free antivirus programmes with firewall

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I discovered recently that the free AVG anti-virus does not come with a firewall and to activate it costs £35. Therefore I was wondering if the free version of Avast or any of the other major free anti-virus programmes come with a firewall.

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a firewall in windows. make sure it is on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comodo firewall is free and excellent. and includes views of processes and connections etc. u can see exactly what is happening. also incluudesa sandbox. but just after installation can be irritating as it asks you to ok stuff ......
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have vista, 7 or 8 then windows firewall should be strong enough combined with the hardware firewall in your router.

But as you want a free security software suite that includes both antivirus & firewall try Comodo Internet Security ... comes in 32 & 64 bit versions ... the new version 6 of it is coming very soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    true but i've been having problems with it and I'm not sure if it is working as it says that the "network firewall" is either switched off or set up incorrectly." I ran a test using www.shieldcheck.com and that tells me I have a functioning and working firewall but I'm still not convinced as I don't want to think that I am running the internet without a functioning firewall.

I have Windows 7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently the commodo antivrus not brilliant. so install just the firewall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comodo firewall is extremely comprehensive. and can be intimidating. just use their default suggested setup. then as after install it keeps asking "do you want this programme to ..... ?" just keep hitting "yes" , together with "remember this answer" if you are quite sure .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does free Avast come with a firewall as from what I've researched I'm not sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comodo is irritating just after 1st install. but it DOES give you control of your computer. instead of accepting somebody's default list of ok software
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id stick to avg with comodo firewall. both "best performing" freeware.

if feeling paranoid u can also install Drive Sentry.

there are lists of best freeware at Techsupportalert . this gives reviews of top freeware anti malware programs ....... mentions good and bad points for each one .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... also add superantispyware. remove it from the startup list in system configuration then just run it occasionally to catch the odd bit of spyware avg might have missed ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... there are articles at techsupportalert suggesting the best freeware combo for optimum protection ......
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on my own computer I have comodo internet security & malwarebytes (paid version)
    used to have free version of avast combined with windows firewall .. but that combo didn't seem to like my win7 64bit configuration ... so I switched
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have checked and avast does not come with a firewall.
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comodo Internet Security Premium is a free package which includes the best free firewall. The Comodo antivirus (also included) has also proved flawless for me. Maybe it was not one of the best in early development but it is very good now. No need to have different brands for antivirus and firewall.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Its worth bearing in mind that if the PC is only ever used in the one location and is connecting via a router then none of the incoming threats actually reach the computer anyway. Yes you have the benefit of seeing when a program is trying to make an outbound connection, but the idea is if you are routinely scanning with AV and Anti-malware tools then there wont be any malicious software on the machine to begin with.

---
    TL;dr
    Most people dont need a software firewall in the same way they did like 15 years ago and the Vista/7 one is more than capable.