Can't access settings or apps on Android tablet

I have had an unbranded Android tablet for the past year which has worked very well. I switched it on yesterday and AVG anti virus reported that I had a security threat and that my tablet had been rooted - not that I fully understand this.
I thought that I could uninstall recent apps to see if this solved the problem and if all else fails restore the default settings.
However when I try to access settings or apps, the app appears for about 2 seconds and then reverts to the home screen.
Can anyone suggest how to overcome this and if all else fails can I revert to the defaults in some other way.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Roy

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my android tablet, rebooting it by pressing and holding the volume up key and the power button simultaneously forces a reboot and resets settings etc.
    It won't get rid of any rogue apps though, but might give you back access.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unless you've been installing apps from somewhere other than the Play Store, I'd suspect that AVG is reporting a false positive. Tablets don't tend to get rooted arbitrarily by rogue apps.

I'd start with a factory reset/full wipe. and check if its still rooted.
  • royforsterroyforster Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    unless you've been installing apps from somewhere other than the Play Store, I'd suspect that AVG is reporting a false positive. Tablets don't tend to get rooted arbitrarily by rogue apps.

I'd start with a factory reset/full wipe. and check if its still rooted.

Thanks Paul - as I can't run settings, I'm not sure how to do a factory reset. Any suggestions please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    royforster wrote: »
    Thanks Paul - as I can't run settings, I'm not sure how to do a factory reset. Any suggestions please?

it will vary a little by model, but on most you can do so by e.g. turning it on holding down the volume down button and the power button (Nexus 7 reset procedure; samsung is the same I think).

Even if you can't access the normal settings menu, you should be able to wipe it like this.

You can also do this via Android Device Manager.(but only if you'd already connected to that service)
    https://google.com/android/devicemanager
    Forum Member
    it will vary a little by model, but on most you can do so by e.g. turning it on holding down the volume down button and the power button (Nexus 7 reset procedure; samsung is the same I think).

Even if you can't access the normal settings menu, you should be able to wipe it like this.

You can also do this via Android Device Manager.(but only if you'd already connected to that service)
    https://google.com/android/devicemanager

Thanks again. My tablet doesn't respond to the power/volume option:-(. I logged on the android device manager but the only option I could see was lock and erase. I doesn't seem that I should do that. Any more suggestions please?
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    On my android tablet, rebooting it by pressing and holding the volume up key and the power button simultaneously forces a reboot and resets settings etc.
    It won't get rid of any rogue apps though, but might give you back access.

Thanks emptybox. That solution doesn't work on my tablet:-(
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    root it, its easy, so Android people tell me.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even unbranded tablets have a brand.

Just follow the firmware advice for that brand you have.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tablets don't tend to get rooted arbitrarily by rogue apps.

However a cheap generic Android Tablet may come prerooted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    royforster wrote: »
    Thanks again. My tablet doesn't respond to the power/volume option:-(. I logged on the android device manager but the only option I could see was lock and erase. I doesn't seem that I should do that. Any more suggestions please?

There should be separate options for lock and erase... Erase is *exactly* what you want. This will restore your device to factory default settings.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - good advice has been given here.

1. Your tablet does have a brand - even if it's a little known one. Find out what that is (check the box, the instructions booklet, the back of the casing) and then get on Google for some help.

2. Failing that, look on the instructions for the type of CPU (eg mine is an Allwinner A10) as tablets that use the same ones share similar features as regards resetting.

3. Check the tablet thoroughly (use a torch - especially if it's black) and see if you can see a hole anywhere that you would be able to fit a pin into.

If there is one, this will definitely be the reset hole and that's exactly what you do with it, ie stick a pin into it and hold it there for about 10 seconds. This will restore the tablet to the state it was in when you took it out of the box.

4. Go on YouTube and type in 'Bricked Android Tablet' and you'll find tons and tons of videos - it's likely someone else has had the same issue with the same tablet as yours.

Good luck!

ETA: AVG hasn't done anything to your tablet so if it's saying that it's rooted then it came to you in that state.

Don't worry - this is a GOOD thing and when you get up-and-running (I'm about 95% sure you will be) I'll explain how you can install some recovery tools so this won't happen to you again.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    3. Check the tablet thoroughly (use a torch - especially if it's black) and see if you can see a hole anywhere that you would be able to fit a pin into.

If there is one, this will definitely be the reset hole and that's exactly what you do with it, ie stick a pin into it and hold it there for about 10 seconds. This will restore the tablet to the state it was in when you took it out of the box.

Or the microphone.