US execs cancel the best shows.

2»

Comments

• MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    It's been discussed on DS but the one hope I have for the future for saving cult shows are the subscription streaming services. You could see Netflix or Lovefilm part funding shows, which will give them a rock solid subscribership of cult TV fans.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    It's been discussed on DS but the one hope I have for the future for saving cult shows are the subscription streaming services. You could see Netflix or Lovefilm part funding shows, which will give them a rock solid subscribership of cult TV fans.

I agree, hopefully we will see that in future.

But personally, I think it's time writers/producers got wise and realised that selling sci-fi shows to network TV is too big of a risk nowadays. The failure of various sci-fi shows over the last few years is proof of that despite quite a few of them being terrible (The Event, FlashForward, Surface and Terra Nova come to mind).

I think cable TV is the way to go. I mean look at Falling Skies (which is dismal IMO), I don't think this show would have had a chance in hell if it had aired on network TV and would've found itself in the trashcan along with the shows mentioned above. But it done fine on cable. So if Falling Skies can be successful on cable, then I think ANY sci-fi show can. There's certainly less pressure to succeed on cable in terms of ratings (as cable audiences are naturally smaller than mainstream network audiences as you know).
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Those execs in the US infuriate me giving good shows no time!

Sorry just a rant about shows I miss

FlashForward
    The Event
    No Ordinary Family
    Terra Nova
    Medium
    Men of a Certain Age
    Ghost Whisperer
    House
    Alcatraz
    Fringe

Now some may not have been axed but they are in borrowed time the old TV i have left is

Misfits
    The Walking Dead
    Homeland
    Episodes
    Touch
    Boardwalk Empire
    Being Human US
    Family Guy

Thanks for listening.....

Dan

Some of those shows I very much liked however none of them did great in the ratings. You've got to remember the TV industry is a business if it does not make enough money or in some cases even return a profit it's going to get cancelled with a few exceptions. Don't blame the big guys at the top as It's pointless It's not there fault, they just want money and those shows sadly did not do that.

As said already we need new system where they can all make money and the more techy viewers can watch more at there own pace. When will this happen ? Well I think if netflix is successful with there TV side of things, you might see them expand and newer dedicated services popping up.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    You're comparing apples with oranges though.

All of the shows you've listed as being axed are major network shows. Half of the shows you say are in danger are cable shows that are subject to entirely different pressures.

Plus some of the shows you list; House, Fringe, GW, Medium - have all had decent runs, I don't think we can really complain that they haven't been given a chance.

Family Guy - has at least another 3 seasons, if it's cancelled after that, how many seasons will it have run? I hardly think we can complain that Fox hasn't been supportive....
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    You're comparing apples with oranges though.

All of the shows you've listed as being axed are major network shows. Half of the shows you say are in danger are cable shows that are subject to entirely different pressures.

Plus some of the shows you list; House, Fringe, GW, Medium - have all had decent runs, I don't think we can really complain that they haven't been given a chance.

Family Guy - has at least another 3 seasons, if it's cancelled after that, how many seasons will it have run? I hardly think we can complain that Fox hasn't been supportive....

You haven't been around for a while. Nice to "see" you.:)
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with much TV at the moment, hence I'm behind on most stuff, and find myself commenting long after the fact. :D

I think the only thing I'm really staying with at the moment is Game of Thrones, which of course is utterly brilliant!