Samsung SMT - S7800 Freesat PVR 1080P

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Freesat box have you tried playing with the audio out options under Setup / Sound / "Dolby Digital DTS" and "Digital Volume Control"?

Also as a test, if the TV has a legacy SCART socket you could try hooking the box up using that rather than HDMI
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    @Automan

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the audio settings as you described, still to no avail (I did not try SCART as I want to use HDMI).

I got on to Tesco where we purchased the TV from, they sent an engineer out who was just as baffled as me, he ended up taking both SMT-S7800 and TV back to his workshop, so hopefully I'll have an answer soon.

The only issue that I can forsee is that it can't be resolved and both Richer Sounds and Tesco will say the other is at fault.

I suppose the saving grace is that both devices are Samsung, so ultimately, Samsung are responsible to bring this to an amicable outcome.

Thanks again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I have BT Infinity broadband. They say BT Sport will work on a sky box (with viewing card but no sky subscription needed) so will it work on our Samsung? The Samsung has a (little known) card slot and ethernet port...
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derekb1 wrote: »
    I have BT Infinity broadband. They say BT Sport will work on a sky box (with viewing card but no sky subscription needed) so will it work on our Samsung? The Samsung has a (little known) card slot and ethernet port...

No the card slot is useless for the NDS encryption used by Sky and BT.
    Forum Member
    oh bugger. any other ideas to get it on my TV rather than laptop / tablet / phone?

As a BT Infinity customer I apparently get it for "free" but don't really want extra hardware...
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derekb1 wrote: »
    oh bugger. any other ideas to get it on my TV rather than laptop / tablet / phone?

As a BT Infinity customer I apparently get it for "free" but don't really want extra hardware...

Sky digibox with FreesatFromSky card or BT TV.
  • Makum101Makum101 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    The trax tri-link combines a modulator and a magic eye demodulator and infra red transmitter so would allow you to do both.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRI-LINK-Control-Freesat-Freeview-around/dp/B002R634DU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369213560&sr=8-3&keywords=triax+tv+link
    Does this device work with existing magic eye's? Ive got one in every room from when I had a sky box.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makum101 wrote: »
    Does this device work with existing magic eye's? Ive got one in every room from when I had a sky box.

Yes it should do. It's basically a replacement for the Sky box UHF modulator, the 9V power supply for the eyes and it's built in remote control signal VHF de-modulator. The remote control demodulator turns the VHF control signals sent back down the cable back into IR and transmits these as if you were pressing the remote control buttons locally.

You can comtinue to use a Sky box as well if you wish as the unit will pass on the control signals to it in the usual way.
  • stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Response from Samsung Support
    Thank you for contacting Samsung online technical support.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue with viewing the guide while watching a recorded programme and I can understand how frustrating this can be when you want to do this.

Unfortunately it cannot be done and there are no present plans to change this.
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to use the iplayer feature on the SMT S7800.

I have plugged samsung box into my BT home hub 3 direct ethernet cable connection but can not get it to play ball.

Laptop seems OK on the end of the same cable so assume Hub is working?

Samsung has very limited configuration options, I select automatic network setting and press enter... its says "please wait" and then "network is not configured correctly"

- any ideas gratefully received...
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check that the cable isn't a crossover type. Put the two plugs on the ends side by side. The colours should match up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    hi
    i know you are trying to watch over a network but doesn't the box tune in on sat ipayer and itv player and put them in one of the favoutites called on demand.
    cheers
    Forum Member
    edEx - many thanks for reply - got me thinking so tried a cross over and a non cross over with no joy / difference between the two. As an experiment I connected my laptop directly to the box via ethernet cable (i realise they wouldn't "talk" to other) to see if any lights on the laptop's ethernet card filckered. Non did. Absolutely nothing. Tried the same thing to the Samsung DVD player's ethernet card and lights did indeed flicker so could be the card in the Sat Box is faulty. Anyone know of any diagnostics or hidden menus to try?

Cayan - Yes the "channels" do appear in the guide under On Demand but you have to access them over ethernet through your broadband connection. There is no access over the sat signal...
  • Mr_RobMr_Rob Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone got the on 4 all code for it? (urc7960)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Need help, lost most of the library last night, I have tried doing a system reset and this does not bring it back. Always did in the past. The hdd is showing 34% space left so they they still there somewhere, will also send a email to Samsung but my box is 3 years old so not expecting much. Thank you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Was thinking of getting one of these boxes but reading the reviews im not sure. I have a samsung smart tv and wanted one of these to go with it. Have most of the bugs been fixed?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    ! suggest not basing your choice of PVR just because it has the same badge as your TV.
  • IvesyIvesy Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I've replaced the remote control but I'm having trouble getting it to control the TV. The instructions say press and hold TV for 5 seconds until it flashes. Problem is it doesn't flash!

I've tried continuing the procedure without the flash but no joy. Weirdly using the old one gets the same result. The old one still controls the TV i'm assuming as it's remembered the code i originally put in.
    Just a shame since the batteries leaked inside the old remote it doesnt control the PVR.

