ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    They had the rugby. ITV didn't. Presumably ITV beat them for most of primetime.
    If previous weeks are anything to go by, only ant and Dec won their slot in prime time
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,216
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    If previous weeks are anything to go by, only ant and Dec won their slot in prime time

But what about yesterday?

This was BBC One's primetime:

Pointless Celebrities - 4.48m (19.7%)
    In It to Win It - 4.46m (19.2%)
    Casualty - 4.85m (21.0%)
    Mrs. Brown's Boys - 4.88m (22.9%)

ITV:

You've Been Framed - 3.32m (15.1%)
    Saturday Night Takeaway - 6.69m (29.4%)
    The Cube - 4.06m (17.5%)
    Jonathan Ross Show - 2.81m (13.3%)

BBC One were relatively more stable, and yes, probably won the day and primetime. But still, those ratings do NOT show any sign of a crisis.
    Forum Member
    Dont you think the Jonathan ross ratings are quite bad, Hassaan?
    Forum Member
    Dont you think the Jonathan ross ratings are quite bad, Hassaan?

OK yes, they aren't brilliant but that's its strategy, 2-3m is its regular audience. I am surprised it isn't higher because they did have Matt Smith on it.

But, it getting 2m is hardly surprising to me. And bearing in mind, that rating does not include +1.
  • TEOLTEOL Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Part of the reason for this drop is because the default box at signing up for a TV service is an HD box now and because of the better quality even on an old SD television people always use the HD version including those on SD TV's as it's a free HD channel this is because it's less pixelated whatever the TV set you have.

In other words bog standand ITV is mostly not relevent at all now with anyone who has sence and only the older people who don't know the HD number watchs that rubbish picture version anymore.

In my opinion all SD version channels of those also in HD should be scrapped as HD can be watched on an SD TV via their Scart mode in the same or better quality over the SD versions anyway but thats just my opinion and also why ITV normal isn't doing very good as well.

HD probably gets way more views by those people who know the numbers and have the ability to learn and remember them so therefore the millions will be up if you count the proper version of the channel not the rubbish non relevent 3 (Normal) or 103 (SKY) SD versions.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    OK yes, they aren't brilliant but that's its strategy, 2-3m is its regular audience. I am surprised it isn't higher because they did have Matt Smith on it.

But, it getting 2m is hardly surprising to me. And bearing in mind, that rating does not include +1.

He is a good football presenter but hardly a huge draw. Anyway Ross demos are excellent, young and up market nd the Thursday repeat delivers a further 1m
    Forum Member
    Sorry Hassann to break bad news, but Digital spy says only 3.8million for the cube yesterday. Worst rating so far.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Hassann to break bad news, but Digital spy says only 3.8million for the cube yesterday. Worst rating so far.

It was 4.07 million when you include the people who chose to watch it on +1. That 286,000 might have watched it on the original ITV channel if +1 wasn't available, nobody can be sure.

Primetime shares: BBC1 21.2%, ITV 20.5%. The BBC1 share was boosted by the rugby between 6-7pm, ITV was boosted by SNT. A respectable share for both channels though.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a466304/ant--decs-saturday-night-takeaway-ratings-continue-to-rise.html
    Forum Member
    3.8m is still higher than most of the ratings for The Cube last series.
    Forum Member
    Itv are claiming their Queen documentary is the first time this has happened in 20 years. But I thought BBC did one about five years ago when Fincham got in a lot of trouble?
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i dont see why 2012 was special. apart from the olympics. those who wished to watch it on sky were free to do so.

basically what we are seeing is the vast superiority of public service broadcasting over all commerical alternatives. despite sky's false claims about "investing" their profits in tv programmes ......

