Options

BBC Cuts hit Dr Who on it's 50th Birthday.

Comments

• Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Rather too little detail to be sure, but it would suggest that there will be more DW programmes (of what nature, we are not told). Where exactly did that quote come from, and in what context was it made?

And to be fair, I was actually responding to the oft-quoted "more Doctor Who than ever before"

Perhaps. Who knows. I was offering it as a suggestion of DW-themed programmes, including so-called "dreary documentaries" (sic) like An Adventure in Space and Time.

But to pointedly call someone a liar and in doing to profess to know exactly what they were thinking is in itself very rude and uncalled for in my book.

Moffat said it in reaction to suggestions that the plans for series 7 amount to a reduction.

We agree that when Moffat talks about more programmes he means more DW programmes. The nature of a DW programme is not open to much interpretation. It is a science fantasy drama involving a time traveller. This would be quite distinct from an episode of Pointless Celebrities which is a quiz show. The presence of actors who used to appear in DW Programmes doesn't make it a DW Programme. I think you are clutching at straws in trying to pretend that when the showrunner of Doctor Who says he is making the opposite of a reduction in programmes , that he is in fact making fewer episodes but letting other people make celebrity quiz shows etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "more than ever" - related to DW episodes, or DW-related programming? There is a big difference.

And as for "an event every week" - where did that come from? It's surely a very liberal interpretation (even though you are using it as an example). But nonetheless it's still an interpretation not borne out by what was actually said.

Good grief. Of course there is a "big difference" between DW episodes and DW related programming. This is precisely what appears to be annoying people. The communications appear to have been misleadingly imprecise. What people are saying is that if what Moffat intended to convey was "more DW related programming", he would have had more success in conveying that information if he had actually said so.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    We agree that when Moffat talks about more programmes he means more DW programmes. The nature of a DW programme is not open to much interpretation.
    No, that's where we disagree. Is the drama An Adventure in Space and Time a DW programme? Well, it would appear to be so,.

But I am not getting into some convoluted, tortuous argument as to what a DW programme is or is not.

So, it seems that for some, all that they want and expect are more DW episodes (does that include repeats of new Who, repeats of old Who?) Some seem to expect only more new DW episodes. Others seem to be looking forward to DW-related programmes such as An Adventure in Space & Time.

Whilst there is a possibility that the BBC will provide a mixture, pleasing some, and displeasing others.

And no amount of arguing the toss will make that any the clearer until the plans and schedules are made known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief.
    No need for that.
    Of course there is a "big difference" between DW episodes and DW related programming.
    Yes there is.

BUT

In the statement "more doctor who than ever before", where was the word "programmes" or "episodes"?

You see, it's all down to interpretation, and quite possible one's outlook and initial hopes (and an apparent spooky ability to know precisely what Moffat meant to say, and that he meant to mislead).

I'm not going to carry on here, I'm just repeating myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adventures in Space and Time isn't a DW programe. It's a programme about the DW programme. The distinction isn't in any way convoluted.

But that's not the point of my disagreement with you. My disagreement is thst I think it is perfectly reasonable that when the person who makes the actual science fantasy drama says "more than ever" and the opposite of a reduction, that he is most likely to be talking in the context of the show that he makes - the science fantasy drama.

If we later discover he actually meant shows about the show that are being made by other people, then it is very reasonable for people to think he was not clear enough to begin with. Given that , as you say, there is a big difference.

On the one hand you say there is a big difference between the show and shows about the show and then in the very next post you say there is practically no difference between these two things. Not very consistent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, that's where we disagree. Is the drama An Adventure in Space and Time a DW programme? Well, it would appear to be so,.

But I am not getting into some convoluted, tortuous argument as to what a DW programme is or is not.

So, it seems that for some, all that they want and expect are more DW episodes (does that include repeats of new Who, repeats of old Who?) Some seem to expect only more new DW episodes. Others seem to be looking forward to DW-related programmes such as An Adventure in Space & Time.

Whilst there is a possibility that the BBC will provide a mixture, pleasing some, and displeasing others.

And no amount of arguing the toss will make that any the clearer until the plans and schedules are made known.

I am looking forward to all these things. As are many people. But my anticipation of enjoying the related programmes and events has no bearing whatsoever on fact that the people who make the actual show have said some muddled and misleading things about the actual show.

We are all looking forward to the Gatiss drama. its going to be brilliant. But its not an episode of DW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the one hand you say there is a big difference between the show and shows about the show and then in the very next post you say there is practically no difference between these two things. Not very consistent.
    Whoa - I cannot let that one pass by.

