Sally Bercow ordered to pay £15,000 for libellous tweet.

i4ui4u Posts: 54,809
Forum Member
Sally Bercow banged to rights, her lack of common sense and false denials over a tweet is said to have left her 'substantially out of pocket’.
Sally Bercow was castigated for lacking ‘common sense’ as she finally apologised for libelling Lord McAlpine yesterday.

The Speaker’s wife issued a grovelling apology to the Tory peer at the High Court to draw a line under her comments on Twitter.

The 43-year-old agreed to pay £15,000 in damages, which will be donated to the Chelsea Pensioners, and has been left with a six-figure legal bill.
The settlement was agreed at court yesterday, with Mrs Bercow apologising. Speaking on her behalf, William McCormick QC, said: ‘Mrs Bercow withdraws the allegation she made on Twitter unreservedly, and apologies sincerely to Lord McAlpine for the great damage and distress which her tweeting caused him.

‘Mrs Bercow wishes and hopes that as a result of this matter other Twitter users will behave more responsibly in how they use that platform. She certainly intends to do so herself.’

Lord McAlpine’s solicitor, Andrew Reid, said his client offered to settle in January ‘in an attempt to avoid the detrimental effect of litigation on his health’.

However, Mrs Bercow ‘was not prepared at the relevant time to avail herself of this reasonable offer’.

Comments

• i4ui4u Posts: 54,809
    Forum Member
    My understanding is Ms Bercow who lives a luxuary lifestyle at taxpayers expense has settled the matter out of court.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad the money went to a good cause.

Maybe she will think twice before spouting off in future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compulsive attention seeker pays £15,000 for one years worth of high profile attention.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinistra wrote: »
    Compulsive attention seeker pays £15,000 for one years worth of high profile attention.

Don't forget her 6 figure legal bill.... I'm not so sure she will think it was worth the cost.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrendous woman caught out for once.

I expect she doesn't really give a damn, but finally had to concede some responsibility on the advice of her lawyers before she dropped herself even further in it.

Perhaps she will think twice before shooting her mouth off in future, but somehow I very much doubt it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did any off you actually read what Sally tweeted? It was nothing compared to some of the tweets flying around in those few days. She has been made an example of because of who she is.
    Forum Member
    Did any off you actually read what Sally tweeted? It was nothing compared to some of the tweets flying around in those few days. She has been made an example of because of who she is.

She was doing a 'nudge nudge, wink wink' over the myth someone being a paedophile, while presenting herself as the champion of the underdog. Well the bitch got owned.

This is the attention seeking wife of the Speaker of the House of Commons, so she's well connected politically. Whose followers may well think she has inside info.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ‘Why is Lord McAlpine trending? *Innocent face*’

How exactly is this saying that he was the one? What's the meaning of 'trending'?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    How exactly is this saying that he was the one? What's the meaning of 'trending'?

'trending' means that multiple twitter users are all referring to the same thing, in this case McAlpine. The clear implication here is that there's no smoke without fire.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    She was doing a 'nudge nudge, wink wink' over the myth someone being a paedophile, while presenting herself as the champion of the underdog. Well the bitch got owned.

This is the attention seeking wife of the Speaker of the House of Commons, so she's well connected politically. Whose followers may well think she has inside info.

^^^^^^^^^^
    This :D She is a prolific Tweeter with a large number of followers.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member

I rather like old Sally, she certainly doesnt kow tow to the political stuffed shirts in Westminster.

She says, it is her husbands job, not hers and she has her own opinions and states them.

I do think she has a side to her which needs to be reigned in a bit as she has obviously made enemies in the political and newspaper circles as they slate her endlessly and relish when she does something contraversial.

On the other hand, she does go out of her way to bring things down on herself, but all in all I think she is OK.
    Forum Member
    My understanding is Ms Bercow who lives a luxuary lifestyle at taxpayers expense has settled the matter out of court.

She has little choice but to reside in the building her husbands job entails, it comes with the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    What did she say?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did she say?

5 posts above yours ..
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    She has little choice but to reside in the building her husbands job entails, it comes with the job.

She has massive choice, is there a law that forces the Bercows to live in luxuary above the shop?
    Until 2008/09 Bercow usually claimed the maximum available amount for the 'Additional Costs Allowance' to pay for the cost of staying away from his main home.

During the 2009 parliamentary expenses scandal, it was revealed that Bercow changed the designation of his second home on more than one occasion – meaning that he avoided paying capital gains tax on the sale of two properties.
    Within weeks of taking office as Speaker, Bercow ordered a redecoration and refurbishment of the Speaker's grace and favour apartment in the Palace of Westminster, buying a large television and a DVD player; the work cost £20,659 and was paid for by Parliament

The apartment has at least 4 bedrooms one of which is for the nanny. Over £3000 spent on chid proofing, convert a study into a playroom £2000, kitchen provide large clock £80, planters on terrace for child safety £3880.

Of course poor old Sally had nothing to do with this and did not benefit, it was all beyond her control she was unable to stop the money being spent. I feel her pain as do her children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I rather like old Sally, she certainly doesnt kow tow to the political stuffed shirts in Westminster.

She says, it is her husbands job, not hers and she has her own opinions and states them.

I do think she has a side to her which needs to be reigned in a bit as she has obviously made enemies in the political and newspaper circles as they slate her endlessly and relish when she does something contraversial.

On the other hand, she does go out of her way to bring things down on herself, but all in all I think she is OK.

As far as some go, I'd say it's because she votes Labour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has massive choice, is there a law that forces the Bercows to live in luxuary above the shop?

The apartment has at least 4 bedrooms one of which is for the nanny. Over £3000 spent on chid proofing, convert a study into a playroom £2000, kitchen provide large clock £80, planters on terrace for child safety £3880.

Of course poor old Sally had nothing to do with this and did not benefit, it was all beyond her control she was unable to stop the money being spent. I feel her pain as do her children.

I'll never understand why politicians claim such big amounts for things. They must have a load in the Bank. If they're not going to use it, why bother working for pay? It smacks to me of greed!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Not only votes for Labour but she stood as a Labour candidate for Westminster Council in 2010
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very much so.

And most Tory MPs dislike John Bercow.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ridiculous woman knew EXACTLY what she was doing when she posted her little tweet, so I'm glad to see her punished. I'm just sorry she won't actually miss the money or truly feel in any way hard-done by.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the *innocent face* at the end of the tweet which really shows her up. How pathetically immature.

But Twitter does seem to turn people into childish halfwits with no ability to consider the consequences of their actions.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very much so.

They feel that he's biased against them

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2476131/Tory-fury-Bercow-bias-Speakers-hatred-contempt-Cameron-gone-far-say-MPs.html
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

I do not care for him at all, a supercilious little man, but I think/hope Sally will not let him get away with that at home.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ridiculous woman knew EXACTLY what she was doing when she posted her little tweet, so I'm glad to see her punished. I'm just sorry she won't actually miss the money or truly feel in any way hard-done by.

Absolutely. She got so caught up in her own importance, thought she was so clever but then didn't have the intelligence to take ownership and responsibility when the shit hit the fan. Had she just put her hands up and said mea culpa at the time, and apologised, I'm pretty sure McA's lawyers would have not come after her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much so.

Probably because either his wife probably votes Labour, or they both do.