whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome all Newbies...

Regarding the Buddha, the fact that it is prominently displayed and that DM has a history with it I don't think it is just a placement by the crew. What if he was given this on his many trips to the Maldives and thought enough of it to be included in his series and everytime he sees it, reminds him of his holidays spent there, just a thought!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

What penguin? How come I don't see a penguin?
    Is this site being filtered by the government?
    Am I being watched?

Thanks, cc.cookie. This is like the Emperor's New Clothes - I thought I was the only one that couldn't figure out this Penguin Talk. Am I not reading forum comments studiously enough? Is there some hidden message that everyone else got? If I copy and print out a certain Adelie post at precisely a particular line length, font, and point size, will I see the image of a penguin?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Welcome all Newbies...

Regarding the Buddha, the fact that it is prominently displayed and that DM has a history with it I don't think it is just a placement by the crew. What if he was given this on his many trips to the Maldives and thought enough of it to be included in his series and everytime he sees it, reminds him of his holidays spent there, just a thought!!

Let's make a deal that whoever gets close enough to MC during filming has to ask him about those Buddha's. And, look at the color of his eyes too! (As you're going in for that kiss. Tee hee)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks, cc.cookie. This is like the Emperor's New Clothes - I thought I was the only one that couldn't figure out this Penguin Talk. Am I not reading forum comments studiously enough? Is there some hidden message that everyone else got? If I copy and print out a certain Renee post at precisely a particular line length, font, and point size, will I see the image of a penguin?

BTW, the forum quotes are off-track again. I quoted cc.cookie and her comment was attributed to Renee. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What penguin? How come I don't see a penguin?
    Is this site being filtered by the government?
    Am I being watched?

Thanks, cc.cookie. This is like the Emperor's New Clothes - I thought I was the only one that couldn't figure out this Penguin Talk. Am I not reading forum comments studiously enough? Is there some hidden message that everyone else got? If I copy and print out a certain Adelie post at precisely a particular line length, font, and point size, will I see the image of a penguin?

All right you two, here's the big secret: If you click on someone's name on the forum, a list will appear. Click on public profile and you will read whatever info the person wants you to know. There's even room for a small profile picture! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BTW, the forum quotes are off-track again. I quoted cc.cookie and her comment was attributed to Renee. :confused:

I think it happens when a bracket around QUOTE is accidentally deleted.

Once it goes off the rails, it can't be fixed within that particular thread.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice BUT I think these great writers could have woven a little (or a LOT) more humour and a little subtle (or not so subtle) seduction into the mix.
    "I bought a fish" didn't do it for me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I really really hope they get their sense of humour and fun back when they're writing series 6.

I know we have differing views of S5 because I really liked it and found lots of humor in the series. What might be fun during our rewatch is when watching S4 & S5, keep track of how many times we laughed during each episode and see how much difference there is between the series.

At the end of each person's analysis say, "L=5". Just might be fun :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And parenthetically, I really do love the way these sets are "dressed," with such care and aptness. In the scene just mentioned, behind Louisa's head, is a new piece of kitchen furniture, displaying a large number of plates, obviously a collection of some kind. Is this new? Also in this episode, there is a very handsome wooden desk in the corner of the surgery office, which looks like a new acquisition.

Are you talking about the hutch (looks like it is built-in) directly across from the back door? If so, that's always been there ;) I looked at scene and didn't see anything new.

The desk in the back corner of the surgery was brought in by Dr Dibbs. In E1 it was closed up, but when Martin took over, he opened the front and put stuff in it. He really is into decor, isn't he? I have noticed, in watching S5 episodes that Dr Dibbs left a lot of frilly lamps to go with the floral sofa. And even the paintings on the walls include a lot of florals and pretty landscapes. A lot of Martin's pictures were either museum prints or very rustic types of prints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All right you two, here's the big secret: If you click on someone's name on the forum, a list will appear. Click on public profile and you will read whatever info the person wants you to know. There's even room for a small profile picture! :)

Thank you very much Renee! So nice to not be left in the dark. :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Are you talking about the hutch (looks like it is built-in) directly across from the back door? If so, that's always been there ;) I looked at scene and didn't see anything new.

The desk in the back corner of the surgery was brought in by Dr Dibbs. In E1 it was closed up, but when Martin took over, he opened the front and put stuff in it. He really is into decor, isn't he? I have noticed, in watching S5 episodes that Dr Dibbs left a lot of frilly lamps to go with the floral sofa. And even the paintings on the walls include a lot of florals and pretty landscapes. A lot of Martin's pictures were either museum prints or very rustic types of prints.

Indeed, the hutch with plates was there in S4, E1, when he greets LG at the back door. But surely that's a little odd, if the story is that he packed up and moved and he doesn't have his original desk back but the hutch with all the plates and so on, still remains/is somehow returned?

