TombRaider

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
Just started playing the new TombRaider game and having trouble with the Quick Time Events which flash up on the screen and you have to press the correct button or its bye bye Lara...!!

Is it me or is anyone else finding that as soon as the screen goes into the QTE mode and the large circle appears on the screen and gradually gets smaller and smaller until it zones in to the corresponding controller button you need to hit, before your brain actually realizes which button is showing on the screen and you physically press it on the controller - its too late and Lara has met her demise, forcing you to do the whole sequence again..?!?

It seems that the QTEs do not give you enough time to react before they dish out the consequences....!!!

The first one i can remember is very early on in the game where Lara is scrambling through some underground cave system and she goes through an opening and some dude grabs her leg behind her. The QTE comes up and finally zones in on the Y button but before you get a chance to react, its too late because you have taken too long to react in actually pressing the Y button and the guy grabs Lara and game over...!!:confused:

The only way I have been managing to do these QTEs is basically failing the first attempts so that I know which button will flash up on the screen beforehand (its always the same one when you repeat the QTE) and thus hitting it in plenty of time....!!

Is there a knack to these....?!!!:confused:

Comments

• Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Yeah, stop playing the game as it's too irritating and keeps on cheaply relying on them throughout the game. Quit while you're ahead and move on to a decent game. Oh and don't forget to write to the publishers explaining exactly why you did. Maybe then the franchise will then be back worth playing again.

Regards

Mark
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started playing the new TombRaider game and having trouble with the Quick Time Events which flash up on the screen and you have to press the correct button or its bye bye Lara...!!

Is it me or is anyone else finding that as soon as the screen goes into the QTE mode and the large circle appears on the screen and gradually gets smaller and smaller until it zones in to the corresponding controller button you need to hit, before your brain actually realizes which button is showing on the screen and you physically press it on the controller - its too late and Lara has met her demise, forcing you to do the whole sequence again..?!?

It seems that the QTEs do not give you enough time to react before they dish out the consequences....!!!

The first one i can remember is very early on in the game where Lara is scrambling through some underground cave system and she goes through an opening and some dude grabs her leg behind her. The QTE comes up and finally zones in on the Y button but before you get a chance to react, its too late because you have taken too long to react in actually pressing the Y button and the guy grabs Lara and game over...!!:confused:

The only way I have been managing to do these QTEs is basically failing the first attempts so that I know which button will flash up on the screen beforehand (its always the same one when you repeat the QTE) and thus hitting it in plenty of time....!!

Think its to do with the circle closing on the button. I beat it on PC but just started on the PS3 version and I have messed up the QTE's abit!!

Practice I suppose :)
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a knack to these....?!!!

I just clocked the colour, waited half a second then hit the right button.

I did experiment with trying to time it 'til the last possible second to see if there was any increase in damage or an alternate move. But no.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I just clocked the colour, waited half a second then hit the right button.

I did experiment with trying to time it 'til the last possible second to see if there was any increase in damage or an alternate move. But no.

...hmm - might have to try this tonight!!

Are you saying that as the circle closes in, it is the colour of the button you need to press, before it actually displays the button itself?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The large circle should flash when you can press the button.

Once you get used to it you always have time. I only got caught out 3 or 4 times through the whole game.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once you get used to it you always have time. I only got caught out 3 or 4 times through the whole game.

Well timed (no pun) topic this. G/f and I kicked this one off today on PS3 and we had precisely the same timing problems. Advice appreciated.

Other than the qte frustrations, this ones a beaut. Slick dramatic visuals, some pleasing light RPG elements, atmospheric ambient audio and it's all round presentation is first rate. Very sharp loading too on the PSN d/l version.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im thinking of buying Tomb Raider (just because I loved the originals on PS1)

Has the new one got plenty of puzzles, and action, or is it all QTE (which frankly p**s me off)

Might as well watch a film with QTE's

Might I be better with the previous releases?

Legend/Anniversary/Underworld?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I had no issues with the QTEs during the gameplay but I do feel they take away from the gameplay itself.
    If that makes sense to everyone else.
    Forum Member

...not sure why but still couldn't get the hang of this last night!!

As soon as the large circle shows up on the screen, you have to wait until it gets smaller and smaller (the large circle is white in colour) and finally zeroes in the controller letter you need to press. The problem is, is that when the letter does indeed flash up on the screen, the game actually gives you less than 1 real life second to hit that button before it gives you the red exclamation mark meaning you have failed to press it in time.:confused:

In reality - when your eyes see the letter and tell your brain to move your finger to hit the correct button, this takes more than 1 second resulting in failing the QTE.

The only way I have been managing to beat the QTEs is by genuinely trying the first time and failing, but then when you retry the QTE, you obviously then know which button is going to flash up on the screen (its always the same one when you replay the QTE) and hammer away at it before its physically shown on the screen - which does somehow imply the QTEs in this game are somewhat broken (because you have to press the button before its shown on the screen!!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well timed (no pun) topic this. G/f and I kicked this one off today on PS3 and we had precisely the same timing problems. Advice appreciated.

Other than the qte frustrations, this ones a beaut. Slick dramatic visuals, some pleasing light RPG elements, atmospheric ambient audio and it's all round presentation is first rate. Very sharp loading too on the PSN d/l version.

