Cooking is not entertainment!

Comments

• vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    TBH. I don't think it's eluding anybody.

It's just a case of somebody taking the opportunity to voice a subjective opinion.

Take a look through DS and you'll find that the vast majority of discussion occurs on the same basis.

In fact, I find it rather disingenuous when people try to use a "fallacy of scale" to try and refute an argument.
    Somebody'll post a thread about, say, a dozen muslims raping kids and somebody else will show up and say "Yeah but that's only a tiny number of people. It's not like ALL muslims are raping kids" as if that, somehow, mitigates the issue under discussion.

Rape and Islam in a discussion about people making pies on the telly? *hats off* :D
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I love it too! Would give him a run for his money on somethings he does!

I would certainly try one or two of the things he's done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's those that taste and review wine that make me chuckle.

Bouquets of hollyhock and all that jazz.

Hi! :D
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    It's not all that surprising really.

It is to me why would a country that is obese want to encourage more to be like that by attempting to do what he does and lets face it those restaurants have pictures of people attempting to eat like pigs basically of people doing just that.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    Rape and Islam in a discussion about people making pies on the telly? *hats off* :D

Yeah, TBH, I thought about re-writing it about bicyclists instead but I'd already typed it so, meh.

I wasn't suggesting that's what epicurian was doing btw.
    I was just pointing out that pretty-much every opinion posted here is going to be a "minority" opinion in the grand scheme of things. :)
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is to me why would a country that is obese want to encourage more to be like that by attempting to do what he does and lets face it those restaurants have pictures of people attempting to eat like pigs basically of people doing just that.

So we are doing the 'people copying what people on the telly are doing' arguement then?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's probably rather inexpensive and easy to make them. So don't expect an end to them soon, OP.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I watch Masterchef, Great British Bake off and Saturday Kitchen sometimes. It can give you ideas and inspiration.
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masterchef: the Professionals is the only one I watch regularly, as it features Michel Roux Jr., who is a sort of tv antidote to Gordon Ramsay and thus proof you don't have to be boorish, foul-mouthed bully to be a great chef.

I occasionally watch The Great British Menu when it's on, as again it features professionals, though it's hard not to feel that some of the critics on it (apart from Pru Leith) could do with having their heads shoved down a toilet.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And still we have a nation of people who can barely cook (if you listen to government propaganda).

You would think that with all these cooking programmes on the general populus would all be fabulous chefs by now.

Clearly something is going wrong with the presentation.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV should surely be more than entertainment, it is also for information, instruction, exploration, discovery, debate, etc etc.

And people have the right to pick and choose, which clearly (if, to coin a phrase, they can't cook or won't cook) they do.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think with all these singing programmes on we'd have a nation of Pavarottis and Dame Kiris now by the same logic.

I always assumed these cooking programmes were a bird thing.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Horses for courses really

Horses?

Four courses :eek::cool::D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Although I like Come Dine With Me because the narrator is comedy gold!

This is the only cooking show I sometimes watch due to Dave Lamb :D

The rest just just 'cook off' our screens. There are far too many :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, TBH, I thought about re-writing it about bicyclists instead but I'd already typed it so, meh.

I wasn't suggesting that's what epicurian was doing btw.
    I was just pointing out that pretty-much every opinion posted here is going to be a "minority" opinion in the grand scheme of things. :)

I know. Still made me laugh my head off though.. :D
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    So we are doing the 'people copying what people on the telly are doing' arguement then?
    I'd love the chance to copy some of the things he does ! :D The best I can hope for is TGI Friday. :rolleyes:
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love man v food makes me want to go to USA an eat till I'm fat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    This is the only cooking show I sometimes watch due to Dave Lamb :D

The rest just just 'cook off' our screens. There are far too many :yawn:

Ha ha the best one I heard was over the weekend.

The woman was frantically moving pots about in her miniscule kitchen and achieveing absoluely nothing , to which Dave explains "well that was about as useful as re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic":D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I like cooking but I don't like watching cooking shows on TV.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH. I don't think it's eluding anybody.

It's just a case of somebody taking the opportunity to voice a subjective opinion.

Take a look through DS and you'll find that the vast majority of discussion occurs on the same basis.

In fact, I find it rather disingenuous when people try to use a "fallacy of scale" to try and refute an argument.
    Somebody'll post a thread about, say, a dozen muslims raping kids and somebody else will show up and say "Yeah but that's only a tiny number of people. It's not like ALL muslims are raping kids" as if that, somehow, mitigates the issue under discussion.

Sorry, I'm not seeing how this relates to what I said. I'm not refuting any argument since I haven't seen an argument to refute. The OP expressed a subjective opinion, and melodramatically declared television had reached an all time low, without really explaining himself beyond him not liking it. Different people like different things, which I think is good. I could be wrong, but the OP doesn't seem to agree, and that's the egocentrism I was getting at.

And we are still talking about cookery shows right? Not really comparable to heavy, emotive subjects like religion and rape... imo.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with TV these days, people throwing things in hot oily pans everywhere you look, I really think some television has reached an all time low..

Cooking has always been prominent on TV for the simple reason that cooking is of great interest to a lot of people, the programmes don't cost much to make and they get good ratings anytime day or night.

If cooking is more prominent now its a reflection that the British in general have become more experimental and more interested in new recipe ideas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have had a few great recipes come from watching cooking programs. Jamie Olivers 15 minute meals is a fave! We have lovely bbq's in the summer thanks to Jamie! lol
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also say that I can't imagine how cookery programs can represent an all time low when programs such as TOWIE, Geordie Shore and Peter Andre - Look at me exist. :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    It's the two arseholes who judge Masterchef that really wind me up.The way they talk, you'd think they were discussing artwork or philosophy or something.

"Ah, well, the flavour of this meat is drowned by the sharpness of the jus, the potatoes are slightly overcooked and stodgy and the presentation of the vegetables is confusing and distracts the eye"

Oh, really?
    Well, give it to a starving african then you miserable c**t.
    I'm sure he won't mind a sharp jus or stodgy potatoes! :mad:

It's food. It's cooked. It's edible.
    Eat it. Thank the cook and get on with the rest of your life.

BIB, is it still 'those 2 blokes who look like burglars' to quote Alan Partridge?:D

The trouble with anything when it gets on TV is that the programme-makers have to talk it up and make it far more complicated than it really is. To take your Formula 1 example, the post-race discussion could be 'Well, they went round and round and then the German won' - job done. However, when you've got a couple of hours of airtime to fill, it's not enough. Same with football - to hear some of the pundits, you'd think they were deconstructing an Ibsen play instead of talking about a few thuggish millionaires kicking a ball around.

Actually I agree with you about the cookery programmes; I love cooking but I don't watch them. I'm not going to learn anything about cooking from a couple of overweight Northerners preparing basic grub and regaling the audience with what they think is amusing repartee.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Only the meat course, surely?

That's what I would have thought.