Do you think the orchestra should return to Eurovision?

topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
Forum Member
Just thought I'd start a thread to see what you all think. I know it's not likely to happen any time soon, but personally I quite mourn the loss of a live orchestra at the contest.

I think that although a live orchestra might not necessarily work for all songs, there are several times when I think a live orchestra has completely transformed a track for the better. Here's a couple of examples:

United Kingdom 1997: Love Shine a Light
Original: Although it's still a great track compare this version to how it sounds with the orchestra on the night, it adds so much to the song (particularly from 1:38 onwards)
With orchestra

Sweden 2008: Hero
Original: Another great track, and one of my favourite entries, but have a listen to this alternative performance with an orchestra and how much better it sounds!
With orchestra

Would love to hear what you all think!

Should the orchestra be brought back to Eurovision? 49 votes

Yes
48% 24 votes
No
51% 25 votes

Comments

• 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I think it should be optional.

The contest has moved on now to warrant all countries having to use it (an orchestra would be useless when presented with a song such as Euphoria or La La Love from this year) but it should be there as an option for countries that have a song that would benefit from it.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orchestras really make uptempos sound horrendously dated.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hero does sound better with the orchestra but as Saturn said it sounds a little dated though.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

I was thinking that esp with Hero. Charlotte seemed to really be enjoying it a lot more though
  • topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »

It does a little I agree. Perhaps a mixture of orchestra/backing would work better? Live instruments just seem to give the performance more energy somehow!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not.

The orchestra is terribly outdated for a show like Eurovision. The contest only started to become revitalised again when the orchestra was dropped.

It just doesn't fit in with the TV production and 21st century Eurovision.
  • pauledin99pauledin99 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the no camp. Although I enjoy watching old performances and can see some songs absolutely sounded better with the orchestra, music has moved on and the orchestra would make the contest seem dated.

I'm really used to the versions from the contests in the 80s with the orchestras and when I discover the recorded version they often sound far more of their time. Orchestras buggered up anything that sounded modern. Even our own Bardo and Sweet Dreams sounded so old fashioned compared to their audio versions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Allowing some form of live instruments would be nice, even if it isn't a full orchestra. However, considering the production teams behind the last few contests have struggled to get the sound mix right just for the vocals, I dread to think how badly they would screw up the mix for a whole band!
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though the purist in me says "bring back the orchestra!" I think I'll say overall no - for every Love Shine A Light, there's a Greek Anixi, check out the fabulous Italian sax solo on this :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AwjFhgimdN0#t=71s
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    No I don't think so. It wouldn't really work these days. I couldn't imagine songs like Euphoria with a live orchestra. I've nothing against them using backing tracks as long as they sing live.
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Hero does sound better with the orchestra but as Saturn said it sounds a little dated though.

Not entirely due to the orchestra.
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    While I agree it probably wouldn't work for some songs, I do like the energy a live orchestra can bring to a performane, hence why they use one on Strictly. I also think it's an advtantage The Voice has over the X Factor, which only seemed to use one on big band week.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be great in alternate years so we can get the best of both worlds.. This year's Albanian National Final showed what could be done.. It was a revelation... Can see it growing in status to rival the San Remo song contest.. which also has a live orchestra..
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really can't imagine the campness of eurovision going with an orchestra. I voted yes by accident.
  • topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Seems to be a mixture of opinions on this really- by an "orchestra" I don't necessarily mean something like a symphony orchestra, more along the lines of the bands used in Strictly and the Voice, as someone else mentioned. I don't think they really date the songs at all.