In fact, at the end of S4 E7 when he is doing his lonely packing, you can clearly see him taking plates from the hutch to put in the box.

Oh well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Hello All - just started watching DM in the fall (2012) when it showed up on our local PBS station - along with Call the Midwife. By about 4 episodes I was clearly hooked and got all the DVDs. Then I found this forum and it makes rewatching so much more fun...I have gone back to many things I missed the first time.
    I rewatched S3E3 today (among others)- what is called City Slickers but on the US DVDs is called Love thy Neighbor - and I agree with many that Mrs Averill is a great character. I laugh out load everytime I watch when DM asks if she has traveled abroad and she replies that she went to Delabole. If she is ninety then she is my role model for when I get there.
    I look forward to future rehashing of all the nuances of the plot and characters and the infuriating habit of changes to the surgery and kitchen and other loctions with every season. Any one got a clue who has the fascination with sailboats? It is never mentioned and it so clearly is not ME.

Welcome dmbesotted! Interesting that our two new members both mentioned sailing ships in the decor. I have never really noticed that. I was looking at a couple of episodes today and did see a couple, but I figured anyone living right on the sea that way would have one or two lying about. I think the Asian influences in his decor are the strongest - and the most head scratching!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is a recurring theme. In the first episode in series 1 DM took the buddha out of the car(it had been strapped into the back seat with a seatbelt) which he obviously hadn't let the removalists move. Then we see them literally littering the set in every shot in the surgery for every series. (Thanks to shop girl's excellent sluthing. :)) In series 4 when he's leaving he straps the buddha into the back seat again and it plays a pivotal part in the final scenes.

Then in series 5 it is back in the back seat taking pride of place next to LG.

If it has no more significance than the onions it is a pretty elaborate game by the props guys. Which I know is not beyond them. :):):)

Just a slight correction cookie - Buddha was only strapped into the backseat one time (that we know of!). That was at the end of S4 - and of course he was still there when they drove home at the beginning of S5. In the very first episode we see Martin take him from a box and place him on the medical supplies counter while Bert is working on his sink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, the hutch with plates was there in S4, E1, when he greets LG at the back door. But surely that's a little odd, if the story is that he packed up and moved and he doesn't have his original desk back but the hutch with all the plates and so on, still remains/is somehow returned?

In fact, at the end of S4 E7 when he is doing his lonely packing, you can clearly see him taking plates from the hutch to put in the box.

Oh well.

I think the hutch is a built-in, so it would have stayed. I think all the stuff in the hutch belongs to Dr Dibbs. If you compare the stuff on it from earlier series and then S5, what is there in S5 appears to be much more organized and "sets" of things as opposed to various stuff that Martin had there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the hutch is a built-in, so it would have stayed. I think all the stuff in the hutch belongs to Dr Dibbs. If you compare the stuff on it from earlier series and then S5, what is there in S5 appears to be much more organized and "sets" of things as opposed to various stuff that Martin had there.

YEs, the S5 things look a bit more antiquey, maybe.

(OK, this is getting a little obsessive now.):eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a couple of requests for the link to my sets for our newbies. I have a new fun one that I have just started but takes a bit of time, so it will build out slowly. WARDROBE! I have just completed the first 3 episodes but you can see how much fun this will be. Not only am I getting a shot of what Martin & Louisa are wearing for each episode, but Martin's ties and shirts! These are a little tough to get sometimes because he is not always lit well (probably for dramatic reasons) so it is sometimes difficult to pick up the patterns in the ties and shirts. I was pretty surprised to see how many different patterned shirts he wears. Also, it will not really show up, but several of his suits have very light stripes or checks that you can sometimes glimpse in the sunlight.

For anyone new to my sets, there is a Locations set and a Locations Not Identified set that cover all 5 series. But I have recently been fleshing out the locations a bit more and I'm adding more sets - I will be deleting the 2 older files when I am done. There is a new set that has all the maps and the major sets that have never changed (Martin's Surgery, AJ's farm, Truro hospital, etc). Then I am building a Locations set for each Series. Series 1 is done and posted as its own set. You will see that there is more detail on most of the locations. I will continue to work on the additional locations sets and the wardrobes.

The other sets are for the different areas of Martin's consulting room and how the furnishings have changed. The kitchen one has a layout of the whole house and talks about the changes in the kitchen. Then there are sets for Buddha (the gold one), White Buddha, and the little Buddhas. Oh yeah! And two fun ones called "Patients" and "Doc & Dog"!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/sets
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a couple of requests for the link to my sets for our newbies. I have a new fun one that I have just started but takes a bit of time, so it will build out slowly. WARDROBE! I have just completed the first 3 episodes but you can see how much fun this will be. Not only am I getting a shot of what Martin & Louisa are wearing for each episode, but Martin's ties and shirts! These are a little tough to get sometimes because he is not always lit well (probably for dramatic reasons) so it is sometimes difficult to pick up the patterns in the ties and shirts. I was pretty surprised to see how many different patterned shirts he wears. Also, it will not really show up, but several of his suits have very light stripes or checks that you can sometimes glimpse in the sunlight.