Game is very nice looking.

Only advice I can give is the same as above. Once the QTE pops up you don't have too much time, so a good peripheral vision can be very helpful. We gamers tend to get a bit tunnel visioned when engrossed.

When it pops, only wait half a second or so and then hit the corresponding button. Remember, it doesn't have to get all the way down to the button image, just as long as the reducing circe is inside the large one.

Has the new one got plenty of puzzles, and action, or is it all QTE (which frankly p**s me off)

The QTE's tend to be less intrusive than other games I've played. This is a less puzzle based game than previous entries. But it is a reboot and origin story so I can forgive it. It shows Lara's development from naive girl to badass adventurer.
    KrazehJeff wrote: »
    I had no issues with the QTEs during the gameplay but I do feel they take away from the gameplay itself.
    If that makes sense to everyone else.

As above, I don't think they were quite as intrusive as most QTE's. But I do think the game could have done without them.
    ...not sure why but still couldn't get the hang of this last night!!

As soon as the large circle shows up on the screen, you have to wait until it gets smaller and smaller (the large circle is white in colour) and finally zeroes in the controller letter you need to press. The problem is, is that when the letter does indeed flash up on the screen, the game actually gives you less than 1 real life second to hit that button before it gives you the red exclamation mark meaning you have failed to press it in time.:confused:

In reality - when your eyes see the letter and tell your brain to move your finger to hit the correct button, this takes more than 1 second resulting in failing the QTE.

The only way I have been managing to beat the QTEs is by genuinely trying the first time and failing, but then when you retry the QTE, you obviously then know which button is going to flash up on the screen (its always the same one when you replay the QTE) and hammer away at it before its physically shown on the screen - which does somehow imply the QTEs in this game are somewhat broken (because you have to press the button before its shown on the screen!!)

Not broken, you just need more experience with them. Like I said above, once you get used to it you'll wonder what was so hard at first.

Combat QTE's tend to be (Xbox) 'Y'
    Chase/Escape are 'A'
    Environmental are button mash 'X'

I think 'B' is just for using a weapon, but memory escapes...
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The QTE your're talking about with the decreasing circle was always 'Y' on the xbox controller for me.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only advice I can give is the same as above. Once the QTE pops up you don't have too much time, so a good peripheral vision can be very helpful. We gamers tend to get a bit tunnel visioned when engrossed.

Cheers. But when I said 'advice appreciated' it was for the already supplied advice. My bad, should have been clearer. Re the game, we're around 25% in and it's all quality this one. Epitomising my view that current gen has much mileage yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem with QTEs in any game and as always in this game i felt they added something, i'd rather actively take part in how a cutscene, then just sitting there and watching one

I do wish there was an option to turn them off so that people wouldn't need to struggle through a part of a game and we so we'd see less complaints about them

I'm sorry if you're one of the people that said this or thinks it, but i do have to laugh at the 'quick time events are to quick' complaint, i think that is kinda of the point, you often need to use instant reflexes, just as the character in the game would need to react instantly or they would die
    Forum Member
    Still playing this game and have to say, that it just keeps on going...!!!!

Last night, I reached the part where
    you go through the Shanty town and towards the end of the town, it was literally like enemy after enemy after enemy - actually thought I was coming to the end of the game (the parts where Lara was literally running through the buildings whilst everything around her was exploding with fire was mad and very 'err - yeah right - there's no way she could have survived that'!!!)!!

Then Roth (I think that was his name) gets an axe into his back saving Lara in the process, and then, with the other members of her team, they re-group and Lara decides to head into the centre of the island to sort out the source of the storm so that they can all escape again.

I am now at the campsite just before Lara ventures to find the source of the storm and can't help thinking that the adventure has really only just begun....!!!!!

Its like a never ending Tomb Raider game....!!!!

Still enjoying it though.....!!!
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tomb Raider 2013 is really good once you get past the firs half-an-hour... then the island opens up to become more 'open world' with different tasks to do and fewer QTE. I'm really enjoying it tbh :o;)

Having played a lot of the TR games I have to say that though the graphics are not as pleasing as later games the original TR game is still the best :o :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Tomb Raider 2013 is really good once you get past the firs half-an-hour... then the island opens up to become more 'open world' with different tasks to do and fewer QTE. I'm really enjoying it tbh :o;)

Having played a lot of the TR games I have to say that though the graphics are not as pleasing as later games the original TR game is still the best :o :eek:

It might be rose-tinted nostalgia glasses but the I still think the original is the best of the lot. In fact, the first 3 games were all superb.
    It was only because a mate was stuck and borrowed it to me that I played it. I completed it and when I gave it back he asked if I got stuck at the same point. "No mate finished it. Where did you get stuck?" The look of 'you bastard' on his face was priceless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I actually didn't like the originals because even being a young lad, believe it or not, it was the objectification of Lara that put me off it ... it was the groans of my friends as she did the splits or the comments around her physique etc actually made me want to play it less and less not more.

I liked the direction here and have to say really enjoyed playing it ... only thing that has really wee'd me off about it is a glitched achievement, makes me so mad! :mad: