Glastonbury 2014 Headliners Speculation

scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The creator of Glastonbury has said that the headliners for the 2014 festival have been picked, and none of them have ever played the festival before on any stage.

Who could that possibly be? I'm really stumped. The only plausible act I can think of that's big enough to headline who definitely has never performed there before is Rihanna, which I'm sure would cause controversy.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    ooops...wrong. I always had a suspicion that Liam and Noel would kiss and make up for one last swansong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Rihanna, maybe Madonna?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Madonna's never done it, but maybe I'm hoping for too much from her next year. :o

And before anyone tries to come in with ''she wouldn't suit a rock festival'' or whatever - she did a killer set at Coachella in 2006, downsizing the Confessions Tour but bringing the good stuff. :D
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping for Fleetwood Mac, they said they never did it this year due to their American tour but would do it next year then the man who runs the festival said he'd booked next year's headliners
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I think Madonna would be an amazing headliner, sure there would controversy but it's all publicity. Michael Eavis has mentioned his wish list - I’m pretty sure she would be high on that list.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Prince?
    Bowie? Oops, he's done it already. I'm shocking at this TBH. :p
  • dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Will Kylie Minogue complete her unfinished business?
    Forum Member

I think he said they're over Kylie.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're isn't many- Prince for sure, Fleetwood Mac and Kylie also The Eagles
  • rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member

oooooh what is kylies unfinished business?
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    oooooh what is kylies unfinished business?

She was due to headline Glastonbury in 2005 but was diagnosed with breast cancer so had to pull out.

It was reported in the press a few years back that Michael Eavis, the founder of Glastonbury, said that he was over the idea of Kylie headlining the festival. He has said on numerous occasions since then that his words were taken out of context and he didn't actually say he was over her. She was great performing with the Scissor Sisters back in 2010. Maybe she'll finally get to headline one day.

Fleetwood Mac would be great.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    She was due to headline Glastonbury in 2005 but was diagnosed with breast cancer so had to pull out.

It was reported in the press a few years back that Michael Eavis, the founder of Glastonbury, said that he was over the idea of Kylie headlining the festival. He has said numerous times since then that his words were taken out of context and he didn't actually say he was over her. She was great performing with the Scissor Sisters back in 2010.

Although not a huge fan of pop acts headlining festivals, I think Kylie would do an amazing job of headling Glastonbury! Katy Perry could be another outside bet maybe? I hope it isn't Rihanna or Lady Gaga though!

Original Glasto headliner rumours were Fleetwood Mac, Depeche Mode and Elbow - 2 of which I don't think have played before, so that would just rule out Elbow. Unless Eavis has got confused and meant to say acts who have never headlined before??
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    Has Noel Gallagher ever played Glastonbury solo? Could be a good shout seeing as Definitely Maybe is 20 years old that year..

Edit: Really, really can't see the likes of GaGa or Katy Perry headlining.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it won't be prince, that's for sure, but although they were threatened by lawyers not to spread rumours regarding this year, as a result of all the rumours in the past, i expect more rumours. but it's not going to happen as glastonbury don't pay much to any bands, even headliners. they all do it for self promotion and personal reasons, whilst prince only does shows like that for the money. if he wants a fun show he'll play a club instead. the festivals he plays are ones that pay him huge fees, like $4m for coachella
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady gaga, Rihanna, Kylie and Katy Perry? What is this nonsense. They have absolutely no business being at glastonbury.

Why not just invite Il Divo and be done with it? There's a reason why T4 on the beach exists.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be Prince, because I can't go next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady gaga, Rihanna, Kylie and Katy Perry? What is this nonsense. They have absolutely no business being at glastonbury.

Why not just invite Il Divo and be done with it? There's a reason why T4 on the beach exists.

Of course they have every right to be at Glastonbury.

Its not The Glastonbury Festival of My Music Is Cooler Than Your Music.

Its The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts.

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Of course they have every right to be at Glastonbury.

Its not The Glastonbury Festival of My Music Is Cooler Than Your Music.

Its The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts.

If that's the case then they can stay well away from the pyramid. Bands are the only ones capable of packing a field of over 80,000.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many need to be in a band?

The White Stripes were incredible headliners a few years ago. Guitar and drums.

And everyone said Moby wasn't Pyramid headline material, but pretty much nailed it.

Ditto Jay Z.

Oasis, headliners in 2004 sucked big style.

And yes, I was there for all of them.

If anything should stay away from Glastonbury, its music snobbery.

Forum Member
    If that's the case then they can stay well away from the pyramid. Bands are the only ones capable of packing a field of over 80,000.

Madonna, Lady Gaga and Beyonce are bands now then. OK. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said already, there's a reason why T4 on the beach exists... I'm sure the modern day popstars will be welcome there with the CD players and fancy outfits. Oh, and Jay Z was dreadful, the field started to empty after Winehouse finished her set. Fleetwood Mac and Depeche Mode would do the job just fine.

Perhaps Madge could sign herself up for the Capital FM summertime ball?
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    As I said already, there's a reason why T4 on the beach exists... I'm sure the modern day popstars will be welcome there with the CD players and fancy outfits. Oh, and Jay Z was dreadful, the field started to empty after Winehouse finished her set. Fleetwood Mac and Depeche Mode would do the job just fine.

Perhaps Madge could sign herself up for the Capital FM summertime ball?

Actually T4 on the Beach DOESN'T exist anymore...

Beyoncé headlined Glastonbury, so I don't really see why other pop acts wouldn't. I would prefer more rock headliners personally, but I do think that Kylie, Pink or Katy Perry would put on a good performance. Lady Gaga takes herself far too seriously and wouldn't be so much fun IMO, and Rihanna is too overexposed. Those are just my opinions though and I expect any of those would draw a crowd.

Another 'out of the box' suggestion: how about Metallica?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not my memory of Jay-Z - from the moment he came on and took the piss out of Noel, the audience seemed well up for it, and the joke seemed to be on Noel. I could be wrong, but I remember pretty much all the reviews being overwhelmingly positive.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcade Fire, Pearl Jam and Fleetwood Mac (With Christine)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcade Fire would be great, although I don't think they've ever quite had the breakthrough to headline the Pyramid. Out of all the names mentioned, Fleetwood Mac would probably be a good bet. Haim would make good guest for them.