For anyone new to my sets, there is a Locations set and a Locations Not Identified set that cover all 5 series. But I have recently been fleshing out the locations a bit more and I'm adding more sets - I will be deleting the 2 older files when I am done. There is a new set that has all the maps and the major sets that have never changed (Martin's Surgery, AJ's farm, Truro hospital, etc). Then I am building a Locations set for each Series. Series 1 is done and posted as its own set. You will see that there is more detail on most of the locations. I will continue to work on the additional locations sets and the wardrobes.

The other sets are for the different areas of Martin's consulting room and how the furnishings have changed. The kitchen one has a layout of the whole house and talks about the changes in the kitchen. Then there are sets for Buddha (the gold one), White Buddha, and the little Buddhas. Oh yeah! And two fun ones called "Patients" and "Doc & Dog"!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/sets

This is so impressive, Shopgirl. Thanks for reposting. Now I have it bookmarked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YEs, the S5 things look a bit more antiquey, maybe.

(OK, this is getting a little obsessive now.):eek:

Well, you ARE talking to Ms Obsessive! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For UK Obssessives :

MC is now doing voice-overs for a Which magazine supplement on lap-tops; aired on Channel 4

Oh those rounded, velvety, honeyed tones...

Just as well he isn't promoting time-shares or I would really be in trouble...
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome dmbesotted! Interesting that our two new members both mentioned sailing ships in the decor. I have never really noticed that. I was looking at a couple of episodes today and did see a couple, but I figured anyone living right on the sea that way would have one or two lying about. I think the Asian influences in his decor are the strongest - and the most head scratching!

Hello, Shopgirl.

Right in the entranceway to his home, the painting on the wall is a large mast sailing ship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

Well- In the front hall there is both a model ship and a picture of a ship - the model changes in various seasons and in the early part of season 2 there is occasionally no picture. There is also a ship on the shelf above the radiator near the back kitchen door -not always there however - and I think in some of the "kitchens" there are some photos or paintings which contain ships.

It would be interesting to know if the set designers really don't care if there is any continuity or if they make the changes purposely. I know that many interiors are shot in an outbuilding at Phil Pratts farm - there is a video of MC and PB showing that - but from their comments the sets are temporary. Then again, as has been mentioned, the writers, directors, and set people did not expect such as rabid group of DM fans as we are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The penguin was drawn for me by my best friend, it is an Adelie penguin or Manchot d'Adelie in French:D. She had it made into printed fabric then made me a beautiful set of pillowcases, a pair of shorts that I love wearing just to see peoples reaction to them and a comfy pair of jammies out of it.

I thought what would people try to read into my home if they were looking at it with the same 'eyes' as we are looking at the sets on DM? I asked myself if someone who saw all this and did not know me (or saw it as a set dressing as we are doing) what they would read into it and what would they assume about the owner? Would they see it as a collection of unconnected/semiconnected items gathered over a lifetime or if they would place symbolism onto the various items and try to place a 'theme' or meaning into it all? It was a slow, quiet night at work so I played that game for a couple hours after watching the Cotton Bowl. You can play, too, and see what you come up with if you wish. The following is a verbal 'picture' of my living

If you play the game I am going to guess that most of your assumptions will be wrong and items you might place great import on are insignificant and the insignificant ones are the most important. I wonder if I have done the same in trying to read symbolism into the set dressings on DM.

*The more you overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain.

I wish I could have a drawing of DM printed onto some shorts! :p
    I imagine if I were to see the inside of your guys houses, these are just a few items I might see: next to the tv; a DVD collection of Doc Martin, in the kitchen; a DM coffee cup, computer room; screen saver of Port Isaac, next to that maybe some paper dolls of Doc, Bert and Louisa, in the bedroom; a DM talking alarm clock. Hmmm, I wonder what I would make of this person? ;):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Edith - now there is a dilemma!!

DM writes her a POEM....OMG, how things have changed.
    Aunt Joan (Jill) obviously despises her - but why? Because she dumped Martin or for who she was? And she says that he brought her to Cornwall - another script inconsitency since at one point she says he hasn't been there for 30 years.
    And could she be any less concerned that Martin is about to be a father? She is so out to get him and be damned that little village girl.
    But what a great ending at the hotel. I did not doubt that DMs feeling for Louisa would prevail but he did not "pick up the knife and fork" as Mrs T says about Carrie Wilson. Right, good, mm. Well done Doc!
    But Edith does give us one really classic moment - and for me another LOL - when she gives DM the bag of blood and he faints.
This discussion has been closed.