Of course there is a difference between the two per se. I have not denied it.

But when it come to the phrase "more Doctor Who then ever before " (the context of the discussion as far as I am concerned) then because the phrase "more Doctor Who" is in itself imprecise, I have (quite rightly in my view) stated that it COULD cover many things - episodes as well as related programming. Yes, in relation to that phrase "more Doctor Who", there is no difference between the two (but that admission only relates to that phrase).

Context is king.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Looks like I may be getting my wish. Toby Whithouse has brought an end to Being Human, meaning he'll be free to take over Doctor Who later this year...

Having said that, he wouldn't be my first choice - that would be Paul Cornell. But I think there's something to be inferred here.
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But when it come to the phrase "more Doctor Who then ever before " (the context of the discussion as far as I am concerned) then because the phrase "more Doctor Who" is in itself imprecise, I have (quite rightly in my view) stated that it COULD cover many things - episodes as well as related programming. Yes, in relation to that phrase "more Doctor Who", there is no difference between the two (but that admission only relates to that phrase).

Context is king.

The only thing you got right was your final line, "Context is king." I suggest you refer back to the interview with SM to actually review the context.

He was answering a question regarding the series reduction. He replied that that wasn't true and the exact opposite was true, there would be more DW than ever before. So the context is with regard to actual episodes of the series, nothing else.

You are the one guilty of taking the statement out of context.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Context is king.

Exactly. The context being that the people who make the show were talking about the show in the context of the show. So it is very reasonable for people to have thought the context of the comments was the show. "you dont reduce a programme like this."

You appear to be wanting to criticise people who thought Moffat was talking in the context of the show for thinking that he meant the show, whilst at the same time saying that what he said was so imprecise as to be able to mean just about anything. Well, where is the sense in giving credit to Moffat for saying things that are almost meaningless? Surely we don't admire vague and meaningless statements?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    The only thing you got right was your final line, "Context is king." I suggest you refer back to the interview with SM to actually review the context.

He was answering a question regarding the series reduction. He replied that that wasn't true and the exact opposite was true, there would be more DW than ever before. So the context is with regard to actual episodes of the series, nothing else.

You are the one guilty of taking the statement out of context.

That statement, even in the context of the answer given can still be taken both ways (either intentionally or otherwise) - see below before posting an answer.

Was Moff being clever with words? I don't know, only Moff knows. Was he unclear? Yes. Was that lack of clarity intentional? Only Moff knows. Did he set out to deceive? Only Moff knows the answer to that. Was he spinning a line? Only Moff knows the answer to that.

And as I have been at pains to point out several times now I was ONLY referring to the phrase "more Doctor Who than ever before" (yes, it now appears that it was not in the full context, a context that in all fairness I did ask to be clarified earlier in relation to an earlier comment regarding the series reduction).

But I see that I am getting nowhere here, so I will leave you all to your moaning and accusations of lying.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    You know what, when someone says something that isn't explicit and might be open to interpretation, most people would wait for the clarification and then say, "Oh, so that's what you meant. Fair enough, now I understand." *

But no, not here. Apparently the right thing to do is jump to a conclusion and then call the speaker a liar and a weasel when things don't match your prematurely raised expectations.

Whatever happened to civility?

* (Or even, "Oh, I thought you meant new episodes. But you just meant Doctor Who-related material in general. That's disappointing, but hey, my mistake.")
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is the point in standing up for people when they give answers to questions that can be taken to mean one thing and the opposite of that thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You know what, when someone says something that isn't explicit and might be open to interpretation, most people would wait for the clarification and then say, "Oh, so that's what you meant. Fair enough, now I understand." *

But no, not here. Apparently the right thing to do is jump to a conclusion and then call the speaker a liar and a weasel when things don't match your prematurely raised expectations.

Whatever happened to civility?

* (Or even, "Oh, I thought you meant new episodes. But you just meant Doctor Who-related material in general. That's disappointing, but hey, my mistake.")

I agree with this. The team have botched some communications but that's not a crime. There isn't more Who than ever, and that's a shame. But it isn't because Moffat is some kind of monster or idiot. Even if he isn't perfect it doesn't make him a bad man.

I think it is entirely reasonable that people thought he meant new episodes. But it seems either he didn't mean that, or he did mean that but unfortunately can't provide them.

Probably best to get on with looking forward to the Gatiss thing and as yet unannounced surprises and put the past behind us.

Putting the past behind us doesn't mean pretending it didn't happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also wonder where all these voices of moderation and reason were when the various statements were actually made? When forum members used them as justification for making optimistic posts about lots of actual episodes and telling people who thought otherwise to be quiet?

I don't recall getting a whole lot of backup for saying things along the very lines of "these appear to be vague and ambiguous statements that are unlikely to mean what you think they mean.". I called it spin.

I'm glad that other people are now happy to admit that the answers to questions about actual episodes of the show were sidestepping answers involving actual episodes of the show.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a simple explanation. The BBC are obviously idiots.

I mean,look at what the American BBC are doing in America. A lot more than the BBC over here are doing. We should be having the 'Doctor Who revisited' documentaries,not them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit: On the positive side Tom Spilsbury has been quoted as mentioning "anniversary episodes", which might indicate more than just the one episode that BBC Worldwide told the toy industry to expect. Of course Tom has posted on this forum to remind us that he is a journalist and dependent on what the production team tell him, rather than direct personal knowledge. But we can cross fingers. Unfortunately two specials still wouldn't amount to more than ever, but would be nice all the same.
    I think he said "episodes for late 2013." Which - it takes about nine months to put a series in the can. If they kept filming after the anniversary special, I reckon it's plausible that they could get a short run of episodes ready in time to start broadcasting 30th November. Keep Doctor Who running between the anniversary and Christmas.

They wouldn't want to tell us anything right now cos it'd draw focus away from S7B, or whatever it's called now. A run following the anniversary is far from a cert, but it's very feasible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That statement, even in the context of the answer given can still be taken both ways .

He was challenged on the reduction of the series itself. He replied that there wasn't a reduction and that the opposite was true. That can only be taken one way. There is nothing vague about it. He was asked about the episodes and he answered regarding the episodes. What is so difficult about that. He lied. We all know he lied, it's just that some desperately wanted it to be true and defended him and now that they realise the truth they try to defend it with "yeah but...." tosh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    I think he said "episodes for late 2013." Which - it takes about nine months to put a series in the can. If they kept filming after the anniversary special, I reckon it's plausible that they could get a short run of episodes ready in time to start broadcasting 30th November. Keep Doctor Who running between the anniversary and Christmas.

They wouldn't want to tell us anything right now cos it'd draw focus away from S7B, or whatever it's called now. A run following the anniversary is far from a cert, but it's very feasible.

Thanks for correcting my misquote. "late 2013 episodes" it is.

Either way - a nice thought.

This would be terrific and what could most likely bring us up to a regular series worth. Now that several here are in agreement that many of the previous statements were and are too vague to be worth repeating I'm looking forward to seeing that Tom's "episodes" is a fuller picture than BBC Worldwide's "1x60 mins".

I would dearly love to be exposed as a nonsense monger in regard to the likelihood of "more than ever".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite thing about that, as a theory, is that it actually could total more Doctor Who than ever before. Series 7b is March to May, so that'd be...

1. 30th March
    2. 6th April
    3. 13th April
    4. 20th April
    5. 27th April
    6. 4th May
    7. 11th May
    8. 18th May

Anniversary special is almost certainly November 23rd, so that gives us...

9. 23rd November.

If they were then to keep running through 'til the Christmas Special's upon us - which is plausible, since a. they'd want to milk the anniversary goodwill, and b. we've heard words of "Late 2013 episodes" plural, the schedule could be along the lines of...

10. 30th November
    11. 7th December
    12. 14th December
    13. 21st December
    14. 25th December

...so there's just enough room for a full series' worth of episodes.

I'm aware that I'm being very optimistic, and this is essentially the best possible scenario, but add the books, the docu-drama, the classic episodes, the interviews, the stamps, the specials in other programmes. I'm sure the Doctor Who Experience would do something. "More Doctor Who than ever before," even with what we know, doesn't sound entirely implausible. Especially because that's a hell of a way to kick off a run! The amount of publicity an anniversary episode would attract - it could be bigger than Rose! They'd want to use that, they'd want to be absolutely sure that goodwill doesn't go to waste.

I'm like you, I'm keen not to get my hopes up lest they be dashed, so I'm very much telling myself that this isn't the most likely version of events. But it's a possible scenario that I keep thinking about, and one that would fit both the filming schedule and a lot of the more baffling PR and interview snippets.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,932
    Forum Member
    That statement, even in the context of the answer given can still be taken both ways (either intentionally or otherwise) - see below before posting an answer.

Was Moff being clever with words? I don't know, only Moff knows. Was he unclear? Yes. Was that lack of clarity intentional? Only Moff knows. Did he set out to deceive? Only Moff knows the answer to that. Was he spinning a line? Only Moff knows the answer to that.

