Anyone Else Hate 02?!!

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm really hating them at the moment. I live in North London, but the signal on my iPhone is terrible. My contract was up in January, and I'm tempted to switch the the iPhone 5. Been with 02 for about 8 years though so don't really want to have to do it, but think I'm going to have to make the switch to maybe Orange or 3.

Comments

• The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Don't hate them but from my experience they have poor 3G coverage unless very much in an inner city area and the 3G they do have has poor speeds, mostly at peak times. They do however have excellent customer service and 2G coverage.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't hate them but from my experience they have poor 3G coverage unless very much in an inner city area and the 3G they do have has poor speeds, mostly at peak times. They do however have excellent customer service and 2G coverage.

They may have good 2g voice coverage but the voice quality is the worst I have ever heard. They must use a really poor quality codec.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Vodafone are just as bad if not worse
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    paulker wrote: »
    They may have good 2g voice coverage but the voice quality is the worst I have ever heard. They must use a really poor quality codec.

Have to agree on this. The quality is absolutely terrible. I thought it was just me till i switched to a 3 sim and the quality was so much better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Have to agree on this. The quality is absolutely terrible. I thought it was just me till i switched to a 3 sim and the quality was so much better.

On the odd occassion HD voice works for me it is amazing. EE voice quality is fine normally but HD voice is in a different league.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

It seems to be the transmission which is the main culprit so the person you are calling gets the raw end of the deal. When I answer the phone at work I can often tell the customer has an o2 phone.
    Forum Member
    Been awhile since I've actually made a call on O2 ( usually only data ) but Christ I see what you mean. O2 to O2 is even worse... Sounds like both are using hands free loudspeaker to chat.

HD voice is great, just a shame it doesn't improve call quality to landline numbers.
  • in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    The company I work for has recently swapped to o2 because of cheaper data but the coverage is abysmal. The coverage map is a joke as the areas I know where the signal is iffy is shown as "Good indoors and outdoors"

When ringing the office for my service calls its not unusual to be on hold for 10 or more minutes, doing this while driving (hands free) is just a waste of time as there are so many dead spots you have to constantly redial and of course you are at the back of the queue.

At my home no 3G signal just GPRS and every day even this will disappear for several minutes.

Totally agree with the audio quality, full of glitching and dropouts even in high signal areas. The companies infrastructure is a joke. Avoid like the plague if it's your own money.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in_focus wrote: »
    The company I work for has recently swapped to o2 because of cheaper data but the coverage is abysmal. The coverage map is a joke as the areas I know where the signal is iffy is shown as "Good indoors and outdoors"

When ringing the office for my service calls its not unusual to be on hold for 10 or more minutes, doing this while driving (hands free) is just a waste of time as there are so many dead spots you have to constantly redial and of course you are at the back of the queue.

At my home no 3G signal just GPRS and every day even this will disappear for several minutes.

Totally agree with the audio quality, full of glitching and dropouts even in high signal areas. The companies infrastructure is a joke. Avoid like the plague if it's your own money.

(o2 customer for 10 years) the orange bit on the map that say 'outdoors' meant that there was NO coverage, this is true in so many location around here, and not just on my phone, there is at least a 10 mile stretch of road on the A5 with outdoors only - with no coverage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been awhile since I've actually made a call on O2 ( usually only data ) but Christ I see what you mean. O2 to O2 is even worse... Sounds like both are using hands free loudspeaker to chat.

HD voice is great, just a shame it doesn't improve call quality to landline numbers.

If you want a laugh try bluetooth car kit to bluetooth car kit on o2 driving at 70mph. If I am 100% fair about it the call quality is sometimes acceptable when my dear uncle on o2 calls me but I suppose it depends on how congested the network is at the time.

With regard to HD voice both my wife and me have iphone 5's which are HD voice phones. Both of us are on EE and even if we both have 3g HD voice rarely kicks in. I have experienced it on several calls to various people. I just wish it was more consistent.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    o2 reception does tend to be pretty bad apart from in central London
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problems with o2. I find the price I pay for my mobile phone service combined with my discounted broadband service with the quality of service to be excellent.
    Ok sometimes, I get "call failed" sometimes texts take awhile to be delivered, sometimes I have to resend the text, but nothing enought for me to get mad.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to wonder why they are the most popular single network in the UK if users are reporting poor 3G, poor 2G call quality, poor data etc.

