Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder why its that cheap
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    40k is a bargain, it looks like a lovely place.
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Wonder why its that cheap

Probably not long left on the lease
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, 40K is only for the lease. Plus there's all the bad-will from the TV programme thrown in (Amanda didn't exactly come across well- and this reflects on the B&B).

Still, someone's going to get themselves a bargain...
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    Probably not long left on the lease
    Eight years, according to the blurb. Plus (though I'm not sure how leases work) it appears there's a rent to pay on the property of £1500 per month. If so, one has costs of around £23,000 per year before any profit can be made from the business.

Okay, the £1500 per month is also giving you somewhere nice and spacious to live - which is worth "a" sum if you choose to rent not buy; I've no idea what rental prices for a house that size in that area would be. Still, £23,000 pa is a heck of a fixed overhead.

So... bargain? I'm not sure. The sums don't appeal to me. Especially as on top of that there are all the expenses of running a business to a high standard - all the maintenance, updating of decor and furniture, costs of having guests (water, heating, lighting, laundry)...

Or to put it another way, if I had fixed outgoings of around £2000 a month, in a recession I wouldn't be looking at a 3-bed b&b to cover them and to give me sufficient income to live a comfortable life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Eight years, according to the blurb. Plus (though I'm not sure how leases work) it appears there's a rent to pay on the property of £1500 per month. If so, one has costs of around £23,000 per year before any profit can be made from the business.

Okay, the £1500 per month is also giving you somewhere nice and spacious to live - which is worth "a" sum if you choose to rent not buy; I've no idea what rental prices for a house that size in that area would be. Still, £23,000 pa is a heck of a fixed overhead.

So... bargain? I'm not sure. The sums don't appeal to me. Especially as on top of that there are all the expenses of running a business to a high standard - all the maintenance, updating of decor and furniture, costs of having guests (water, heating, lighting, laundry)...

Or to put it another way, if I had fixed outgoings of around £2000 a month, in a recession I wouldn't be looking at a 3-bed b&b to cover them and to give me sufficient income to live a comfortable life.

Good points.

However, the £40K plus £1500 per month has to be balanced against the potential start-up costs of opening a new B&B from scratch, as well as the time (and expenditure) involved in setting up and establishing a new business.

Borrowby Mill is already established and presumably comes with an existing clientele base. The B&B has mostly very good/excellent ratings on Tripadvisor and it seems to be a pleasant establishment (even if its owner wasn't). I presume (Four in a Bed episode aside) the B&B has a reasonable whack of good will attached - all of which you're getting for your £40K plus £1500 per month.

Going by the existing prices, and assuming an occupancy rate of between 60-70%, it *could* be possible to make a profit after expenditure - though perhaps not a great profit.

So, for somebody who was thinking about running a B&B, but didn't want the financial commitment of buying a place, Borrowby Mill could be worth considering...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    However, the £40K plus £1500 per month has to be balanced against the potential start-up costs of opening a new B&B from scratch...
    Was all the b&b furniture, bedding, towels, etc included in the price? I'd be surprised if it was - lease and rent figures won't include contents. So those costs will be on top of lease and rent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was all the b&b furniture, bedding, towels, etc included in the price? I'd be surprised if it was - lease and rent figures won't include contents. So those costs will be on top of lease and rent.

It didn't state if the lease was furnished or unfurnished. I would assume furnished, as I get the impression the B&B is to be leased 'as seen'. However, the contents may come under the £40K.
  • FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The agent's website says no.
    The contents are not included in the price but could be negotiated if sold as a going concern.
    http://www.jrhopper.com/full-details?profileID=100315001162
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Jenny woman was awful this week. Hasn't she learnt any basic customer care skills?

Who would stay in her dusty, poky B&B?
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Jenny woman was awful this week. Hasn't she learnt any basic customer care skills?

Who would stay in her dusty, poky B&B?

What an utterly overbearing and stupid woman.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Ed and his wife are so annoying :mad: and I think a tad jealous :yawn:

I have read Ruth's Dugdall books and they are brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on 4IAB?
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Any news on 4IAB?

I'm still waiting for Coach Trip! ..... Haaaaated that spin off one, watched one programme and it was :eek::eek: :sleep: ...

I know Four in a Bed will be returning soon, as the B&B we stayed in on the Isle of Wight were approached to take part! Our hostess said no, but the B&B over the road DID take part ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for Coach Trip! ..... Haaaaated that spin off one, watched one programme and it was :eek::eek: :sleep: ...

I know Four in a Bed will be returning soon, as the B&B we stayed in on the Isle of Wight were approached to take part! Our hostess said no, but the B&B over the road DID take part ;)

Thanks. :):):)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brand new Four In A Bed starts on Monday :D

Finally
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Finally

Hooray!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the same group of saddos as before. Game playing and nit picking. Trying to pick fault when there is none.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, wonder if they will have tweaked it at all? they seem to do that each series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Brilliant, wonder if they will have tweaked it at all? they seem to do that each series

Doesn't look like it from the trailer.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right thanks :)

My only gripe with it is I wish they would read more of the feedback forms as quite often it looks like a lot more has been written.
    I'd rather that than the continual repeating what is going to happen after the break and then repeating again after the break :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Oh right thanks :)

My only gripe with it is I wish they would read more of the feedback forms as quite often it looks like a lot more has been written.
    I'd rather that than the continual repeating what is going to happen after the break and then repeating again after the break :mad:

All these types of shows are like that these days unfortunately. They think everyone has the attention span of a goldfish like them.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    On the Gogglebox threrad, someone has said Dom and Steph are selling their B&B (The Salutation). It's £2.5 million.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodie !
    lea_uk wrote: »
    On the Gogglebox threrad, someone has said Dom and Steph are selling their B&B (The Salutation). It's £2.5 million.
    They aren't the first to use 4iaB as a way of marketing their property.
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I have read Ruth's Dugdall books and they are brilliant.
    So have I. The Woman Before, I think it was, was particularly good. I guessed the end but that really didn't matter because the story was so well written.

See y'all next week. :)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad it's returning. :)

Some of the publications are saying this is series 5, and some are saying it's series 8. :confused:

Either way, I am glad it's returning. 4IAB is a guilty pleasure. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.