Best Film scenes?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
simple thread , out of all the films you have watched , what have been your favourite film scenes or what have been the best film scenes you have seen?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I love the "hammer fight" scene in Oldboy. Think it is iconic and really stylish while also bringing out the pure excitement of being able to say "Wow, that was cool".

The "cut scenes" scene from Cinema Paradiso is beautiful and extremely memorable.

The "playing guitar on stage/disappearing from photograph" scene from Back To The Future comes to mind too as a classy bit of film.

These three were the first to come to mind, there are hundreds more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I know it's probably a very obvious choice but Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's choice' when she has to choose. Amazing
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When I think about best scenes for me it would usually be martial arts films and one of the main fight scenes.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a few of these

pretty well all the baseball scenes in The Natural

all the poker scenes in Rounders

The first time Arnie was "back", in the police station.

When Kurt Russell decided to "kill them all", in Soldier

"Is it safe" - in Marathon Man

fight on the lawn, in Step Brothers

various scenes in Crocodile Dundee and Coming to America

the Warden in the Cell, in Shawshank Redemption
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RocknRolla - The piano scene

Shutter Island - Dream sequence

Gangs of New York - Daniel Day Lewis' monologue

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - Vegan Police

Phone Booth - Colin Farrell's confession

And also, the scene in Seven Psychopaths where Sam Rockwell describes his ending to the screenplay in the graveyard. But I couldn't find a video of that :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    The end of Seven springs to mind.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Pulp Fiction - of several very cool scenes my favourite has to be the "collecting the suitcase" one. "I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Here are a few of mine :-

Raiders of the Lost Ark - The truck chase. Simply amazing stunt work on that and a thrilling chase.

Unforgiven - The final shoot-out with Clint having to take out a load of bad guys.

The Player - Opening tracking continuous tracking shot sequence. Superb on a technical level and also a clever clue as to how the movie is going to progress.

La Dolce Vita - The opening sequence with the statue of Christ being lifted around by a helicopter.

Psycho(Hitchcock version) - Not the shower scene but, the voiceover scene with Marion in the car and also the shocking second murder(that one is surprising unlike the shower scene).

The Third Man - The Ferris Wheel scene. Amazing dialogue and performances from Welles and Cotten.

Cabaret - The 'Tomorrow Belongs to Me' sequence. Simply chilling.

Se7en - The chase sequence with Brad Pitt and John Doe. Very frightening and chaotic.

The Godfather Part I - So many. The horse's head, Michael first killings and the death at the level crossing.

Pulp Fiction - The meeting of Mr. Wolf. It is very good how they go from hating him to actually liking him.

Frenzy - The potato truck sequence. I'd also add the second murder sequence as the camera moves away and that tracking shot around the staircase and outside.

A Matter of Life and Death - The periscope/eye scene. Very oddball but, it seems to work.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - The fight scene on the beach at the beginning.

Taxi Driver - The "Are you talking to me?" scene and also the final shoot-out scene.

Sunset Boulevard - The famous "I am big, it's just the pictures that got small." scene. Plus, the ending.

The Usual Suspects - The ending and knowing about Keyser Sozé.

The 39 Steps(Hitchcock version) - Pam and Richard handcuffed and eating sandwiches on the bed.

The Lady Vanishes - The opening scene with the model shots(you can tell they are models), the mystery over the disappearance scene and the shoot-out scene.

The Last Seduction - The revelation scene near the end of the film. Surprising at the time.

The Long Good Friday - The scene where all of the gangsters have been rounded-up and put on to butchers' hook upside down.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Vanilla sky - The final elevator and rooftop scene, with tech support!

American History X - The curb bite

Donnie Brasco - The scene where they arrive to a luxury boat, with some disney type music, that bizarrely works and makes the scene feel quite epic.

Sleepers - A scene with Brad Pitt on the train, where he finally reveals the truth about their childhood to Minnie Driver, and then suddenly disappears when she looks round.

(strange choice here) - The Faculty - The scene where pretty much the whole school has turned into zombies/aliens, and the remaining humans take a slow walk around whilst being stared at.

Final thought - it's usually the right accompanying music that takes a great scene to epic proportions - gotta love the art of music and visual, together, to create emotions.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last 5 minutes of Million Dollar Baby - heartbreaking and stunningly acted.

