✭✭
    bonjourno fusilli:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the drinks woman needs to add some tommy k to that pud :D
  • Becki_StaffordBecki_Stafford Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Im a little late but catching up on Sky + but have to admit have a crush on Michel Roux Jr and now Tom Kerridge, both excellent chefs without being big headed about it unlike some on Masterchef I could mention!

I enjoyed the show but do agree with others I would like to know where I can get these wines otherwise what's the point telling us?

On another note, Monica Galetti in smile shocker!!!! LOL
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,774
    Forum Member
    Im a little late but catching up on Sky + but have to admit have a crush on Michel Roux Jr and now Tom Kerridge, both excellent chefs without being big headed about it unlike some on Masterchef I could mention!

I enjoyed the show but do agree with others I would like to know where I can get these wines otherwise what's the point telling us?

On another note, Monica Galetti in smile shocker!!!! LOL

I love Tom Kerridge (in a non-sexual way) but trying to get a table at his restaurant is virtually impossible.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beef Wellington? Cooked by a Frenchman? He'd be turning in his grave!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you've got about 42 Michelin stars Michel, but a little bit of modesty wouldn't go amiss. :)
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something about the whole "pop up" and "only on twitter" thing just winds me up. It just smacks of only being available to people who know people who know people.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's so smarmy!
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried hard to like/enjoy this programme but it has always seemed that something was missing. Some very nice folks sitting around a kitchen table talking about food and drink, doing some cooking and drinking plus a few other bits thrown in! Not inspiring, certainly nothing exciting or new, quite bland all round really. Will there be another series?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For the series MRJ does not work. He's too far up the echelons of his industry to give general appeal imo. He laughs and jokes with his comments about things that he deems beneath him but I just think that inside he really feels strongly that way and we mere mortals should leave it to him and his michelin starred mates to keep the status quo in the restaurant industry.

There are exceptions. A lot of the top chefs that go into gastropubs have been through the stuffy restaurant world and realise that the public, as well as themselves, want a more casual experience with more accesible food but still produced by top quality chefs.

As for this episode there is just something that puts me off Rachel Khoo. She is a lovely looking young woman, slightly reminiscent of the lovel Ching-He Huang that I like a lot, but maybe too arty farty for my liking.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think i'd be too disappointed if this show wasn't recommissioned for another series. For me "Saturday Kitchen" is still the best show on TV for all round general cooking discussion and special guests. Well worth watching if you don't normally tune in for it.

Maybe they'd have been better just naming this show "Michel's Kitchen" and actually film it at La Gavroche and have Michel host the show there and invite guests into his kitchen and do things there. At least then he would be able to go all out on French food and Roux family classics and perhaps then it wouldn't be masquerading as something it isn't. But I suppose there wouldn't be the viewers. But that's all Food & Drink was really.

I wonder how Tom would have faired hosting the show?
    Forum Member
    I don't think i'd be too disappointed if this show wasn't recommissioned for another series. For me "Saturday Kitchen" is still the best show on TV for all round general cooking discussion and special guests. Well worth watching if you don't normally tune in for it.

Maybe they'd have been better just naming this show "Michel's Kitchen" and actually film it at La Gavroche and have Michel host the show there and invite guests into his kitchen and do things there. At least then he would be able to go all out on French food and Roux family classics and perhaps then it wouldn't be masquerading as something it isn't. But I suppose there wouldn't be the viewers. But that's all Food & Drink was really.

I wonder how Tom would have faired hosting the show?
    Totally agree with that. I tuned in because I remember the last couple incarnations of Food & Drink.
    I wonder how many people, or Masterchef fans, tuned in because of MRJ?
    Forum Member
    Just noticed thete was a christmas special on tonight.

It's repeated on Sunday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yup. They mentioned at the end that the series is back in the new year.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it. Forgot what didn't appeal the first time around.... The drinks woman...... Comes across too much as a seller. Nothing personable about her.
    Forum Member
    Yes, I also thought she wasn't a good fit.

I did like the fact that she recommended more than just wine though.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Yes, I also thought she wasn't a good fit.

I did like the fact that she recommended more than just wine though.

But no Christmas ales, if I remember rightly. This country must produce 50-100 seasonal ales each year, with many being delicious, warming, rich beers that are perfectly suited to the cold climate. And all we hear is wine.

They need to rename this programme Food and Wine.
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched the xmas special yet but in the series as well as wine she recommended beer, cider and soft drinks.

Even that was a refreshing change to Saturday Kitchen where whatever they cook the seem to shoehorn in a wine recommendation.

There are plenty of nice beers, ciders and other alcoholic or soft drinks that will match brilliantly with meals/ingredients.
    Forum Member
    New series starts tonight at 8:30
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spare bread always goes into a bread and butter pud here!

Mary and Michel have a good rapport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That fish pie looks like proper winter warming food.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    That fish pie looks like proper winter warming food.

Given the choice of that (or any other Mary Berry dish or cake) and one of MRJ's fancy French dishes, as seen on Masterchef, then I know which I would go for anytime!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    Haha Love it how Mary refuses to play the 'pompous wine expert'.
    The other two numpties going on about 'grassy' flavours.... and Mary sitting there saying "Quite nice isn't it".

You can just tell that her inner monologue is saying "Oh puhhlease!"

Good old Mary!