Any ideas?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem to me...

I go into "On Demand" and select 901 Iplayer (no programs are listed in the guide)

I try to select, Iplayer Logo appears and then says that there is no network connection. Checking the network connection settings menu and everything is there using automatic settings.

Sometimes it will, after trying various ways into the menu, go to the BBC iPlayer screen and run perfectly. It can take 30 mins or more to get there but other times it will fail for so long I have to give up.

I've tried powering down the box and then having another try but normally to no avail.

Any thoughts as it is being a bit of a pain. I don't really want to think of replacing the box but it does have a few lockups.

Cheers

Phil
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Ivesy wrote: »
    I've replaced the remote control but I'm having trouble getting it to control the TV. The instructions say press and hold TV for 5 seconds until it flashes.
    Just bought one of these on ebay after my 6 year old Foxsat died.
    A bit late for you, but...
    The TV button to be pressed is the one in the middle which puts remote into TV mode.
    TV at the top is just on/off for the TV
    You may have found that the reason the remote didn't control the S7800 was that it was switched to TV and not STB
    btw the S7800 will "record" a programme in the buffer, somwthing I've not seen sice my Topfield.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WillS wrote: »
    Just bought one of these on ebay after my 6 year old Foxsat died.
    A bit late for you, but...
    The TV button to be pressed is the one in the middle which puts remote into TV mode.
    TV at the top is just on/off for the TV
    You may have found that the reason the remote didn't control the S7800 was that it was switched to TV and not STB
    btw the S7800 will "record" a programme in the buffer, somwthing I've not seen sice my Topfield.

All the freetime units will record from the buffer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi guys,

I've dug my box out after ending my sky subscription, I've also got a Samsung sound-bar (hw-f350) that I was hoping to control with the remote. I assumed that as they were both Samsung it would be easy, it's fair to say I was wrong. Has anyone managed to control a sound-bar with the STB remote?

Also is the CI+ slot on the side any use for anything?
  • gsmithedwgsmithedw Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It's a shame this box was discontinued. Ours is still heavily used daily for the past 5 years.
    It's EPG design is still very nice and still looks modern. It's a twin tuner but it's a clever system - it can sometimes grab third programs by understanding how channels are multiplexed and grab missed recordings where there had been some mishap like a cable unplugged or power outage etc.

The media functions were never very good. And the remote is sluggish and cumbersome and compatability with other Samsung products surprisingly poor. No way to enter Library if you use HDMI-CEC from a Samsung TV remote is slightly irritating. It also doesn't work with any standard or custom remote for Slingbox which has been a bit of a bugbear for me when using the box remotely.

Those things aside it's very good - picture has been great @ 1080P. I see a lot of the newer Humax models have dropped the front LED display which is a shame as often we're using other sources like Roku and its handy to see the front of the satellite box to see what channel its on or if it's currently recording.

500GB seems small amongst the 2TB models around now but I don't find we need more. Anything that sits in the library longer than a few days generally falls into "will probably never be watched" and ends up being deleted anyway.

As ours has become older we've had a few problems with it randomly rebooting now and again. Sometimes it goes nuts and won't series link or missed recordings for no good reason. But for that it's just a matter of resetting the box. Recordings in the library survive this which is a nice design. Timers set don't persist but we just re-add those.
    Not sure what causes the occasional random rebooting - i had suspected spikes in the power input from the mains or something triggered over the ethernet cable but could be something more serious like power supply or main board etc.

I'll try and eek another few months out of this - it owes me nothing at this stage. I've read some people have replaced dying hard drives as the operating system is re-written by firmware to a replacement drive there's no need to copy boot data etc. I read on some forum it's bog standard Linux ext2 filesystem or somesuch that the box writes to.

I'd be curious to read of anybody else's experiences of the SMT-S7800 in its elder years and whether they have done "surgery" on theirs to keep it running. The main thing I think I lack is "Freetime", other than that I've not much incentive to replace mine with any of the newer models around currently.
  • Roy_HRoy_H Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Yep, I'm currently watching C4HD on mine. Always thought picture quality was excellent especially on HD. Response to remote very fast and I love the picture-in-picture on the guide.
    Recording from the buffer is a great asset.
    Only problem I've had is a regular lock-up when starting a recorded programme. Not every time but enough to be annoying.
    Has anyone added a larger HDD ?
    Not looking forward to finding a replacement when the time finally comes :(
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Roy_H wrote: »
    Yep, I'm currently watching C4HD on mine. Always thought picture quality was excellent especially on HD. Response to remote very fast and I love the picture-in-picture on the guide.
    Recording from the buffer is a great asset.
    Only problem I've had is a regular lock-up when starting a recorded programme. Not every time but enough to be annoying.
    Has anyone added a larger HDD ?
    Not looking forward to finding a replacement when the time finally comes :(

Once you used a Humax G2 Freesat box you'll wonder why on earth you stuck with the sammy so long. :)