The Finale of Les Miserables - Valjean's death beautifully acted by Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne, Amanda Seyfried and Colm Wilkinson, followed by a fabulous sweeping shot across the barricade then close-ups of everyone, all accompanied by some of the finest lyrics in the entire show.

So many moments in the Lord of the Rings trilogy that it's impossible to pinpoint them! Any sweeping shot of those stunning New Zealand landscapes :)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of my favourites are the scence between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance; and the face off between Charles Bronson and Hendry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    A couple for me the opening of Inglorious Bastards the dialogue in the hut is just amazing, an acting triumph, just over asking if he can smoke and have a class of milk.

The breakfast table scene in Reservoir Dogs, arguing over "Like a Virgin" and the tip

The Red coat scene from Schindlers List

Joe Pesci "Good Fellows" the "funny how" scene
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen and I appreciate too many films to choose..

Recently the KKK scene from Django Unchained, I thought was brilliant.

The usual responses from members here have spoken for me:
    Joe Pesci "Funny how" Goodfellas
    The opening to The Godfather "I believe in America"
    Kill Bill Vol. 2 the stand off between Beatrix and Elle.
    JFK The whole opening sequence. WOW!
    The Color Purple when Shug Avery sings her way back into her father's affections. Tears.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I'd also go with the "Pistol whip" scene from Goodfellas.

The chopper chopping a zombies head off scene in Dawn Of The Dead.

The "piano performance for the nazi" scene in The Pianist is amazing.

The scene where Steve Martin curses out the airline ticket seller in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

The "skirt blowing" scene from Seven Year Itch is a pure classic.

The joining of the fellowship in LOTR:FOTR
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - the beach house up to the 'meet me in montauk' bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTmlNigifSI

The New World - 'it seems as if I was speaking to you for the first time'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fXO7KjdNcI

Paper Moon - any scene with the two in the car, really
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQc-wtHAlw

O Brother Where Art Thou - Down in the river to pray scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qw6Hon013E

The Shining - the opening scene never fails to put me on edge!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgCejsyS0t8

The Cameraman - i couldn't find the scene where Buster Keaton's making eyes with Sally in the office, but the baseball scene is great too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CM9SDKQRQc

Another Woman - amazing dream sequence and kind of heartbreaking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBRiwouSG2c

The Wicker Man - the ending
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEOQqnHMSMc

i love scouring youtube for film clips!
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True Romance - Dennis Hopper & Christopher Walken, Sicilian Scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For me it just has everything that I love about films. I don't think I will ever love a scene quite as much as I love this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was Tarantino's dialogue at its finest
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scene in the The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall where they flirt by engaging in a romantic dialogue using innuendos related to 'playing the horses and gambling.'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end scene in Some Like It Hot when Jack Lemmon, who is masquerading as a woman, tells Joe E Brown, he's a man, and Joe E. Brown says "Nobody's perfect".

Hilarious even after all these years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'm going to go for something a bit more offbeat, the first hacking scene from The Social Network is one of my favourites
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Pulp Fiction - of several very cool scenes my favourite has to be the "collecting the suitcase" one. "I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

Ha ha! Samuel L is just awesome in that scene - talk about screen presence.

Raise you with "English, motherf*cker! Do you speak it?"
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another few that appeal to me.
    (You keep thinking of new ones don't you)

A History of Violence, when Viggo Mortensen kills the baddies in the bar.

Pleasantville, when colour comes to the film

Identity - the wtf moment when he hightails it to the bar, and finds himself back where he started.

Taken - "I have a set of very special skills." "Good luck"

T2: - "The T1000 coming off the floor maybe

I Walk the Line - Cash getting his deal with Sun records

O Brother Where Art Thou - The Soggy Bottom Boys in concert
    O Brother Where Art Thou - Pappy O'Daniel - "We ain't one at a timing - we're mass communicating"

Road House -so many to choose.

Sexy Beast - Ben Kingsley is mean. Teddy Bass is meaner.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duelling Banjos - Deliverance

Breakdown - The bit where Kurt Russell kicks JT WALSH down into the basement lockup never fails to get me riled!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Die Hard - Thanks for the advice!

Terminator 2 - 0.0 Casualties

First Blood - The Jailbreak
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaws: the Roy Scheider 'zoom' when Jaws has the Kintner boy for dindins