Why do so many choose and stay with O2 then? Unless of course this forum isn't representative and is more technology wise than the general population.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    paulker wrote: »
    If you want a laugh try bluetooth car kit to bluetooth car kit on o2 driving at 70mph. If I am 100% fair about it the call quality is sometimes acceptable when my dear uncle on o2 calls me but I suppose it depends on how congested the network is at the time.

With regard to HD voice both my wife and me have iphone 5's which are HD voice phones. Both of us are on EE and even if we both have 3g HD voice rarely kicks in. I have experienced it on several calls to various people. I just wish it was more consistent.

Is HD supposed to be on the whole network now or Just Orange masts? Ive never experienced it either but a friend now has an iphone 5 on Orange so maybe it'll work. Does it work across the brands, like Orange to EE4G for example?
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    You have to wonder why they are the most popular single network in the UK if users are reporting poor 3G, poor 2G call quality, poor data etc.

Why do so many choose and stay with O2 then? Unless of course this forum isn't representative and is more technology wise than the general population.

I think it's about general coverage (2G) rather than quality. What's better than no signal? A crap quality signal!
    Also as Lucan says the CS is good.
    My first iPhone was a 3Gs bought from eBay. It was locked to O2. I had to put an O2 PAYG sim in it and go on their site, enter the details and wait for it to be unlocked.
    I had several issues along the way so had to call them and even though I wasn't a proper customer (and was trying to unlock a handset) they were extremely helpful and got it sorted! I did find that very good.
    Having said that, I'm now with EE Business (to get a signal box) and I have to say the CS is exemplary so far.
    Forum Member
    Devon HD Voice works between EE & Orange, Orange to Orange and So I assume Orange/EE & T-Mobile too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    The 2g kit that o2 use can have 'half rate' enabled. It would turn a 1 carrier site that could handle 6 calls into a site that could handle 12 at any one time (assuming no GPRS). It would decrease the call quality though.

Im told that they used to do this in the Highlands or more remote sites... maybe those that had little traffic during the week but a increase at weekends... tourism etc. Pointless paying for an extra carrier to not be used 5 days a week?

Nothing stopping them using this everywhere is there? Maybe thats what they are doing and hence why the poorer call quality on 2g.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomo1971 wrote: »
    The 2g kit that o2 use can have 'half rate' enabled. It would turn a 1 carrier site that could handle 6 calls into a site that could handle 12 at any one time (assuming no GPRS). It would decrease the call quality though.

Im told that they used to do this in the Highlands or more remote sites... maybe those that had little traffic during the week but a increase at weekends... tourism etc. Pointless paying for an extra carrier to not be used 5 days a week?

Nothing stopping them using this everywhere is there? Maybe thats what they are doing and hence why the poorer call quality on 2g.

3g voice is poor too but yes I think 2g is worse.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tfl wrote: »
    Vodafone are just as bad if not worse

I find Vodafone better tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I find Vodafone better tbh.

Agree, vodafone voice quality is far superior to o2 but not as good as EE or 3
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a good idea..... a thread for O2 haters!

Hopefully they can populate this with their venom rather than infecting other threads with it continually!

Well done to the OP for a worthwhile addition!
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hopefully they can populate this with their venom rather than infecting other threads with it continually!

Quite. How dare O2's customers criticise O2's shoddy service and support.

We should only speak of the most revered network in ways that suit wavejockglw.
    Forum Member

All this ^ from someone who uses Three because his local O2 is crap..

..And all that from the person who continually bashes Three/EE...
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this ^ from someone who uses Three because his local O2 is crap..

..And all that from the person who continually bashes Three/EE...

Quite, how dare people post an opinion against that of Wavejock. The phrase venom is very over used now.

At least some here can appreciate that a company can be good in some ways and not in others, or do good things and things that are perceived as bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on O2 and it's a terrible for internet connection. I can barely use my phone at work as the reception is poor. It's pretty useless much of the time.
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 is a great network but I left for Giffgaff to save money. Can't fault O2 or Giffgaff to be honest.