one go aand metaphorically at least get into bed with samuel ou share a lot of common ground and would be good for each other and might be able to continue the discussion between yourselves. 2ndly there was even rugby on bbc 2 last nigt which may not have helped, 3rdly Ant and Dec are stars who have moved from the bbc to itv and have flourished since the move althought the real battle for saturday night takeaway comes when the voice returns if of course people can be bothered with it after the damp squib it was last year of course and then eventually bgt goes up against it and we ll see what happens then this may even in the long run have some bearing on co presenter for the next series of dancing on ice of course if the voice flounders again and gets axed. 4thly the thing i remind you in every post is that the raw figure for itv is only the main channel not including hte +1 , the hd version or on demand which add viewers although the latter fit the bbc as well alhtough to be fair the type stereotypically of people who watch bbc 1 live are the type of people who will watch it live and watch itv on demand whether habitually , too avoid advertising or some other reason. 5thly in it to win it gets high ratings due to including the lottery draws and the play along game helps as well. 6thly my guess would be that a lot of viewers in wales were over celebrating the rugby victory against england and that the irish were preparing to celebrate st patricks day. 7thly only itv would know if their in crisis and they say that they are definetely not in fact they havent had it so good for a long time nadf i would concur with that thus yet again 8thly me saying that the presupposition of the point that itv is in crisis is disproven and nothing is going wrong singularly with itv than it with linear tv in general terms anyway and that it is wrong to pick just on itv when it affects every one else as well. 9thly i know samuel will never admit this so i dont know why we bother with this and all the alerts dont get anything done - is samuel a moderator or afriend of one maybe, however if samuel does communicate then people like my self will be obliged to reply for a balanced view even though we shouldnt as 90 per cent of what he says is tripe that makes very little sense, this could be over come if he wasnt so agendared and more equally balanced in his viewpoints on all tv related subjects especially rating related which is the point of this thread even though it does wander sometimes. these of course are my thoughts you and samuel are welcome to your own but please all of you including samuel please keep it balanced and fiar to both it bbc and any other persuasio of broadcasting that needs to beshared to enable fair conversation in this thread to continue so as to be friendly with samuel otherwise he might get lonely and we wouldnt want that would we.
    Forum Member
    I wish that was a bit easier to read...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in summary there are many reasons for the thingsthat others have said most of which shouldbe said to exude a balanced view even though samuel wont take notice of it of course. the reasons i m talking about are in my previousd post btw anyway on with the thread thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry i think as i write so please put your own punctuation in to my ramblings so it will then make sense and add to the discussion here - edit it if you wish btw.
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO1- all views are welcome on this thread. But come on, please put some punctuation in your posts so we can understand what you're saying.

CORRECTION: Cube actually did get 4.1millino excluding +1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about that but some of your statements are claptraporitious and to other a balanced view i type and when i get going punctuation leaves me and this replicated to the board. However my thoughts still stand and keep this thread balanced which is more than you do samuel btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thread above this is Should Channel Five Have News and that set me thinking. There is nothing in the next week that I want to watch on either ITV or Channel Five. Criticise the BBC as much as you want, they strive to reach every segment of the UK population and it pays dividends. Right now that is not true of ITV or Channel Five and it shows.
    Forum Member
    WORST ever rating for New who wants to be a millionaire yesterday, only 2.9million - thrashed by a rural farming show on bbc1. Our Queen failed to live up to Itvs expectations, losing its slot to a lavish bbc one drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WORST ever rating for New who wants to be a millionaire yesterday, only 2.9million - thrashed by a rural farming show on bbc1. Our Queen failed to live up to Itvs expectations, losing its slot to a lavish bbc one drama.

3 hours of arts and high quality documentary on itv last night from 8-11pm. Maybe too upmarket for the masses ;)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TBH this show is ancient now and hardly generates a ripple of interest. In its heyday it had 17 million fans. However, what about other tired clunkers on other networks and I don't think ITV is as guilty as Channel 4 for keeping clapped out shows alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    TBH this show is ancient now and hardly generates a ripple of interest. In its heyday it had 17 million fans. However, what about other tired clunkers on other networks and I don't think ITV is as guilty as Channel 4 for keeping clapped out shows alive.

WWTBAM is still good for 3-4m for regular editions and 5m for celeb versions in the right slots. Last night was a bit exposed an suffered correspondingly. However knee jerk reactions arent required.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    WWTBAM is still good for 3-4m for regular editions and 5m for celeb versions in the right slots. Last night was a bit exposed an suffered correspondingly. However knee jerk reactions arent required.

That isn't the Digital Spy way.

When a programme you don't like rates poor you need to demand it's axing immediately, then when it rates well, just ignore it and focus on something else!
    Forum Member
    Last year's Mothers Day special happened to get 5m - what was the reason for that? (good slot perhaps?)

I'm not surprised, they do too many celebrity editions and not many regular and people became bored of them a long while ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRISIS NEWS UPDATE:

Broadchurch won the 9pm slot with a series high of 7.64m (32%).

Corrie at 7.30 peaked with 10.6m (av 9.9m) and the 8.30 episode peaked with 11m (av 9.9m).

James Nesbitt's Ireland 4.6m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read that hyped Itv major drama Broadchurch is facing BBC one dramas for its first few episodes. So I have to change my prediction of 8million for it which I made a couple weeks ago to 6mill for the first episode. I also think it will lose the slot from episodes 3 onwards as viewers end up getting bored of it [critic Alison Graham couldn't even remember the shows name after watching it so can't be too great once you get past the David tennant love]

SamuelW,
    How is that prediction working out?