And as I have been at pains to point out several times now I was ONLY referring to the phrase "more Doctor Who than ever before" (yes, it now appears that it was not in the full context, a context that in all fairness I did ask to be clarified earlier in relation to an earlier comment regarding the series reduction).

But I see that I am getting nowhere here, so I will leave you all to your moaning and accusations of lying.

That's the thing with Moffat though. He loves being clever with words and being ambiguous, deceiving the audience, keeping them on their toes etc. Just look at the secret commissioning of series 3 of Sherlock, or previous statements he has made about the Doctors "death" in series 6, the Clara / Oswin mystery etc etc.

I don't think he does any of it with any malice though and it's to not spoil things for viewers and hold back surprises.

I actually don't begrudge Moffatt one thing but I do think it would have been helpful is some more precise statements could have been made by the BBC PR department, commissioners, or channel controllers...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My favourite thing about that, as a theory, is that it actually could total more Doctor Who than ever before. Series 7b is March to May, so that'd be...

1. 30th March
    2. 6th April
    3. 13th April
    4. 20th April
    5. 27th April
    6. 4th May
    7. 11th May
    8. 18th May

9. 23rd November.

If they were then to keep running through 'til the Christmas Special's upon us - which is plausible, since a. they'd want to milk the anniversary goodwill, and b. we've heard words of "Late 2013 episodes" plural, the schedule could be along the lines of...

10. 30th November
    11. 7th December
    12. 14th December
    13. 21st December
    14. 25th December

I'm aware that I'm being very optimistic, and this is essentially the best possible scenario, but add the books, the docu-drama, the classic episodes, the interviews, the stamps, the specials in other programmes. I'm sure the Doctor Who Experience would do something. "More Doctor Who than ever before," even with what we know, doesn't sound entirely implausible. Especially because that's a hell of a way to kick off a run! The amount of publicity an anniversary episode would attract - it could be bigger than Rose! They'd want to use that, they'd want to be absolutely sure that goodwill doesn't go to waste.

I'm like you, I'm keen not to get my hopes up lest they be dashed, so I'm very much telling myself that this isn't the most likely version of events. But it's a possible scenario that I keep thinking about, and one that would fit both the filming schedule and a lot of the more baffling PR and interview snippets.

*shuts eyes and wishes very hard*
    Yay! Could be true.

*red mist descends*
    :). But what about the episodes needed to make up for only six in 2012?

*dashes teacup against wall in anger*

The BBC personally owe me those! I've paid my licence fee. But can I stream brand new episodes of Pertwee era style Who directly to my favourite park bench? Can I hell. Steven Moffat asked Tom Spilsbury to appear to me in a dream promising me precisely that.

*goes green and shreds purple trousers*
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,932
    Forum Member
    nyder wrote: »
    He was challenged on the reduction of the series itself. He replied that there wasn't a reduction and that the opposite was true. That can only be taken one way. There is nothing vague about it. He was asked about the episodes and he answered regarding the episodes. What is so difficult about that. He lied. We all know he lied, it's just that some desperately wanted it to be true and defended him and now that they realise the truth they try to defend it with "yeah but...." tosh.

To give Moffat the benefit of the doubt perhaps he believed it to be true when he said it, but then things changed?

Or maybe what he said will still come to pass... unlikely but maybe :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    That's the thing with Moffat though. He loves being clever with words and being ambiguous, deceiving the audience, keeping them on their toes etc. Just look at the secret commissioning of series 3 of Sherlock, or previous statements he has made about the Doctors "death" in series 6, the Clara / Oswin mystery etc etc.

I don't think he does any of it with any malice though and it's to not spoil things for viewers and hold back surprises.

I actually don't begrudge Moffatt one thing but I do think it would have been helpful is some more precise statements could have been made by the BBC PR department, commissioners, or channel controllers...[/QUOTE

This is my way of thinking. I dont care if Moffat can or can't write scripts as quickly as RTD or whatever. He's a top talent the BBC should nurture and support people like him. If he isn't brilliant as a spokesman - so what? The BBC should have stepped in and made someone else the public face. I don't know but I think the BBC have mismanaged some aspects of the show. Failing to help Moffat might be part of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. 30th March
    2. 6th April
    3. 13th April
    4. 20th April
    5. 27th April
    6. 4th May
    7. 11th May
    8. 18th May

9. 23rd November.

10. 30th November
    11. 7th December
    12. 14th December
    13. 21st December
    14. 25th December

Believe me I really really really wish you were correct. (though I think not)

However it doesn't seem likely,. Especially as MS is off to film his new film with Ryan Gosling after he's finished filming the anniversary special.

MMMMM. Unless, of course, we have a new Doctor for the new series.