DAB radio keeps cutting out (East Kent)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My DAB radio keeps losing the signal and cutting out (after working fine all day and the aerial hasnt moved).

I don't have any other sets to check it with so is it a problem with my stereo or with the base station?

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be due to the weather.
    And FM is very bad here.
    I am getting the mux here OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be due to the weather.
    And FM is very bad here.
    I am getting the mux here OK.

FM is perfect here (on the same radio) and the DAB is also perfect quality until it loses the signal. Does that suggest its my radio then?
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,470
    Forum Member
    I suspect this could well be down to atmospheric conditions at present.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might help if you post where you are in Kent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might help if you post where you are in Kent.

Sorry, Thanet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try your radio in another place like by a window and see if its any better.
    IF not it may get better in a few hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try your radio in another place like by a window and see if its any better.
    IF not it may get better in a few hours.

Thanks, I'll try it later if it doesnt improve but its a stereo so is a bit awkward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has your signal got better yet?
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have three DAB sets in my house, and one of them always drops the signal on Real Radio (Yorkshire), Five Live, BBC Radio Humberside, Radio 2, and The Arrow. It will go off for about 3 or 4 seconds and then come back on. The other sets in the house don't do it.

Every other DAB station works fine and doesn't cut out, just the ones above. For the life of me I can't remember the make/model of the radio involved. I'm at work at the minute.....
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've found the 'Digital Cliff'. Analogue broadcasts degrade gradually as they get weaker, but with digital it's all or nothing with very little in between.

That's why the postcode checkers for DAB and DTT (Freeview) tend to be rather conservative. You'll often appear to get good reception in a postcode where it's supposed to be unavailable. However, when you have a signal that's right on the edge you'll lose the lot as soon as it rains, the leaves come out, there's a change in the temperature or the humidity etc.

The solution is to move your radio. Better still, plug in a separate aerial; search the forum using the terms DAB DIY Aerial and you'll see that you can make one for next to nothing.