How much would it take for me to repair a dead pixel on my ipad?

loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's a teeny tiny greenish light that comes out near the bottom if my ipad, can only see it on a darker background, apple said its most likely a dead pixel.

The thing is my warranty has expired so how much would the cost to repair it be?

Comments

• Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you can get rid of them by pressing quite hard on the affected area of the screen, but be careful! I once had a red pixels stuck on my TV screen and I was able to get rid of it this way but it would eventually come back. I haven't noticed it for a while though, seems to come and go.

Just google stuck pixels or dead pixels, again be careful not to cause more serious damage to your screen. Apple can otherwise replace the device but it will cost you dear, and even if it had still been in warranty it's unlikely they would replace it with just a single defective pixel, usually it's a set number depending on device type and screen resolution.

Or just put up with it, if it's near the edge surely it's not so noticeable?
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    Sometimes you can get rid of them by pressing quite hard on the affected area of the screen, but be careful! I once had a red pixels stuck on my TV screen and I was able to get rid of it this way but it would eventually come back. I haven't noticed it for a while though, seems to come and go.

Just google stuck pixels or dead pixels, again be careful not to cause more serious damage to your screen. Apple can otherwise replace the device but it will cost you dear, and even if it had still been in warranty it's unlikely they would replace it with just a single defective pixel, usually it's a set number depending on device type and screen resolution.

Thank you, I'm assuming it would cost more than the ipad itself right? Lol
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm assuming it would cost more than the ipad itself right? Lol

No, won't cost that much.

http://www.ipadrepairleeds.co.uk/index.html

This place shows some approx prices
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

Thanks!
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »

I probably wouldn't do this because unlike an LCD TV there is a layer of glass (digitizer) above the LCD. Pushing too hard on this risks breaking it (but it probably would require a really hard push to even slightly damage it). It also makes it difficult to apply pressure where necessary.

If it's green that doesn't suggest a dead pixel. IPS LCDs which the iPad has default to black when dead. It's possibly dust under the glass or a stuck pixel which can be remedied with an app that flashes primary colours on the screen in a fast sequence, or it may just eventually fix itself. How old is the iPad?

Try turning the screen off and see if you can see any dust particles. Change the background colour and see if the 'green' dot changes colour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm not going to press on it, but I wonder if apple won't fix it because its just one pixel?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    No I'm not going to press on it, but I wonder if apple won't fix it because its just one pixel?

I would not expect them to repair it for one pixel as usually a certain number of dead pixels can be on an LCD screen and companies don't class them as a fault. It can depend on number/colour and location.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not expect them to repair it for one pixel as usually a certain number of dead pixels can be on an LCD screen and companies don't class them as a fault. It can depend on number/colour and location.

I don't think they will fix it. I'm very OCD about these things and now that I know it's there it disturbs me and every time I see another ipas I get jealous thinking theirs Is so clean and perfect :( sad I know :o
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    I don't think they will fix it. I'm very OCD about these things and now that I know it's there it disturbs me and every time I see another ipas I get jealous thinking theirs Is so clean and perfect :( sad I know :o

Oh don't worry I'm the same. I found a dead pixel on my month old Dell laptop, a red dot and it irritates the hell out of me, especially when watching things in full screen.

Then less then a week later I found one on my iPod Touch
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just took an iPad 4 back with dust under the screen
    Was hardly noticeable, but bugging me when on a white page.
    They swapped it for a new refurb
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i rang them and they said about £150

apple said i have to book an appointment and they will check it out, they didnt give a price.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize a single pixel could die.
    That's just one more thing to worry about my beloved iPad 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I get it done they said they replace the whole screen and the site actually mentions they are OCD as well lol, I think they would clean the whole ipad as well wouldn't they?