Ragdoll Cats

124»

Comments

• TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    husted wrote: »
    You said:

The reason why breeders in Britain are trying to breed out some of the docile behaviour, is they think it's better for the typical Ragdoll to be be able to defend themselves and therefore cope outside. It's not indoor behaviour that's the problem.

As we know, in the US they are happy to keep Ragdolls inside- reflecting their general attitude to indoor cats. In Britain more people outdoor (free roaming) cats.

So I know you want to stick up for Ragdolls, but the reality is the Ragdoll breed really is quite soppy and this is why some breeders are trying to change things.

You said it in your own words.

yes in my own words a summation of what i have heard happened and why, which i linked is stated in wiki that is all but yet you continue to argue.

As for the americans yes they are happy to keep cats indoors because most of the time they declaw them and in most stated it is illegal to let them out things are different in britain and people have the liberty to choose whether to have their cats in or out no matter what the breed whether you like it or not some ragdolls are more than capable of going outdoors and acting like cats they are not all going to go limp and throw themselves under a car or into a dogs mouth or be savaged by squirrels
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    yes in my own words a summation of what i have heard happened and why, which i linked is stated in wiki that is all but yet you continue to argue.

As for the americans yes they are happy to keep cats indoors because most of the time they declaw them and in most stated it is illegal to let them out things are different in britain and people have the liberty to choose whether to have their cats in or out no matter what the breed whether you like it or not some ragdolls are more than capable of going outdoors and acting like cats they are not all going to go limp and throw themselves under a car or into a dogs mouth or be savaged by squirrels

Of course some Ragdolls do get out and about and can defend themselves. I never questioned that.

So we are agreed. :)
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Can we have a picture yet OP? We always like pictures of cats!

Here's my raggy:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/sadmuppet_photos/DSCF0168.jpg

Awww lovely. What an intelligent look!
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    What do you think gentle and docile means? You agree they are docile but still think they are just as able defend themselves just as well? Nope. Typically they dont. Mine would whine at a big dog.

So that's the problem. They don't defend themselves. And that's why breeders are experimenting.Limpness itself is no problem.

I don't know any reputable breeder who would give a Ragdoll kitten to someone wanting an outdoor cat.

You don't like it when people have a go at Ragdoll owners for keeping their cats indoors against their will. I can understand that and I have some sympathy for the view that they are too soppy for their own good.

But in the right environment they thrive. They are great companions because they are keen to please. Ideal for pet therapy. They love people and big floppy Ragdolls are great for a cuddle. A real shame if that was lost.

Anyway, this is my big dope. Just before I kick him off the bed:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/bertieonhisback2.jpg

Eyes open here:
    http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/vlcsnap-2012-04-01-16h57m45s98.png

My girl is certainly not shy:
    http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/SAM_1530.jpg

Until she was 10 months old she used to suckle my male cat. Lots of lickness and wetness on his chest. He didn't like it and often moved away but never kicked her away. No aggression.

Usual result was they fell asleep together:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/SAM_1426.jpg
    TWS wrote: »
    027.jpg

my girl - seal point

014-1.jpg

her mum - tabby

018-2.jpg

her nan and great gran - both blues

Sorry for the double post, I hadn't seen these othctures. All gorgeous cats!
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the lovely pictures of your ragdoll cats. My son is going to take some pictures of mine and I will post them when I have put them on my computer and then you can tell me if you think he has ragdoll in him. I am still letting him out but I stay in the garden with him to make sure he doesn't get hurt etc because he is still only a young cat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    what no pictures yet? shocker.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    what no pictures yet? shocker.

Didn't you hear, her last computer unfortunately blew up, so she has no pictures until her son takes some more, which she is waiting for him to do. Convenient huh?
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    We have a ragdoll girl and the breeder laughed when we picked her up saying she was not typical. A wild one, she said. And so it has been, a feisty bundle of white fluff who terrorises our garden but who flops in our arms like a baby.
    Love her, wouldn't change her for the world.
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have a ragdoll cross called Mac (he's 11 months old) and he is definitely feisty, he attacked my 2 female cats almost non stop for the first few months we had him, he still goes into attack mode now but a lot less often....he could definitely hold his own but he can also be loving and gentle and he loves to see the world upside down flopped in our arms.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177416@N04/8412710952/in/photostream

those of you who have ragdolls are they noisy? Mac makes strange little squeaky noises when hes playing but hes never once meowed, hes the quietest cat ive ever met and the vet said its typical of ragdolls but ive read they can be very vocal...
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    i have a ragdoll cross called Mac (he's 11 months old) and he is definitely feisty, he attacked my 2 female cats almost non stop for the first few months we had him, he still goes into attack mode now but a lot less often....he could definitely hold his own but he can also be loving and gentle and he loves to see the world upside down flopped in our arms.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177416@N04/8412710952/in/photostream

those of you who have ragdolls are they noisy? Mac makes strange little squeaky noises when hes playing but hes never once meowed, hes the quietest cat ive ever met and the vet said its typical of ragdolls but ive read they can be very vocal...

mine is extremely vocal all the time does your head in she is worse than my kids
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know there are 2 threads but I felt like starting a new one because of all the trolling on this one.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    Yes I know there are 2 threads but I felt like starting a new one because of all the trolling on this one.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Lost_Soul wrote: »

Mine has a range of noises - she chirrups and squeaks when she's happy and greeting you but has a horrible yowl when she's unhappy. When she can't get into the bedroom is a good example - she'll whinge for ages at the top of her voice!

One of her hobbies is to go into the bathroom, sit on the toilet cistern and yell at the wall! :confused: To each their own I suppose! :D